Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First-time Porsche buyer...can anyone help me pressure test my thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 11:04 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Just a few random personal thoughts and opinions:

I am a hardcore MT user, but can endorse PDK for use in traffic. And with PDK you should have SC.

I also endorse 2WD. Yes, AWD can help but unless you drive on snow 6 months of the year (like I did in Alaska, and owned a C4 then), good winter tires and driving skill can more than handle occasional snow. I do that now in Colorado. And AWD will always compromise the steering feel.

I am very happy with my C2 base model--more than enough power on the street. Make a decision about your need for the S based on other features.

The 2017 models, like me, seem pretty robust so far. I would not hesitate to own one.
The following 2 users liked this post by bkrantz:
911Stalker (01-02-2020), Rich_Jenkins (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 12:30 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Sport Chrono is a must.

I endorse PSE and it can be added afterwards if the car you pick doesn’t have it.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:37 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 422 Likes on 303 Posts
Default sc

Does Sports chrono no longer include pdcc, i know in the .1's it was part of the package.

I think i I have the 4 ways but on my option list it has a charge item for sport seats. These are perfect even on long trips. Im 6"1 and 220.

Sunroof detracts from value for some people and I would never have on a track car. After all why drill a hole in a perfectly good roof. Adds stuff to fail and takes away from structural rigity.

In your price range I would get a T. It is a nice package.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 01:31 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Bud Taylor My understanding is that PDCC is an option separate from the Sport Package and Sport Chrono in the .2 -and is only available in the S trim level. Sport Chrono gives you the dash-mounted clock/stopwatch, the steering wheel-mounted mode selector, launch control, sport response, and dynamic engine mounts. I hope someone here will tell me if I'm wrong, or I'll find out when I start seeing cars in person.

Sports Seats Plus are shown as 4-way electric on the .2 options list (P05) and build sheets I've seen. 14-ways are called Fully Electric Sports Seats (P06) and 18-ways are Adaptive Sports Seats Plus (P07). Most cars I'm seeing come with the 14-way, either as a stand-alone option or as part of the Premium Plus package.

You make good points about the sunroof, both in terms of being another point of failure and structural strength - I need to drive a couple with and without to see how the additional light impacts the cabin feel and whether they add squeaks and maintenance/service issues. I'm not sure I'm on board with thinking it devalues the car, but I guess that comes down to how the rest of the car is configured and who its most likely next target market is. It's something to consider, but any car I buy will be mainly for my personal enjoyment, not as an investment. Yes, I probably want to be able to resell the car at some point (if I don't leave it to my daughter), but I expect to own it for a long time, so the residual value difference between with & without a sunroof should be relatively insignificant compared to whatever my enjoyment level along the way.

RE the T, it's nice but just not what I'm looking for in a quasi daily driver at this stage of my life. I'm comfortable admitting that, in addition to sporty performance, I value creature comforts like leather seats with heating & ventilation, Entry & Drive, and door handles. It's hard to find a T with the right options. LOVE the satin platinum wheels, though

Let me know if you think of any additional comments - I love the input.

Last edited by 911Stalker; 01-02-2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-02-2020, 01:34 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Originally Posted by worf928
FWIW, PDCC actually increases ride quality and comfort when driving in a straight line. For a semi-daily driver on roads that I assume are no better than in the Boston area, PDCC makes a noticeable difference.
Thanks for the PDCC feedback, Dave. Like many of the options I'm considering, that's certainly one that'll need to be experienced before rendering any final judgment of whether it's a 'must-have', 'nice-to-have', 'don't care' or 'don't want' item.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:51 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thinc2

I think the benefit of the sunroof is to let in light during dreary weather. I almost never open mine, and tend to use the shade if it's super sunny out.
- My reasoning, exactly, along with occasionally letting in some additional air at lower speeds. I'm giving a lot of thought to how often I've used or paid attention to the sunroof in my last 3 cars. On the downside, it also lets in additional dirt and dust...TBD

I think you should take a look at a few cars with leather interior. For a daily driver this can make a big difference. In my opinion, it transforms the interior of the car. I'd rate this a 9/10.
- If you mean the leather interior trim, I'll take a look at some along the way to see if the in-person feel exceeds my impressions of the brushed aluminum look. Just personal taste and what I'm accustomed to.

