Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 911S compared to my new Audi E-Tron

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019 | 12:27 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Imagine right after WW2 when the USA had the P-51D Mustang, arguably the finest performing piston engined fighter ever made. Then the guys that stayed in the service transitioned into jets, the F-80 Shooting Star. A totally different aircraft, unlike anything they experienced before. And from that day forward, it was nothing but jets up to an including today. Sure, there are still guys that own and race those P-51's and there's a big, quaint thrill to them. A nod to an era gone by. Not boring, but its no F-16. Today I just climbed back in the tail-draggin', shakin' and bakin' P-51 after a couple of weeks in a jet. It felt good, but it felt old.

The range and loiter time of the P-51 were far superior to that of the early jets, leaving it with a continuing useful operational role in ground support. Production of new updated P-51s for the counter insurgency role was seriously considered in the 1960s through the 1980s. Sound familiar?

For those of us who have not chosen multiple vehicle ownership and take extended trips to rural or semi-rural areas, the limited range and charging hassle make an EV a non-starter.

Last edited by verstraete; 12-29-2019 at 12:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019 | 12:27 PM
SF Neunelfer
Instructor

Until batteries technologies can move pass lithium, electric cars are a feel good option. Electricity is still being made by the old system in placed.

As a commuter car, it probably great. As a sport car, it’s missing soul. I’ve driven Tesla’s S dual motors, awesome torque, fit and finish is meh. After the initial excitement and novelty of the quick acceleration, it’s a now what moment.

True Electric sports car are still out of reach for us average Joe. Electric appliances, are just that..soulless commuter devices.

Maybe in a few generation, when all us ICE loving nuts are gone and electric cars are the norm..people will be excited for the next silent appliance, maybe loving how that new stator sounds as it turns on ceramic bearings.

Im glad we all have options. I’m stuck in the visceral feel of an engine roar and a beautiful exhaust screams up near that 7000rpms.

..and Kevin, there’s a reason why we love tubes amplifier over digital...same same, but different

The following 2 users liked this post by SF Neunelfer:
Falcondrivr (12-29-2019), verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019 | 12:39 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

This thread belongs in an EV forum, not the 991 forum. Its connection to the OP's 911 is minimal, at best.
Old 12-29-2019 | 12:39 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by garfunkle
So you think VAG has shady business ethics but endorse Tesla?

After seeing the documentary on Volkswagon's cheating and the depth of their deception, using their engineers to design systems to fool regulators only to sell Americans DIESELS as CLEAN, I would easily vote Tesla if given a choice between the two on ethics.

It's been covered in another forum. And they deserve the prison time they're getting.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...swagen-n749406
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ine/698256002/
https://www.ft.com/content/ea192e4c-...1-584213ee7b2b

https://www.thelocal.de/20171222/vw-...s-us-jail-cell
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu.../#4bbf729a4e90
Old 12-29-2019 | 12:40 PM
SConn
Drifting

Ha! Not to open a can of worms but electric cars are so much WORSE for the environment... the mining of material and manufacturing process far outweighs the damage for the environment than emissions from ICE. It's simply squeezing the balloon.
Uh oh... The worms are free.

​​​​​​There is no way around it... Everything we do today has an impact on the environment. Cars are just one factor in the undeniable problem of environmental degradation. Nobody wants to go back to horse and buggy. Nobody wants to live in teepees.

I am not opposed to EV's and I do think it's the future. However it's going to take decades to get there. People seem to forget about the more rural folks. We don't even have access to cable internet where we are! And we're not THAT far out of town.
But given the distances that we have to drive to the more major cities (even my most local Pcar dealer is 2.5 hrs away), I couldn't trust an EV to get me there. There just aren't enough charging stations for long trips where we are. I've seen the traffic stopped going though Snoqualmie Pass on our last trip to Seattle and wondered about the panic levels in the people with EV's.
The following 2 users liked this post by SConn:
GT3FZS (12-29-2019), verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019 | 12:48 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
After seeing the documentary on Volkswagon's cheating and the depth of their deception, using their engineers to design systems to fool regulators only to sell Americans DIESELS as CLEAN, I would easily vote Tesla if given a choice between the two on ethics.

It's been covered in another forum. And they deserve the prison time they're getting.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...swagen-n749406
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ine/698256002/
https://www.ft.com/content/ea192e4c-...1-584213ee7b2b

https://www.thelocal.de/20171222/vw-...s-us-jail-cell
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu.../#4bbf729a4e90
Thats like asking if republicans or democrats are more honest!
Old 12-29-2019 | 12:49 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Uh oh... The worms are free.

​​​​​​There is no way around it... Everything we do today has an impact on the environment. Cars are just one factor in the undeniable problem of environmental degradation. Nobody wants to go back to horse and buggy. Nobody wants to live in teepees.

