Sponsored by:

PSE vs Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default PSE vs Aftermarket

I'm finalizing my search for a 2019 Targa 4, 4S, GTS. I came across a perfect build, however of course it does not have PSE!!

How could you dare be driving down the road with your top down without the smooth sound of PSE - snap, crackle, & pop? Greta would scream!!

Adding a PSE from the dealership is $7K OTD. I could do an aftermarket partial system, Fabspeed, Soul, or Akrapovic of different variations. I called several Porsche service advisers today inquiring about any warranty or extended warranty issues, I got mixed messages, however not too worried.

I guess my questions are, are the aftermarket sounds better than PSE? Should I wait to break it in before swapping out the exhaust? Will this hurt the resale down the road (i plan on keeping this as my last P-car, but that's what we all say).?

Old 12-19-2019, 07:12 PM
mhartman
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dkk16
I'm finalizing my search for a 2019 Targa 4, 4S, GTS. I came across a perfect build, however of course it does not have PSE!!

How could you dare be driving down the road with your top down without the smooth sound of PSE - snap, crackle, & pop? Greta would scream!!

Adding a PSE from the dealership is $7K OTD. I could do an aftermarket partial system, Fabspeed, Soul, or Akrapovic of different variations. I called several Porsche service advisers today inquiring about any warranty or extended warranty issues, I got mixed messages, however not too worried.

I guess my questions are, are the aftermarket sounds better than PSE? Should I wait to break it in before swapping out the exhaust? Will this hurt the resale down the road (i plan on keeping this as my last P-car, but that's what we all say).?
I think the non-PSE looks better on the car. I think non-PSE with an aftermarket exhaust (if you feel the need) would get you where you want to go.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:27 PM
BGW391
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of sound are you looking for?

My 991.1 C2S has PSE. It does make it louder and it’s nice that I can make it quiet/loud as I please. At the end of the day it’s still a stock exhaust and just wasn’t enough for me. So I went and got an FI exhaust, which is amazing!!!
Old 12-19-2019, 07:40 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

From reading stuff on this subject, it seems to indicate that current OEM exhaust systems are good at balancing power/sound. Aftermarket stuff can add more sound and maybe save a few pounds but not so much difference in the power.

There's a thread here on the forum regarding the installation of just an aftermarket exhaust system and the car was noticeably less responsive at low RPMs after the change, which the vehicle's owner could feel.

An ICE is an air pump and if you mess with the balance (free up the outflow but do nothing with the inflow), you may not like the results. And from what you've found, it's not cheap.

I have the PSE on mine as part of the Sport Package and I'm very happy with it. Personally, I would look for a model with that option from factory. The negative part of searching for "your" car in the wild is that you may have to compromise on options, that led me to order just exactly what I wanted.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 PM
mrpat3l
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

go with soul sport cats and x-pipes, you'll love the sound! I had the same issue as you, my car did not have PSE, I went aftermarket and the car sounds amazing.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:44 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Originally Posted by BGW391

My 991.1 C2S has PSE. It does make it louder and it’s nice that I can make it quiet/loud as I please. At the end of the day it’s still a stock exhaust and just wasn’t enough for me. So I went and got an FI exhaust, which is amazing!!!
Nothing Crazy. I have the PSE on my 18 C2. It's a way cooler sound when it's activated than when it's off.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:51 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Originally Posted by BSO
From reading stuff on this subject, it seems to indicate that current OEM exhaust systems are good at balancing power/sound. Aftermarket stuff can add more sound and maybe save a few pounds but not so much difference in the power.

There's a thread here on the forum regarding the installation of just an aftermarket exhaust system and the car was noticeably less responsive at low RPMs after the change, which the vehicle's owner could feel.

An ICE is an air pump and if you mess with the balance (free up the outflow but do nothing with the inflow), you may not like the results. And from what you've found, it's not cheap.

I have the PSE on mine as part of the Sport Package and I'm very happy with it. Personally, I would look for a model with that option from factory. The negative part of searching for "your" car in the wild is that you may have to compromise on options, that led me to order just exactly what I wanted.

Good luck.
That's a good point. Porsche's OEM product's have been thoroughly tested and they maximize the balance, although subjective, between performance, decibels, durability, and efficiency.

I'm jammed up because of course they are not making anymore 991.2 Targas and they are getting scarce, although about a dozen or so have or will be released in weeks to come. I am at the mercy of what's out there.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:21 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

991.2 PSE was not very noticeable to my ears when I drove them. $7,000 quote is just too high to swallow. There is some good aftermarket exhaust available and actually it could be the plus when you sell your car. Also some people prefer non PSE tip location. Good luck with your hunting.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:58 PM
slam
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're looking for audibles, go aftermarket. No matter what's advertised, the performance gain is negligible. What they are optimized for are the sound.

Soul, Fab Speed OTD is probably going to be shy under 4k while Akra will be a significant step up in price.

I feel like 7k OTD quote for OEM is a quite high. Have you shopped around?

Old 12-20-2019, 12:51 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

I put a Tubi on my 991 several years ago, still is pretty close to perfect. Lighter, great tone with no drone or not too loud when you want to cruise. Install was not difficult. The thread here.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...91s-today.html
Old 12-20-2019, 01:03 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ddolbi
991.2 PSE was not very noticeable to my ears when I drove them. $7,000 quote is just too high to swallow. There is some good aftermarket exhaust available and actually it could be the plus when you sell your car. Also some people prefer non PSE tip location. Good luck with your hunting.
My T (991.2) came with the PSE but I changed out to Sharkwerks. Occasionally I do miss the PSE being slightly quieter on the freeway but the overall sound of the SW is just so much better so I would prefer to keep the SW.
The following users liked this post:
S S (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 02:03 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

$7K for a dealer-installed PSE is outrageously high. The dealer where I bought my used 991.1 (in Manhattan) quoted me approximately $5K to install.

Instead, I went the route of purchasing all the parts from Sonnen Porsche. They helped me select all the appropriate parts, sans unneeded "PSE" exhaust tips, and put it all together into one order, shipped in a single large box. I then brought that big box to my local NJ dealer who installed it for me. Total price was just shy of $3000.

Do NOT shell out $7000 for PSE. Don't feed the beast!
Old 12-20-2019, 03:49 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

PSE on a .2 is not a benefit in my view. YMMV
Old 12-20-2019, 05:51 AM
Fi Frenk
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BGW391

That's great to hear that you enjoy our valvetronic function. Where did you have Fi EXHAUST installed?
Old 12-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkk16

The PSE fake overrun in sport mode is so ungodly bad. A non PSE with an aftermarket might be the ideal. I believe that would eliminate the programmed exactly the same pop pop pop no matter the throttle intensity. Luckily on the sport chrono cars you can now turn that off in individual mode. Backfire is nice but fake backfire is not nice.

Quick Reply: PSE vs Aftermarket