Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First-time Porsche buyer...can anyone help me pressure test my thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 07:29 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Not in my experience, especially Porsche owners. Why worry about the next guy? Sure, take care of the car and all, but geez you are spending a considerable amount of money for *your* enjoyment - get what you want. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
This is certainly my position. It just stood out to me that someone would suggest that buying a blue car would be foolish because their resale isn't as high as other colors. For the money, I'm certainly more focused on what I'll enjoy driving and looking at than I am thinking about how much I'll get when I sell it. Besides, if that's actually true, I assume the 'color discount' will be baked into the car that I buy.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:58 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 558 Likes on 297 Posts

Get what YOU want. Don't worry about what the next owner wants or what people on the internet think regarding color. Go for blue, you might be surprised. I had to give up one thing I wanted but can live without when this came along, but it had so much more. Had to have it. Just be ready to pull the trigger when it shows up.

Rich_Jenkins (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:41 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Stalker
Thanks for the PDCC feedback, Dave. Like many of the options I'm considering, that's certainly one that'll need to be experienced before rendering any final judgment of whether it's a 'must-have', 'nice-to-have', 'don't care' or 'don't want' item.
The underlying point is: If you find one that tickles your fancy with PDCC, don't cull it from your list of candidates just because it has PDCC since PDCC is useful on the street as well as on the track. PDCC isn't a must have though.

Also, if you find one with PDCC it will have RAS too.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:16 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Catharpin
Just be ready to pull the trigger when it shows up.
That is a pretty car! I totally considered blue; silver, blue, chalk, gray; all would have been ok to me. I just ended up with GT silver which probably has been done to death, but I happen to like silver. I am also weird in that I think the orange front indicator lights look good when most replace them with LED clear assemblies. So I'm not a real good person to ask about colors

Also, Just to emphasize the above point in bold. If you find what you are looking for, I'd jump on it with both feet.
Catharpin (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 07:18 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

This is certainly my position. It just stood out to me that someone would suggest that buying a blue car would be foolish because their resale isn't as high as other colors. For the money, I'm certainly more focused on what I'll enjoy driving and looking at than I am thinking about how much I'll get when I sell it. Besides, if that's actually true, I assume the 'color discount' will be baked into the car that I buy.
There you go.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:38 AM
911Stalker
Advanced

Get what YOU want. Don't worry about what the next owner wants or what people on the internet think regarding color. Go for blue, you might be surprised. I had to give up one thing I wanted but can live without when this came along, but it had so much more. Had to have it. Just be ready to pull the trigger when it shows up.
Now that’s what I’m talking about! Great car! Love the satin wheels with the blue. I think I need to make a stack-ranked list of desirable colors, but night blue is definitely on top.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:26 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

I'm curious: what did you give up with this car that was on your original wish list? I know that we're all different in terms of what we will/won't concede on, but I'm interested in your thought process.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Yeah, the T isn't in play for the reasons I stated. I'm about 15 years past the point where that car would appeal to me.
Don't count out the T so quick! I found mine with 18-way leather heated and cooled seats - they are out there!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1166...l#post16206355
Old 01-06-2020, 06:55 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

I'm curious: what did you give up with this car that was on your original wish list? I know that we're all different in terms of what we will/won't concede on, but I'm interested in your thought process.
Sport chrono, it was one of the things on my list because it can't be added later. I used that in my negotiation, making it like I was giving something up. The more research I have done, I am actually glad I didn't get it as the benefit to a manual car is questionable at best. I can blip the throttle when I want and it's one less thing to go wrong. On the flip side, I got full leather and premium plus which are 2 items I didn't have on the list but am really happy to have.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:54 PM
Kenal0
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

You misspelled Turbo
Old 01-10-2020, 01:11 AM
911Stalker
Advanced

I appreciate the ongoing input! While I can sort of understand the GTS recommendations, I don’t think that’s the best path for me:

- As I mentioned, I don’t want center-lock wheels...that greatly reduces the number of legitimate choices
- I’m not a big fan of black wheels, which means that I’d either need to find one without those or buy some new shoes
- Also don’t want Alcantara, so it would have to be one where that was deleted
- I really do expect to drive this daily, so that means I’ll probably put on 8-10k miles per year...that seems like a bit much for a GTS compared to the mileage I’m seeing on many of them, which brings me to...
- Holding value: while I can agree that a GTS will hold its value more than the other lower trims, it’ll probably cost about $10-$20k more for comparable mileage, and I plan to keep the car for a long time. I’m not ignoring resale, but this is more of an enjoyment decision, so the car will probably have higher than average miles by the time I eventually get rid of it.

You all are way more knowledgeable about these cars than I am, but I definitely know what’s important to me and think that for me the exact right GTS (including price) would prove to be way more difficult than finding one of the others that I’d love. At this point, it’s down to deciding between those 4 cars and what options, prices and colors are available.

That said, I remain open to additional feedback about the drivetrains and options that I’ve highlighted. I’ll be starting to drive cars soon, and I’m hopeful that starts making it easier to better rank and exclude some of my criteria.

Last edited by 911Stalker; 01-23-2020 at 01:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911Stalker:
Rich_Jenkins (01-22-2020), scr1244 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 08:36 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't get too hung up on residual value. It's much about the owner and proper documentation of maintenance. See this recent sale, 2013 with 105K, up to date with clean DME and all records.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-speed-manual/

Also if you like the GTS look you can always get a C4 or C4S with the sport design kit (XAT) and it will look pretty much the same minus the CL wheels and alcantera that you don't want anyway.
911Stalker (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 02:46 AM
thedoctorfitntwk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome post! I graduate med school in May of this year, and I plan on buying one a couple months after as a gift for myself. I'm pretty much want an almost (minus color) identical car you're looking for. Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:42 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
GTS does not have to have CL.
Drive a base. It it surprisingly fast. Oddly very low production car.
Reconsider 2017.
I had a 2017 C2 for just over 2 years and 46,000 kms and ZERO problems. Regarding interior colors, I've found black to be the easiest to make look "new" if looking for a used car. Good luck in your search..thats half the fun. You're going to LOVE it!. Mine is away for the winter (too much unplowed snow in the middle of our sidestreets) and its driving me crazy
Old 01-22-2020, 07:47 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default you want an S .1

MT, SC, sunroof delete. Buy and hold. You have actually interacted with this thread which is great. You also want PSE but that is 1500 to add so no worries. Also the stock steering wheel is crap but if i remember correctly that is only around 1k to replace withthe sport version. The GTS carries a premium price but i dont think long term it will hold the value of gt3/gt2. Its is a porsche marketing experiment which if you know what happened to R values has not done well lately. They did better with the T. The S with a power kit is kind of a holy grail car but finding one someone has not busted a hole in the roof is near impossible.

Quick Reply: First-time Porsche buyer...can anyone help me pressure test my thinking?