Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackvue Dash Cam Users - How do you record people encounters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Blackvue Dash Cam Users - How do you record people encounters?

I have a Blackvue 900 2 channel camera

If I got into an accident, it may be helpful to have video and recording of the followup conversation.

HOwever, people typically turn off their cars after an accident and as I understand it, the camera will enter parking mode in 5 minutes and wont keep recording to the SD card even though its still on.

You can manually trigger it to record, but for only one minute.

Is there a way to have it keep recording to the SD card by expanding that 1 minute recording time lets say 30 minutes?

I know you are allowed to record with getting consent if you are on public property (e.g. side of a road), but I am also wondering if it is illegal to keep your dashcam recording without telling anyone?

Do police ever tell you to turn off your dashcam if you are being pulled over?

Old 12-15-2019, 07:02 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Diamond Dog
HOwever, people typically turn off their cars after an accident and as I understand it, the camera will enter parking mode in 5 minutes and wont keep recording to the SD card even though its still on.
Park Mode on BlackVue will continue to keep recording, it is just categorized as a different recording type (naming convention, same file format).

The only time a BlackVue will stop recording is when it loses power, period. Under all other conditions, it is a continuously seamless 24x7 recording system.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by NCheok
Park Mode on BlackVue will continue to keep recording, it is just categorized as a different recording type (naming convention, same file format).

The only time a BlackVue will stop recording is when it loses power, period. Under all other conditions, it is a continuously seamless 24x7 recording system.
I was under the impression (per the manual) than in parking mode the camera is recording, but not saving to the SD card unless there is an event (eg impact) and only for a minute at a time. Otherwise it would be erasing allmthe driving footage pretty quickly. (A 128 SD card willmrecord for 7 hours and if you parked overnight all your driving footage wouldmbe gone in 7 hours by being over written if what your saying is' true)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

I was under the impression (per the manual) than in parking mode the camera is recording, but not saving to the SD card unless there is an event (eg impact) and only for a minute at a time. Otherwise it would be erasing allmthe driving footage pretty quickly. (A 128 SD card willmrecord for 7 hours and if you parked overnight all your driving footage wouldmbe gone in 7 hours by being over written if what your saying is' true)
It is true, and it will start to overwrite after 7 hours in 4K mode. Another option would be to swap out the SD card if there is something on there that you want to keep, or unplug the BlackVue when secure in your garage (this is what I do, no sense in recording my boring garage door, plus my charger doesn’t like it when an accessory is plugged in), or changing it to 1080 vs 4K, which will give you more time on your SD card.

EDIT: One more option is to download the footage you want onto your phone before parking it - this is what I do for Autocross videos.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hurricane
It is true, and it will start to overwrite after 7 hours in 4K mode. Another option would be to swap out the SD card if there is something on there that you want to keep, or unplug the BlackVue when secure in your garage (this is what I do, no sense in recording my boring garage door, plus my charger doesn’t like it when an accessory is plugged in), or changing it to 1080 vs 4K, which will give you more time on your SD card.

EDIT: One more option is to download the footage you want onto your phone before parking it - this is what I do for Autocross videos.
I don't think this is correct

Although the camera is continually recording in parking mode, it is not continually saving to the SD card. Only if there is an event such as an impact. I have a 13 hour auxillary battery that will allow the camera to stay on in park mode. It's been on for 13 hours and my SD card is 128gb (7 hours capacity) and all of my driving from yesterday is still on the card as there have been no incidents or events in my garage.

Therefore the Camera may be recording (waiting for an event to record) it is not overwriting footage in parking mode CONTINUALLY on the card which is the reason im asking the questions in the original post and wondering if you can record for longer when the camera switched to parking mode 5 minutes after you shut down the car (after and accident as you talk to the other party, or during a traffic stop)

Try it. Got let your car go into parking mode and talk next to it. Then try and pull if the continual footage that is many minutes long. It wondering be there unless you continually impact or motion as you are talking.

