Sponsored by:

TireRack...Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 11:31 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts
Default TireRack...Tire Rack

A few months ago I bought a set of used 19s off Rennlist to do some occasional track days in order to save my street tires for the street. Originally I bought a tire rack onAmazon for $38ish dollars but it didn't work for me. I swear my studs (2x4 in the walls for you non construction minded) are neither 16 nor 24" on center. The Tire Rack...rack is nice because you can mount to the wall in a much more flexible manner and it also allows for flexibility in terms of tire size.

An odd bit - the rack was packed in 3 cardboard boxes and then wrapped up in some nice poly-cloth to protect from scratching. Honestly it was way too much packaging but as always, better more than less. Net net is my tires are now off my garage floor (I hate disorganization) and now I have a cleaner garage. Bottom line, don't buy the one off Amazon and get one that is more flexible. I am sure there are other solutions out there but this one worked well for me...other than filling up my recycling container.

Is that not a lot of box for a simple rack? I know this is a fairly useless post but I am so happy to have my tires hanging now! Now on to Chuckwalla at the end of the month to tear up my play tires!

The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:35 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice but being so high up aren't you afraid to drop one and have it bounce all around...?
Old 01-03-2020, 11:36 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice but being so high up aren't you afraid to drop one when putting them up or bringing them down and have it bounce all around...?
Also isn't it a pain on your back?
Old 01-03-2020, 11:43 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by afk
Nice but being so high up aren't you afraid to drop one when putting them up or bringing them down and have it bounce all around...?
Also isn't it a pain on your back?
Funny enough I almost dropped one on my wife's Prius...which I am sure would have made folks on this board very happy . Hopefully she will be moving to a Range Rover soon so I can buy a trailer to tow my car to the track.

I can handle the lift for another 10 years hopefully...
NJ991 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:52 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts

I have the same tire totes....pretty handy to move them around. I think the packaging woes are attributed to the rack manufacturer. I've had several purchases with the same issue, most recent was a TV stand that filled my recycle bin with tons of cardboard and all kinds of wrapping material.
Wujohn (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:52 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Funny enough I almost dropped one on my wife's Prius...which I am sure would have made folks on this board very happy . Hopefully she will be moving to a Range Rover soon so I can buy a trailer to tow my car to the track.

got my wife move from volt to ‘19 g63..lol!
Old 01-03-2020, 11:56 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fester
got my wife move from volt to ‘19 g63..lol!
What an upgrade!
Old 01-04-2020, 02:18 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same snow tires against the ceiling tire rack storage as the OP. After my last trip up and down the ladder, I was wondering if anyone has a pulley or something mounted to the ceiling to lift the wheels and make this an easier job?
Old 01-04-2020, 02:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

How many wide-grip pull ups can you do?
Old 01-04-2020, 02:42 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Safety rope/pulley might help and save your back.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:48 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Good job!
I hope you used good lag bolts for that rail. And hit the center of the studs. And quite a few studs. If that cut loose, the damage to cars would be devastating. Maybe put 1 ratchet strap through them all so what loosely with the ends attached to the frame. That way if something failed, they would at least still in the air still.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:14 PM
realityintrudes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I swear my studs (2x4 in the walls for you non construction minded) are neither 16 nor 24" on center. The Tire Rack...rack is nice because you can mount to the wall in a much more flexible manner and it also allows for flexibility in terms of tire size.
Bottom line, don't buy the one off Amazon and get one that is more flexible.
Dittos on the TireRack version. I researched 10+years ago and it solved my concerns about stud placements, weight distribution when full, and the final width is actually adjustable as well. I put two up next to each other and can fit twelve (8 are non-P car width) tires, though I usually have to put 1-2 on top of the ones sitting in it regularly.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:30 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,124 Likes on 669 Posts

Nice work! I have one by the brand “tireloft” and it has been good to me. Holds 4-5 tires (depending on width) and has been up for 4+ years with no issues.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
How many wide-grip pull ups can you do?
You need two hands to do a pull up...psssh!

Originally Posted by BSO
Safety rope/pulley might help and save your back.
My back is good - wheels are heavy but not THAT heavy.

Originally Posted by Jack F
Good job!
I hope you used good lag bolts for that rail. And hit the center of the studs. And quite a few studs. If that cut loose, the damage to cars would be devastating. Maybe put 1 ratchet strap through them all so what loosely with the ends attached to the frame. That way if something failed, they would at least still in the air still.
Some people were born with a silver spoon in their mouth...I was born with a rusty claw hammer in mine. It is in there solid; double-sided tape is pretty strong, right?

Originally Posted by polobai
Nice work! I have one by the brand “tireloft” and it has been good to me. Holds 4-5 tires (depending on width) and has been up for 4+ years with no issues.

And it also has enough space for a tennis racket!
Old 01-04-2020, 06:21 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,136 Likes on 1,463 Posts

That's about 400 lb on the wall, you really have to make sure you are well attached to the studs and not just a couple of lag bolts. I had one of those I made out of Aluminum tubing and welded it up myself. They're great, but two other cautions. 1) Make sure the cars are out of the garage when you load / un-load because of the wheels gets at all sideways it will drop down and through the bottom and all hell breaks loose. 2) It will wreck your back carrying a wheel tire up there on a ladder and back down. Eight trips to swap a set out. Eventually I gave up on my rig and sold it, was just too hard to get them up and down. But good luck with it.

Quick Reply: TireRack...Tire Rack