I am not opposed to EV's and I do think it's the future. However it's going to take decades to get there. People seem to forget about the more rural folks. We don't even have access to cable internet where we are! And we're not THAT far out of town.
But given the distances that we have to drive to the more major cities (even my most local Pcar dealer is 2.5 hrs away), I couldn't trust an EV to get me there. There just aren't enough charging stations for long trips where we are. I've seen the traffic stopped going though Snoqualmie Pass on our last trip to Seattle and wondered about the panic levels in the people with EV's.

right. exactly.

OP says it all when he says he lives in D.C. metro area.

he gets subsidies for the EV, so true cost is unknown and OP gets all those warm and fuzzys from everyone around him for driving an EV.

the EV is an appropriate tool for a slow, shortish city commute.

as far as ICE vs jet metaphor, most general aviation is still ICE.... 6 cylinder horizontally opposed, air-cooled ICE, in fact.
The following 3 users liked this post by jfischet:
Falcondrivr (12-29-2019), GT3FZS (12-29-2019), verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019 | 01:21 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Nope... not to mention the amount of unregulated emissions coming from the ocean freight ships transporting the materials and products to different continents....
you're using language, "so much worse". Like gas vehicles don't require resources to construct and transport?
you believe battery technology and volume undoes zero emissions from the vehicle? A vehicle that can be charged with the sun, and does not need to come from the grid exclusively? It's about 5 dollars of electricity to charge fully as opposed to 80 dollars in fuel. You think the manufacturing process undoes that?
Old 12-29-2019 | 01:26 PM
DvD5
Advanced

Nope... not to mention the amount of unregulated emissions coming from the ocean freight ships transporting the materials and products to different continents....
This video from Engineering Explained on youtube:
, debunks this myth and cites evidence for it...
Old 12-29-2019 | 01:27 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ceepe
you're using language, "so much worse". Like gas vehicles don't require resources to construct and transport?
you believe battery technology and volume undoes zero emissions from the vehicle? A vehicle that can be charged with the sun, and does not need to come from the grid exclusively? It's about 5 dollars of electricity to charge fully as opposed to 80 dollars in fuel. You think the manufacturing process undoes that?
I do wonder how much the cost of electricity will rise as EV usage becomes more common... Gas prices used to be much lower as well, if you remember.
Old 12-29-2019 | 02:16 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I'm not here to bash EVs but it is the future that I'm not looking forward to. Teslas and other forms of EVs are more than a dime of dozen in my neck of the woods. It appears to be more of a fad than trying to be good tree huggers. I wonder what they'll do with those big batteries when they become obsolete?
verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019 | 02:35 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

when electric cars can do this for roughtly 20 minutes
refill in 15 minutes and go again
5 20 minute sessions or more a day

never break...

and im aware it is coming

The following 2 users liked this post by snake eyes:
hbear (12-29-2019), verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019 | 03:05 PM
chekraze
Racer

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I have looked at the model S with the dual motors but im not sure about longevity and a low milage used example still approached 50k. If you buy a pre 2017 you get lifetime free charging. I am currently spending around 5500 a year on petrol for my commute. My work also offers free charging.

It seems from what I am reading batteries and motors are getting replaced in the 150 to 200k mileage range.

I would look at a model 3 but they have followed the current interior design trend all cars seem to follow today which looks like an 8 year old duct taped an ipad to the top of the dash board. The genisis 70 sport with MT would be a brilliant car minus this huge flaw.

So im down to choosiing between a 2018 golf R, 2017 wrx sti or a 2014/15 S4. I really wish electric was here at the right price range but sadly, even with 5500 in yearly gas subsidy it is not. I also have a 5KW solar array on my house so the fuel cost would be truly zero. If you have the money to help the environment for the environments sake, charge on.
please do an extended test drive. I sold my B8.5 S5 mainly due to the poor electric steering system. There are aftermarket “fixes” but still. The B8 has hydraulic steering. But that may not even be an issue for you.

from your description a model 3 sounds perfect for you if you can make the numbers work.
Old 12-29-2019 | 03:23 PM
scr1244
Rennlist Member

Default Guess who will lose

EV cars are most likely the next big thing but at what price? All the current models are so so expensive. How much sense has it been to give huge tax credits to wealthy EV buyers? So the lefties that are pushing so hard for more super expensive EV cars will probably win out. Then they’ll push for more taxes and prohibitive fees on gas. The result of that will penalize the poor and the middle class who class who can’t afford the EV’s. Until they become affordable only the well heeled can be players. Not fair!
verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019 | 03:28 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Originally Posted by slingshot60
They are indeed great fun... right up until you run out of battery on a long road trip. Then having sit and twiddle your thumbs while it charges kind of take the fun out of it.
Coast to coast in just over 45 hours isn't too shabby:

Quick Reply: My 911S compared to my new Audi E-Tron