Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Recommendations On Buying Site Unseen

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019 | 09:36 PM
Colvin84
Instructor

Default Seeking Recommendations On Buying Site Unseen

I’m considering a 2013 Cab for sale at a dealership in Ft. Lauderdale, MT with a little over 42k miles. Only options are premium package, S rims and power sport seats. Would be my first 911. Built late 2012. I wanted CPO, but the price is reasonable and I prefer the color combo and MT. I intend to drive 10k miles or so a year.

Buying out of state, is it unwise to buy site unseen? Would you only do if a Porsche dealer PPI? It has been inspected by selling dealer and Carfax is clean. Dealer sells and works on high end cars and gets good reviews. Prior 2 owners appear to have been on lease. Recommendations appreciated. I appreciate your time.

Old 12-03-2019 | 09:41 PM
Semitone
Pro

If it is a Porsche dealer I would question why it isn't CPO? Sometimes they are just trying to save ?$3k. If it's some other reason, I would want to know. I've had great luck buying CPO, sight unseen. I've also bought other brands from Porsche dealers. High end car dealers, I have more trust. Some other dealers who sell only used..., well...I am a bit more hesitant.
Old 12-03-2019 | 09:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Ask a Rennlist to at least put eyes on the car. Many great people here are always willing to help out.

Ask the selling dealership for a DME report (total op hours, ignitions in the rev ranges, and total counter start cycles). Post results here for comment.
The following users liked this post:
NJ991 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-03-2019 | 09:47 PM
Colvin84
Instructor

Originally Posted by Semitone
If it is a Porsche dealer I would question why it isn't CPO? Sometimes they are just trying to save ?$3k. If it's some other reason, I would want to know. I've had great luck buying CPO, sight unseen. I've also bought other brands from Porsche dealers. High end car dealers, I have more trust. Some other dealers who sell only used..., well...I am a bit more hesitant.
dealer is not a Porsche dealer so no CPO available. Carrio Motor Cars: https://www.carriomotorcars.com/

direct link to car:
https://www.carriomotorcars.com/inve...rio_motor_cars

Old 12-03-2019 | 09:51 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Would never buy any used car sight unseen. Even an ordered car can bite you (happened to me).

Need to ask for maintenance/repair records. Since this isn’t a Porsche dealer I would believe they may not have the dedicated equipment to really getting inside the car. Inspections are “squishy” tough to confirm.

South Florida can be daunting when dealing with used car sales, misrepresentation has been known to happen. Used to live there.

Last edited by BSO; 12-03-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2019 | 09:51 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Car fax is crap. Too many false reports. Get a PPI
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:07 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would never buy a car without seeing it. Why not buy it contingent on an i person inspection with stilpulation that you can walk away if you don’t want it. No questions asked.

i would look at someone’s potential car in the Denver area so I’m sure would help you out.
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:16 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

OP, I just bought a car from out of state, sight unseen, non CPO. I think I got away with it as it’s a good car, but I won’t do this again.

I had a PPI done and it was very helpful, but nothing like checking the car out for yourself. It was a very nerve-racking few days after I wired the money to when it was delivered!
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:29 PM
SConn
Drifting

I agree with others. It's not an inexpensive car. If you are serious and it's "the one", in the long run it could save you a ton of problems by flying over and taking a look. Can always ship it home.
A flight to see it in person is worth the peace of mind, imo. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:34 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

An alternative to a dealer PPI (can be expensive) or a casual "eyes-on" (might be better than nothing) are new inspection services like Lemon Squad. My son used them to evaluate an out-of-state used car (at a dealer) and was very satisfied.
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:58 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

I have flown to see a car I was interested in twice. Most same day tickets are relatively inexpensive depending on the day. You are going to spend $60k on a car, spend $200 on a plane ticket . Fly in, look at the car, fly home. Then get a PPI. Do not skip that last step.

I learned the hard way that other's standards for clean and minor cosmetic issues are different than mine.
Old 12-03-2019 | 11:12 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
I have flown to see a car I was interested in twice. Most same day tickets are relatively inexpensive depending on the day. You are going to spend $60k on a car, spend $200 on a plane ticket . Fly in, look at the car, fly home. Then get a PPI. Do not skip that last step.

I learned the hard way that other's standards for clean and minor cosmetic issues are different than mine.
Get on a jet. Money well spent. Even the best photos hide scratches, dings and scuffs. You can't smell a musty or smoked in car over the internet, nor can you hear the rattles and squeaks. Make a long weekend out of it in FL.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2019 | 11:35 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

I would never buy a used car site unseen.

Reviews on this dealer are mixed but some comments definitely raise Red flags. I did a quick search on this dealer and here’s some of the reviews.

When buying long distance you really don’t have much recourse that doesn’t involve travel and other BS. Long distance litigation is costly, time consuming and a waste of $.

http://www.scamion.com/carrio-motor-cars-fa

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/fort-laude...630/complaints

Buying that car site unseen and with out a truly independent 3rd party PPI would be like going on a $60,000 blind date

The following users liked this post:
lockie (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019 | 04:16 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Bought my car sight unseen but I buy the seller before the car.
Old 12-04-2019 | 07:48 AM
Colvin84
Instructor

Thanks everyone. It’s hard to keep the emotion of wanting the car out of the equation. I’ve asked for the DME and will see if they have. I’m going to reflect and either fly down, get PPI or both (or wait for a CPO).

When I talked to dealer on phone he said they had certified Porsche and Ferrari techs, etc. but not seeing any mechanical services offered by the dealer online at all. Maybe still true but a little alarming, coupled with a few of the reviews posted online.

I appreciate the advice.

Is there anyone here from Ft. Lauderdale that would be willing to swing by and take a look at the car?

Quick Reply: Seeking Recommendations On Buying Site Unseen