Sponsored by:

My 911S compared to my new Audi E-Tron

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Catharpin
Currently driving a Tesla X and while I really like it, charging sucks. I have been trying to keep it charged as much as possible in case I have to go somewhere. It gave me a warning message yesterday saying that to get the best battery longevity I should only charge it the amount I need for the day. Great, so what if I need an extra 100 miles, you know like a 50 mile trip to pick something up? Sure I can find a supercharger and sit for 1/2 hour but it might not be so simple and could be pretty inconvenient.
The early jet fighters while high performing were limited in range and quite finicky to run/maintain.

To keep the batteries going as long as possible they suggest 80% of max for daily charging. It isn't for everybody, but my wife commutes two days a week and it's been plenty. If we need a long trip....which is rare...we take a different car. Driving an X is a revelation when it comes to ease and lack of driving fatigue. And in a straight line it's faster than my GTS 0-60 by a long shot. In fact faster than a GT3. 3.17 seconds 0-60 for the Tesla. 0-100 7.98 seconds. Ours is a P90D. It ain't a sports car. I got that.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:22 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I bet my dryer sounds better and it doesn't require charging!
Teasing aside, I'm glad you like your new toy.
Does it buzz or emit any sounds whatsoever? Can you upload any sounds you want? This is a serous question.
I would consider an electric car when charging stations become ubiquitous and the cycle as quick as topping off with gas.
That said I'll always have an ICE sports car on the garage, naturally-aspirated one, of course...
Skip to 2:23 on this video to hear what the E Tron Sounds like at low speeds. Audi does this to alert pedestrians, it tapers off at 30 mph and is super-quiet. I've had my 991 for almost 6 years now, have only take one trip in it beyond 200 miles, so range is not my personal issue, I recharge every three days in the garage on average. What I do love though is when I pull up to Wegmans supermarkets or places like Tysons Mall where I live, there are free stage 2 chargers right up from by the Handicapped spots. I get a front parking spot, and about $ 8 worth of free electricity (if I shop for about 2 hours). This was taken Dec 23rd as I did my last minute Christmas Shopping at Tysons II Galleria Mall, Every spot was taken in the parking deck, the place was jammed. I got up front and free electrons, too!

Old 12-28-2019, 04:25 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

I think for commuting that these cars have a place but I can't see having one in my fleet until the ranges get to like 600 miles reliably. I have a few toys and limit my sailer driver to one all around that needs to do everything. As an appliance - I could see getting one for a wife; if I had one but for now I shop for my cars in the men's section.
The following users liked this post:
verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 04:44 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I think for commuting that these cars have a place but I can't see having one in my fleet until the ranges get to like 600 miles reliably. I have a few toys and limit my sailer driver to one all around that needs to do everything. As an appliance - I could see getting one for a wife; if I had one but for now I shop for my cars in the men's section.
Agreed. My SQ5 goes to Tahoe and around town; I don’t commute.

While I have and do road trip my 991, the Audi is my long-distance car, hence I need the range without worrying about a charge.

I love Audi. The 14 SQ5 has been flawless. Certainly nothing against the marque
verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 04:52 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
That's amazing! Your 991 goes 500 + miles on a tank of gas. I wonder what's wrong with mine? It only goes around 325 miles before I have to stop and fill up.

Manhattan Grey - good guess!
Dr, I had my name down for one... but bailed due to “limited product options” (my selection in the why-did-you-cancel survey). I’m all in for an EV next time around, but keep reading about issues with charger connectors, faulty touchscreens, limited range in cold conditions, and (in Europe) glitchy rear view camera wings. I only need to get 75 miles one way to the airport/see the kids... but round trip in cold gives me a little anxiety. At this point, I am anxiously awaiting the ability to order the e-tron Sportback. Hopefully Daytona Gray with Black Optics, and something other than wood grain trim on the inside. I’ve been really disappointed with Audi USA’s product decisions recently, and since I am without a family hauler/snow vehicle (aka SUV) I am vacillating between the Q8, SQ5 and waiting for the e-tron SB. I really want the SQ8 to get here already... But I can’t bear to go back to an SUV with 20-21 mpg on the HWY.

If the e-tron S was here already, with good product options, I’d have already made my move.

The 991.2 is for sunny days.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:00 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Agreed. My SQ5 goes to Tahoe and around town; I don’t commute.