SC - There are so many cars out there that have it, it seems strange to buy without it. I think it adds a lot to the driving experience. I'd rate it a 9/10, maybe 10/10.
- Yeah, even though I know I'll only use Launch Control a couple times when I first get it, I've driven my last 2 cars (non-Porsches) in sport mode 80% of the time. Plus, it would be a lot of fun to have Sport Plus on the track, even if it is only a few times a year.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:07 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You are looking for a pre-owned car and since you won't be ordering what you want, I'd recommend that you go for the most highly optioned one you can find. From what you show that you want, I'd definitely start looking at a GTS which will have many and more of what you need at a price that would be lower than ordered separately and hold its value longer. You'll be pleasantly surprised as you use it to find options you never thought of and wind up loving. I got mine off the lot and found this for myself. The only option that came with mine that I still shake my head over every time I fuel up, is the Aluminum colored gas cap (it cost me $160). Being from Chicago myself, I would put the all wheel drive high on your priority list. Which ever you get, I know you will love it. Good Luck and let us know what you finally get.
The following 2 users liked this post by goldduster:
911Stalker (01-02-2020), Rich_Jenkins (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 479 Posts

Chicago? Paging @LexVan .
Old 01-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Stalker

RE the T, it's nice but just not what I'm looking for in a quasi daily driver at this stage of my life. I'm comfortable admitting that, in addition to sporty performance, I value creature comforts like leather seats with heating & ventilation, Entry & Drive, and door handles. It's hard to find a T with the right options. LOVE the satin platinum wheels, though

FWiW I drove a 911T with the shport bucket seats October at the PEC Atlanta for my 1.5 hour session. Getting my butt in and out of those seats almost required the jaws of life lol. I can’t imagine them on a DD. HIGHLY recommend getting in and out before considering one.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Yeah, the T isn't in play for the reasons I stated. I'm about 15 years past the point where that car would appeal to me.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:56 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 222 Posts

Night blue metallic carrera S - all mine!
Old 01-02-2020, 09:48 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 526 Posts

I too recommend looking at the .2 GTS. Check out what it has and decide if it works. Value is there. The 4 GTS handled spirited driving at the Nurburgring so easily. The PDK was superb and allowed me to focus on the driving instead of the shifting. I got the end end faster and had oodles of fun. This car is plenty fast for me and I smile like a kid when I stomp on it. The PSE is plenty for me as well. In a tame color this car is a sleeper.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

911Stalker, too bad it's not April, I'd let you take a spin in my 2014 PowerKit, but it's sleeping right now. I do plan on selling it this year sometime, and try to get in-line for the upcoming 992 GT3 with a spring 2021 delivery:

Old 01-03-2020, 03:21 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Love seeing 'em topless, @LexVan ! Well, I've been through every car on the national Porsche list, so I have an idea of what's out there. I'll spend some time trying to drive one of each (C2/C2S/C4/C4S) and hopefully get a couple with the various suspension and exhaust options so I can narrow it down to a clear leader. THEN, I'll start looking more closely at those online to see if any jump out.

Quick question since I notice that one is white (but this is for anyone): How much does resale value affect your initial color buying decision? I really like the night blue color, followed by agate grey, graphite blue and then either white or silver. Someone else posted that blue cars don't hold their value as well, and though I didn't fully buy it, I priced some out on KBB and Edmunds and noticed that blue was dropped by about $600 while white was increased by $1000 in value. My goal isn't to buy this as an investment...it's a depreciating asset and I'm letting someone else take the biggest initial hit since I'm looking at '17s. I don't plan to sell the car in the foreseeable future, but who knows. Maybe it gets sold in a year. Or 5 years. Or, I keep it and leave it to one of my kids. Do a lot of people buy colors that should sell better instead of getting what they truly prefer?
Old 01-03-2020, 06:41 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Stalker
Do a lot of people buy colors that should sell better instead of getting what they truly prefer?
Not in my experience, especially Porsche owners. Why worry about the next guy? Sure, take care of the car and all, but geez you are spending a considerable amount of money for *your* enjoyment - get what you want. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Quick Reply: First-time Porsche buyer...can anyone help me pressure test my thinking?