Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 GTS weekend & 718 DD vs. GT3 & GTI DD

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019 | 10:03 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Default 911 GTS weekend & 718 DD vs. GT3 & GTI DD

Have been thinking about it all weekend.

2018 911 GTS for weekend use & 2018 718 GTS for DD
or
2018 911 GT3 for weekend use & 2018 VW GTI for DD

????

Same $$$.
DD = 15K-20K a year, so DD the current GTS is too much.

I currently the 2018 991.2 GTS 7 speed manual that I built new in 2018, fully loaded and I love the car. I drive it on the weekends and I have about 9K miles on it after almost 2 years (3/18).
When I got it, it was my DD. After about 6 months, I decided to get a 2018 GTI to commute for work. I drive about 15K-20K a year.
I know everyone keeps saying just drive it and enjoy it, but going up and down 95 every day just gets me too nervous.

What do you fellow owners think?
It's a good problem to have, but still need to make decision by end of day tomorrow.

Old 11-24-2019 | 10:17 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Do you go to the track? If so, *maybe* go with the GT3 (I absolutely love my GTS at the track!) but for street use, the GTS is probably (?) the better choice, IMO.
Old 11-24-2019 | 10:18 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Option 3, RS and a prius
The following users liked this post:
the_buch (11-26-2019)
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:01 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

I race 1L bikes, so the car tracking is not as thrilling as I thought. It's hard to go from a 289LBS/203HP to cars tracking, at least for now. I did try it, and I'm sure as i age, I'll get more in to it. But for now, it's more street.
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:24 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

lol, I can't see myself driving a Prius every day. I have to spend 3H a day on the road, so it has to be something a fun, manual as well
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:32 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

GTS suspension likely more enjoyable on public roads and the low end torque likely too.

Obviously depends on what roads you’re using on your weekend drives, but it would be hard to really exploit any handling advantage that a 3 would have on public roads and both cars are already go to jail fast. Plus, losing the back seat if that matters to you.

What part of 95 do you commute on?
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:34 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am in similar situation - Have Golf R for daily and GT4 and Z/28 for weekend and track fun.

Looking at GTS to replace GT4 and Z/28 and maybe even all 3 and do it with one car.

GTS seems like it fits a sweet spot - one car to do all.

Only downside is I drive DD a lot - 49,000 miles in 19 months on Golf R - so GTS will get used - found 19 CPO car, so that seems to fit well.

Question is, will it lose its luster as DD?

Old 11-24-2019 | 11:38 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Jupiter - Miami - Jupiter
My dream car was a GT3, I finally got one and the wife convinced me that it wouldn't be fair to the kids. So I decided to go GTS instead.
18 months later, the kids hardly drive with me and it's a date or a a sat/sun ride.
The NA and the fact of owning a GT car, that was a dream is what is so appealing. So I saved the extra $, found a perfect GT# and was going to pull the trigger, but the wife had a great idea with the 718 DD and keeping the GTS. She says that I don't look as happy driving the GTI as I do the GTS and that is obvious
Though I got to admit, that GTI in manual is a fun car.
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:39 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supercup
I am in similar situation - Have Golf R for daily and GT4 and Z/28 for weekend and track fun.

Looking at GTS to replace GT4 and Z/28 and maybe even all 3 and do it with one car.

Only downside is I drive DD a lot - 49,000 miles in 19 months on Golf R - so GTS will get used - found 19 CPO car, so that seems to fit well.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Are you looking at a 718 GTS or a 911 GTS for that DD?
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:45 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supercup

I traded my 06 Cayman S and 08 Golf R for a 16 Macan S. In many ways the Macan is the perfect blend of those two cars.

That said, I drive my GTS as much as possible and find it more comfortable for long drives (and certainly more enjoyable) as compared to the Macan.

Would a GTS lose its luster after 49k miles in 19 months? Maybe? If I didn’t have family hauling and outdoor activities that the Macan is more suited to, I’d probably be 100% with the GTS (though the center lock wheels would make snow tires a PITA).
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:48 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Just because it is a GTS does not mean it has CLs: I ordered mine without CLs and there are several of us here without them as well.
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:52 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SBARacing
Jupiter - Miami - Jupiter
My dream car was a GT3, I finally got one and the wife convinced me that it wouldn't be fair to the kids. So I decided to go GTS instead.
18 months later, the kids hardly drive with me and it's a date or a a sat/sun ride.
The NA and the fact of owning a GT car, that was a dream is what is so appealing. So I saved the extra $, found a perfect GT# and was going to pull the trigger, but the wife had a great idea with the 718 DD and keeping the GTS. She says that I don't look as happy driving the GTI as I do the GTS and that is obvious
Though I got to admit, that GTI in manual is a fun car.
I absolutely love the sound of the GT3 engines and there’s no real comparison with the GTS. However, the torque from the GTS is super intoxicating and more than makes up for it (for me).

Since you don’t need the back seats and you’ve always wanted one, you should maybe do it. FL roads are pretty good compared to the (bad!) Northeast roads, so the stiffer suspension shouldn’t be an issue.

I don’t think you’ll go wrong either way as the 718 GTS is super fun too. But a GTI is still lower risk for parking, etc.

Toss a coin? ;-)
Old 11-24-2019 | 11:53 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Just because it is a GTS does not mean it has CLs: I ordered mine without CLs and there are several of us here without them as well.
For sure... was just stating that on mine, the CLs would make swapping for winters a pain. I wish I’d ordered mine without, but hadn’t realized it was an option at the time.
Old 11-25-2019 | 12:51 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
I absolutely love the sound of the GT3 engines and there’s no real comparison with the GTS. However, the torque from the GTS is super intoxicating and more than makes up for it (for me).

Since you don’t need the back seats and you’ve always wanted one, you should maybe do it. FL roads are pretty good compared to the (bad!) Northeast roads, so the stiffer suspension shouldn’t be an issue.

I don’t think you’ll go wrong either way as the 718 GTS is super fun too. But a GTI is still lower risk for parking, etc.

Toss a coin? ;-)
yep, I totally agree.
The the wife explained it was, would you rather up you smile a little (GTS to GT3) on the weekend only, or keep your smile on the weekend and add a smile for Mon-Fri.
It was a nice way of describing it, the diff between a GTS to a GT3 is much smaller than a GTI to a 718, right?
Old 11-25-2019 | 07:29 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

The GTI is an excellent car (I've owned 3, the latest being a 2015), but there's just no comparison to the connection and response of a Porcshe. Since most of your time on the road is spent commuting, I reccommend doing it in the most fun car possible, which in this case is the 718. The GT3 is special, but If you don't need the cargo capacity of the GTI I would go with the GTS & 718.
The following 2 users liked this post by fueledbymetal:
CT_Peter (11-25-2019), SBARacing (11-25-2019)

Quick Reply: 911 GTS weekend & 718 DD vs. GT3 & GTI DD