Sponsored by:

TireRack...Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,769 Likes on 884 Posts

I use this instead, because of concerns with mounting on wall
Plus with two sets of winter tires, would need 2x wall kit vs only one cart, as it will hold 1000lbs

http://www.trustacktiredolly.com/trustack-information

Old 01-04-2020, 08:30 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,015 Posts

That's really cool. Thanks for posting. It's giving me some ideas.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:39 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
That's about 400 lb on the wall, you really have to make sure you are well attached to the studs and not just a couple of lag bolts. I had one of those I made out of Aluminum tubing and welded it up myself. They're great, but two other cautions. 1) Make sure the cars are out of the garage when you load / un-load because of the wheels gets at all sideways it will drop down and through the bottom and all hell breaks loose. 2) It will wreck your back carrying a wheel tire up there on a ladder and back down. Eight trips to swap a set out. Eventually I gave up on my rig and sold it, was just too hard to get them up and down. But good luck with it.
The rack is not going anywhere - it is very secure. Note also that the design of the rack helps distribute the load at the bottom (foot pads that press against the wall) so it is not only hanging off the lag bolts in the studs. Completely agree about having the wheels go sideways when loading/unloading and will take precautions to avoid a mishap. As to the lifting of the wheels, unless something catastrophic happens to me it really isn't a big deal carrying them up a ladder but with all the warnings I am feeling more manly now . Of course, now that I've said this I am going to be posting about my back problem in a few weeks...

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
I use this instead, because of concerns with mounting on wall
Plus with two sets of winter tires, would need 2x wall kit vs only one cart, as it will hold 1000lbs

http://www.trustacktiredolly.com/trustack-information
Mental issue for me - really needed them up and away. If I were tracking the car every 3-4 weeks the cart would likely be a better solution.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:24 PM
realityintrudes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
That's about 400 lb on the wall, you really have to make sure you are well attached to the studs and not just a couple of lag bolts. I had one of those I made out of Aluminum tubing and welded it up myself. They're great, but two other cautions. 1) Make sure the cars are out of the garage when you load / un-load because of the wheels gets at all sideways it will drop down and through the bottom and all hell breaks loose. 2) It will wreck your back carrying a wheel tire up there on a ladder and back down. Eight trips to swap a set out.
As partial repayment for the all the helpful info I have gleaned over the years, I thought I would show you all my setup. It is my first photo upload and wasn't hard, but when using satellite internet it takes a long time for quote replies to open and even longer for photo uploads... so other newbies don't fear. At some point I will research how to handle multi-quotes.

With the TireRack units you have the ability to place multiple lag bolts. I bought my own to be able to do so, and made them longer than those supplied. Some may say overkill, but I believe in doing it completely the first time and not having to do it over later. The support bars that hold the tires telescope in length to match the distance you desire. My spread to the right was limited by a door that opens to the outside, but I could still use studs beyond the end into that space to place more lag bolts.

For sharp eyes, these are all Subaru-width summer tires. My old P-car track rims (which I now realize were way narrower than what I will have in the future) were subsequently disposed many years ago, after I sold my 1973 911 with a monster 2.8 motor. Oh do I really miss that power, but I don't miss the rust or the track-PTSF (post-traumatic spin-fear) that was ever-present from an early instructor who thought it was 'good' to have me experience a tail-swap (without warning me that he was going to push me to that point in one of our sessions). I expect my next 911 purchase will include placing another rack up to the left of the door. It will be for the dedicated snow-ice tires I plan to get. I won't fear winter tire dry rot because I enjoy even my Forester in the winter such that I need to replace at least two Blizzaks every year to keep sufficient snow depth.

two TireRack tire racks side-by-side offset using more studs for support
Old 01-05-2020, 09:26 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by afk
Nice but being so high up aren't you afraid to drop one and have it bounce all around...?
If you are really ****, secure those tires with a bunji cord strap across the front. You do live in earthquake country, right? All four bouncing on your prized Porsche during a shaker would not make your day.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:57 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Since we are sharing here is my setup, its in the laundry room, built a custom height table from some left over materials around the house, so that it could accommodate large wheels underneath. Can fit about two sets of wheels down below, and its temperature controlled so not much to worry about. Right now only my porsche tires and wheels are down there (I have two spares at the moment) by next season it will be back to 8 across with my wife's BMW.

Quick Reply: TireRack...Tire Rack