Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 911T saying oil change 8 months early

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019 | 05:33 AM
k_h_d
Instructor

Default 2019 911T saying oil change 8 months early

I bought a 2019 911T a little less than 4 months ago. Car had less than 40 miles on the odometer and spent its time inside on showroom floor. The computer was never reset at purchase. I guess it was set at initial dealer inspection when they took delivery of their allotment but not when I purchased it.

i have 3050 miles on car. It now says oil service do. Should I just take it to the local dealer and ask to have the indicator reset to the proper time? Can they even do that? Or just ignore the indicator and do it a year from when I bought and started driving it?

The car obviously sat for 8 months on show room floor. I would prefer to get the first free oil change at 1 year.

The dealer I purchased from is 3.5 hours away. Wish I would have thought about it then and maybe asked for fresh oil, however I think oil sitting in an unused brand new car is not much different than oil sitting in a bottle.
Old 12-28-2019 | 05:44 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I have not tried it yet, but apparently there is a reset tool available on amazon for $150. I plan to get one before my second service as I am leaning toward DIYing that one. That being said, I am also super OCD so 5k is about max I would leave oil in a car and did an early oil change so it would not bother me to get the oil changed at 3k.
Old 12-28-2019 | 07:05 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Oil changes on these cars is an easy diy and you can reset the warning with the icarsoft por-ii

if it were me, I’d change it on my own vs a 3.5 hour drive. I personally maintain all my cars, so happy to help with any questions if you go that route.
The following users liked this post:
JAM2 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019 | 07:49 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

I'd be more concerned about when your warrantee was punched. My guess is that it was 8 months ago, so you are at risk of running out of warrantee that much earlier. Unfortunately this is a common form of dealer trickery to boost their sales figures for a given month.
Old 12-28-2019 | 09:10 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Change that oil in some fashion, dealer or not. If you go too early for the 1st free service they should honor it on the 2nd one, or closer to 10K. I always dump the factory oil at 1-2k miles, especially when the car sits on the dealer lot, as mine did as well. I'd change it now if it was me, even at an Indy or DIY if you don't want to drive so far. No dealership is closer than 3.5 hours? Mobil 1 for the first full 10K makes me cringe.
Old 12-28-2019 | 03:25 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
I'd be more concerned about when your warrantee was punched. My guess is that it was 8 months ago, so you are at risk of running out of warrantee that much earlier. Unfortunately this is a common form of dealer trickery to boost their sales figures for a given month.
I’ll check but I asked the sales rep about it and he said know. If the warranty started early it would say so on the sales invoice and there is no mention of that.
Old 12-28-2019 | 03:41 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k_h_d
I’ll check but I asked the sales rep about it and he said know. If the warranty started early it would say so on the sales invoice and there is no mention of that.
There was no mention of it for me either at time of sale or on any paperwork. I bought a car that was on the lot and I learned a few months later that the warranty had been punched long before I bought the car. I was setting up the Porsche Connect services at https://connect-portal.porsche.com/core/us/en_US/home after the 3 month free trial period expired and saw an unexpected warranty end date displayed when I registered the car. I complained and was able to get an extended warranty from the dealership as a good faith gesture - they said there was no way to change the date on the factory warranty. This seems to be a very common practice. I simply fail to understand how PCNA continues to allow it.
Old 12-28-2019 | 03:47 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Yes, it is really scumbag behavior on the part of dealers. The SEC is opening an investigation about this practice against BMW, but their focus is about falsified monthly sales numbers, not consumer protection.
The following users liked this post:
K C (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019 | 05:58 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Yes, it is really scumbag behavior on the part of dealers. The SEC is opening an investigation about this practice against BMW, but their focus is about falsified monthly sales numbers, not consumer protection.
Not to thread high jack.... but I immediately thought of my local P dealer when I heard the story on BMW.
Old 12-28-2019 | 07:26 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Having your car serviced at your local dealer or the one 3.5 hours away where you bought it doesn’t matter much except for maybe a free loaner. A new car sitting for months doesn’t contaminate the oil so follow the manual for the mileage/time oil change recommendations starting at your purchase. Replacing the original Mobil 1 fill is only for your peace of mind, not the the engine.
Old 12-28-2019 | 08:00 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I bought a 2019 911T a little less than 4 months ago. Car had less than 40 miles on the odometer and spent its time inside on showroom floor. The computer was never reset at purchase. I guess it was set at initial dealer inspection when they took delivery of their allotment but not when I purchased it.

i have 3050 miles on car. It now says oil service do. Should I just take it to the local dealer and ask to have the indicator reset to the proper time? Can they even do that? Or just ignore the indicator and do it a year from when I bought and started driving it?

The car obviously sat for 8 months on show room floor. I would prefer to get the first free oil change at 1 year.

The dealer I purchased from is 3.5 hours away. Wish I would have thought about it then and maybe asked for fresh oil, however I think oil sitting in an unused brand new car is not much different than oil sitting in a bottle.
Have you changed the oil at all? Many would have done so between 1 and 2K. If you haven’t, drive quickly to the dealer and get that foul crap out. Holy crap.... 3000 miles on the original oil. Holy crap...

Now back to reality. Get it changed since it says so. No biggie.
Old 12-28-2019 | 08:01 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Call PCNA with your VIN and they can tell you when your warranty was started. Purchase documents typically do not include this information.
Old 12-28-2019 | 08:11 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Having your car serviced at your local dealer or the one 3.5 hours away where you bought it doesn’t matter much except for maybe a free loaner. A new car sitting for months doesn’t contaminate the oil so follow the manual for the mileage/time oil change recommendations starting at your purchase. Replacing the original Mobil 1 fill is only for your peace of mind, not the the engine.
I would tend to agree with you. My office is near 2 dealerships and they store cars on a reserve lot behind my office. Cars sometimes are moved to block an entrance. This means cold started and moved 40 feet. Shut down within 20 seconds of starting. Obviously, not all cars are the entrance blockers but some are. Draining oil early just makes sense. If you are too cheap to pay, then do it yourself and be done in an hour. It’s cheap insurance.
Old 12-28-2019 | 08:14 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Check your service records if you have any. The inservice date is on them. I would be pissed if my warranty started 8 months earlier than my date of sale. Maybe they cover themselves somehow by putting that in the papers you signed. Let us know how this turns out.
Old 12-28-2019 | 10:06 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Oil should be changed at least once a year. What is your car’s birth date? Some 2019 cars might have actually been built in 2018? I would change the oil - there’s a reason it’s telling you to do so.

Quick Reply: 2019 911T saying oil change 8 months early