Brake Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenhak
I understand that. But that was 6 months back
Also, if I change the pads before the warning triggers on the panel, sensors can be reused, right?
Yes. A lot of people do not even use the sensor wires - just tie them out of the way.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:18 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSFR
Yes sensors can be reused if not triggered by warn out pads. Warn out pads are less than 2mm thickness. Some pads have ware bars (like tires) that will tell you how much usable pad is left

991 S (both C2S and C4S)

Front

new: 34 mm

minimum (after machining): 32.6 mm

wear limit: 32.0 mm

Rear

new: 28 mm

minimum (after machining): 26.6 mm

wear limit: 26.0 mm
I measured the rotor lip. It is about 1mm to 0.6mm. Also there are rotor wear indicator holes. They are 0.5mm deep. Not sure how much would be left If i get them resurfaced.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:22 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Yes. A lot of people do not even use the sensor wires - just tie them out of the way.
What do you mean by "not using them" ?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:25 PM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

lip measurement is not important. measure the center of the rotor in multiple spots. Micrometer (C shape) calpiers work the best but Vernier calipers work if you can fit the lip in the gap.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:31 PM
rubenhak
Racer

lip measurement is not important. measure the center of the rotor in multiple spots
Well, if I take off the lip, the rotors are already worn out beyond the minimum spec.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:10 AM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

On my 2014 991S both front and rear OEM rotors have wear spec holes. These will look like cross-drill holes but are not drilled all the way through. If you can still see these then your rotor are still in spec. If you cant see these holes then you need new rotors. I would assume that all Porsche 991 OEM rotors have these wear spec holes. again these marks look like cross-drill holes but are shallow and not drilled all the way through the rotor. Go look at your rotors and report back. Im curious if you till can see them
Old 12-24-2019, 12:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenhak
What do you mean by "not using them" ?
You do not have to use the sensors - some simply tie the wire back and use visual inspection to determine if the pads need replacement. That way you do not have to buy new ones each time they trigger the notification.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:15 AM
rubenhak
Racer

On my 2014 991S both front and rear OEM rotors have ware spec holes. These will look like crossdrill holes but are not drilled all the way through. If you can still see these then your rotor are still in spec. If you cant see these holes then you need new rotors. I would assume that all Prosche 991 OEM rotors have these ware spec holes. again these marks look like crossdrill holes but are shallow and not drilled all the way through the rotor.
That's what i mentioned in previous post. They measure around 0.5mm deep. If i get rotors resurfaced, it would literally get to the wear limit.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:18 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You do not have to use the sensors - some simply tie the wire back and use visual inspection to determine if the pads need replacement. That way you do not have to buy new ones each time they trigger the notification.
Well, some ppl also remove check engine light LED to not to see the light on
I'd rather rely on sensors to tell when things are worn out.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:26 AM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

Well it sounds like you should run what you have until the car tells you to change the pads and then do some new rotors at the same time. and maybe some new tires and some spacers and.......
Old 12-24-2019, 01:37 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Well it sounds like you should run what you have until the car tells you to change the pads and then do some new rotors at the same time. and maybe some new tires and some spacers and.......
Indeed, that sounds most economical solution.

With current rotors and pads anything can be done to reduce the squeak? few hard braking? any liquid solution to apply?
Old 12-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Your measurement of those wear holes on the rotor doesnt sound the most accurate. I would get a mic and measure the rotors the right way, in a few spots. Take that number and remove the value the lathe operator told you he needs to machine off and see if you are within minimum thickness. If you are I would do that and put in some pads of your choice and run it for the next 20k miles before swapping rotors and pads again.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:38 AM
CaliCarrera
Intermediate

Default Brake Squeal Explained

brake squeal explained

Old 12-25-2019, 03:28 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by CaliCarrera
brake squeal explained

https://youtu.be/fUNHb9O52WQ
I know, there are actually two more videos about the squeal by Porsche. But for some reason I don't buy it
For two and a half years they were totally silent. Then suddenly started to squeal.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:29 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by 911.
Your measurement of those wear holes on the rotor doesnt sound the most accurate. I would get a mic and measure the rotors the right way, in a few spots. Take that number and remove the value the lathe operator told you he needs to machine off and see if you are within minimum thickness. If you are I would do that and put in some pads of your choice and run it for the next 20k miles before swapping rotors and pads again.
I measured wear hole depth with micrometer. Will check with a brake shop how much they shave off.

Quick Reply: Brake Service