While I have and do road trip my 991, the Audi is my long-distance car, hence I need the range without worrying about a charge.

I love Audi. The 14 SQ5 has been flawless. Certainly nothing against the marque
My wife drives an 2014 Audi SQ5 as well, which has been an excellent vehicle (we have 65K problem free miles on it now). She got in the E-Tron and took it shopping the other day, her first time in it alone. She comes back and says to me (I'm not making this up) "My Audi is a bucket of bolts next to this, can we get another E-tron?". I told her to wait for the Audi Q4 which should be out in 12 to 18 months, basically a full-electric Q5 series.

Upcoming Q4 should look similar to their Geneva Car Show vehicle

BlackOptic (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 06:35 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I test drove an E-Tron and have a Tesla Model 3 LR. No doubt the interior on the Audi is much nicer compared to all Teslas but Audi needs to rethink their acceleration mapping on the E-Tron. I had a friend with me who owns a Viper and a Corvette track car. We both drove the E-Tron and he drove my Tesla after driving the Audi. The Audi felt quite sluggish and isn't effectively using the torque of the motor to take advantage of what's available. Audi seems to be targeting a car more similar to an ICE and I get that. But why not take advantage of the instantaneous torque available from an EV? Anyway enjoy your new Audi.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:45 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Talk to me when range is 500+ miles. Otherwise, there simply is no conversation to be had, imho
Range anxiety is overblown, especially living in the Bay Area. The stop at a charger for the occasional trip where it's needed is completely trumped by never leaving your house without a "full tank of gas".
AlexCeres (12-29-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 06:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,532 Posts

At least if you buy a Tesla you have a great network of superchargers.... Not so much with VAG, despite the $2B they were forced to spend on Electrify America as part of the diesel-gate settlement.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:51 PM
JonRoskill
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 991 TT S and the way I drive it I would be lucky to get 200 miles on a tank of gas. I love the vehicle. I also fully expect to turn over the family fleet to EV over the next 5 years and thought that transition would start in 2019. I drove the Jag (talk about odd noises), Tesla (every other vehicle in Seattle-area is now one....the 4 wheel drive 3 is the one I would favor), and I even tracked down a Kia Niro EV that was very hard to find. I was on the list for a new etron as I have owned many Audis over the years too (own a 2013 A6 too) and when it came in the dealer let me have it for a day. It was very nice, a bit sterile (as mentioned earlier), the low speed sound is a tad annoying. But at the end of the day what did it for me was the price.....$78,000, and when I look at what I can get for much less, for what is going to be a utility vehicle, I can't yet justify it. Same with the others....the Kia Niro was $47,000!!! you can buy a fully loaded hybrid Kia Niro hybrid for $28,000.....economics don't make sense and I elected to wait one more generation of cars when hopefully the EV equivs get closer to reality on pricing
Old 12-28-2019, 07:01 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I test drove an E-Tron and have a Tesla Model 3 LR. No doubt the interior on the Audi is much nicer compared to all Teslas but Audi needs to rethink their acceleration mapping on the E-Tron. I had a friend with me who owns a Viper and a Corvette track car. We both drove the E-Tron and he drove my Tesla after driving the Audi. The Audi felt quite sluggish and isn't effectively using the torque of the motor to take advantage of what's available. Audi seems to be targeting a car more similar to an ICE and I get that. But why not take advantage of the instantaneous torque available from an EV? Anyway enjoy your new Audi.
because then the range would suffer even more.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:04 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 300 Posts

Despite my moaning about charging I do like the free supercharging. I don't bother to plug in at home.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:25 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
So far for the ev world it is model 3 and the rest.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:17 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Catharpin
Despite my moaning about charging I do like the free supercharging. I don't bother to plug in at home.
Doesn't that defeat the electric car advantage of not having to go to a "filling station?"
verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 02:25 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 595 Posts

I don't think sh*tty comments about "no soul" and all that are called for unless you have more experience with one. The range thing IS overblown for many people including me. VAG will own the market I'm guessing...for good or bad because I'm not a fan of their business ethics, and I am a big fan of Tesla. But facts are they have the money. And the technology. Their new charging system will rip. Whether or not it's good for the battery is another question.

Quick Reply: My 911S compared to my new Audi E-Tron