Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reattaching front spoiler lip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019 | 08:02 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Default Reattaching front spoiler lip?

Can anyone help? I've slightly kerbed my spoiler lip below front bumper, no apparent damage, but it's popped some kind of plastic stud and now there's a gap. Can't for the life of me get it to pop back into place. Does anyone have any advice on how these things clip on?

Old 12-05-2019 | 11:15 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Can't get a photo but they look like actual clip hook things part of the lip spoler itself. So should just push the whole lip back (or forward) and hook up again (the same way they presumably were forced off). Except they don't and I'm scared to use too much brute force and ignorance.

Last edited by Peter80; 12-06-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2019 | 12:33 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Mine did that. I had to pull it forward and upward to get it to snap into place. Took much effort to pull forward too.
Old 12-05-2019 | 12:38 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Mine did that. I had to pull it forward and upward to get it to snap into place. Took much effort to pull forward too.
Great, that's my question, thanks. I was worried about stressing it too much
Old 12-05-2019 | 06:44 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

That's the original front spoiler, which is a two - piece unit and the lower edge is metal, you probably bent the metal in the lower segment.. Sometimes they don't go back well. What does work FAR better, is to take that one off and toss it in the trash, and buy the one piece from Suncoast which looks way better and is super easy to install. And when you scrape it again, it won't do what the original one does.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991SSL.html

If you want to keep that original one, you'll have to remove it, the pound the metal flat with a hammer, then reinstall . Even then, there is usually a gap, it's like a one-time deal and hard to get back in shape again.

I have the Suncoast sport on my car after fighting the straighten out for a time. It's a better looking front lip as well.

The following users liked this post:
Peter80 (12-05-2019)
Old 12-06-2019 | 06:51 AM
Peter80
Instructor

I think mine is different on a 2017 991.2 drcollie. Looks like a one-piece plastic thing with built-in clips plastic clips go into holes under bumper.. Think Bigworm above is correct but still worried about amount of stress requied to pop them back.
Old 12-07-2019 | 11:05 PM
vitabrew
Intermediate

Mine did the same thing, only worse and a few clips came undone. There are two screws holding it on, one on either side of the rubber lip. From under the car, I removed the screws. Then the lip can be slid sideways, reposition the clips then slide back into place and replace the screws.
Old 12-08-2019 | 05:47 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Originally Posted by vitabrew
Mine did the same thing, only worse and a few clips came undone. There are two screws holding it on, one on either side of the rubber lip. From under the car, I removed the screws. Then the lip can be slid sideways, reposition the clips then slide back into place and replace the screws.
Helpful, thanks. I'm gonna have to get ir on a ramp somewhere. Just can't get decent access to see what I'm doing.
Old 12-09-2019 | 07:10 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Originally Posted by vitabrew
Yep, you are the winner. You are absolutely spot on, thanks. The clips on the lip won't fit back into the holes under the bumper unless you slide it across first about half an inch to where the holes are wider and then slide it back again. Two screws at each end of the lip to remove and then it'll slide across.

Last edited by Peter80; 12-09-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-09-2019 | 12:28 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Correction. Several screws all along from one side to the other. But they do need removing in order to slide the spoiler lip. You very definitely can't just force the clips back in their holes.

Quick Reply: Reattaching front spoiler lip?