From Blackvue:
"In Parking Mode, you BlackVue just monitors your vehicle’s surroundings without writing on the microSD card. Then someone bumps into your car while it’s parked. BlackVue will record it, including the few seconds leading to the impact, thanks to its buffered recording function."
Old 12-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Legality will vary by state. To record a conversation in Florida requires all parties to be notified and consent. I believe that is the case in most states. Also remember that if the video shows something that goes against you, deleting the video is illegal, and will fall under the “spoliation of evidence” rule.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:13 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't think this is correct

Although the camera is continually recording in parking mode, it is not continually saving to the SD card. Only if there is an event such as an impact. I have a 13 hour auxillary battery that will allow the camera to stay on in park mode. It's been on for 13 hours and my SD card is 128gb (7 hours capacity) and all of my driving from yesterday is still on the card as there have been no incidents or events in my garage.

Therefore the Camera may be recording (waiting for an event to record) it is not overwriting footage in parking mode CONTINUALLY on the card which is the reason im asking the questions in the original post and wondering if you can record for longer when the camera switched to parking mode 5 minutes after you shut down the car (after and accident as you talk to the other party, or during a traffic stop)

Try it. Got let your car go into parking mode and talk next to it. Then try and pull if the continual footage that is many minutes long. It wondering be there unless you continually impact or motion as you are talking.

From Blackvue:
"In Parking Mode, you BlackVue just monitors your vehicle’s surroundings without writing on the microSD card. Then someone bumps into your car while it’s parked. BlackVue will record it, including the few seconds leading to the impact, thanks to its buffered recording function."
There are firmware updates since I bought mine that added two parking modes, region-based motion detection and time lapse, that reduce the amount of data to the card. Good catch - I didn’t realize it had changed.

[BlackVue DR900S/DR750S] New Time Lapse, Region-Based Motion Detection Parking Modes

Posted on August 13, 2018 by BlackVueWith the latest firmware and software releases, the BlackVue DR900S Series and DR750S Series receive two major Parking Mode upgrades:
  • Brand new Time Lapse mode (with buffered Events) > Select “Time lapse”.
  • Improved Motion & Impact Detection mode (with region-based motion detection) > Select “Motion & Impact detection”.
Access Parking Mode settings under Firmware settings > Basic > Recording > Parking mode recording.

Compatibility (as of August 13, 2018)

Dashcam Models:

• DR900S Series (DR900S-1CH, DR900S-2CH) with firmware 1.004 and up.
  • DR750S Series (DR750S-1CH, DR750S-2CH, DR750S-2CH IR, DR750S-2CH TRUCK) with firmware 1.010 and up.

Software version:

• BlackVue App: Android / iOS v2.76 and up.
  • BlackVue Viewer: Windows v1.22 / Mac v1.23 and up.
  • BlackVue Viewer Pro: Windows v1.12.

New Time Lapse with Buffered Events

30 times longer recording time on your microSD card

Time Lapse Parking Mode allows your dashcam to continuously record at 1FPS (one frame per second). Videos are played back at 30FPS.
Each one-minute video recorded covers a 30-minute period.

No more worrying over files getting overwritten in Parking Mode.
Put simply, each hour of Time Lapse video covers a real-time period of 30 hours.
In other words, a DR900S-2CH with a 16GB microSD card–55 minutes recording front and rear in Extreme mode–could run for over 27 hours in Time Lapse Parking Mode before starting to loop.
Pretty cool, right?

Time Lapse files are categorized as Parking Mode (marked “P” in the file list).

Buffered Event videos in case of impact detected

Now, there are still going to be situations where you want to have an actual video, because 1FPS might not be sufficient.

That is why BlackVue’s Time Lapse mode also includes buffered Event recording.
It means in case of a hit-and-run, your BlackVue switches to regular Event recording, including the 5-6 seconds before the impact.

Quick Reply: Blackvue Dash Cam Users - How do you record people encounters?