Sponsored by:

991.2 Noise on Start-Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019 | 04:32 PM
arch7
Instructor

Default 991.2 Noise on Start-Up

Good Afternoon All!
I have been really enjoying my '17 C2. The last time I posted was about the water pump replacement which I see many others have had too. For sometime after the car sits for several days, like 7 at the most, I get what sounds like valve chatter on start-up, and it's only on the right bank. It will go away once the car is warm, but it's very obvious with the windows down. I am headed to the dealer to get my winter wheels and tires put on so I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone has a reason/solution for this so I can be more informed when I go to them. For them to hear it, I'd have to leave the car with them for several days and just hope it happens for them. When it happens I just drive it gingerly, but it is becoming more consistent when it happens rather than the very intermittent when it first started. Thanks all for your time! PS: 16,000 miles....
Old 11-24-2019 | 04:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

What oil?
Old 11-24-2019 | 08:34 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Oil drains from valve lifters over time. It takes a few miles to build up oil pressure to lifters. This is normal on flat engines. As you say, "...drive gingerly..." 'till it goes away. I know, it's embarrassing to drive down the road sounding like an old clock.
Old 11-24-2019 | 10:19 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

This happened once to my 991.2 S, it had been sitting just one or two days. Drove softly for a few blocks and it went away.

It only had a few K miles then. Has never happened again, now has 8k+ miles.
Old 11-25-2019 | 09:59 AM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by DBH
Oil drains from valve lifters over time. It takes a few miles to build up oil pressure to lifters. This is normal on flat engines. As you say, "...drive gingerly..." 'till it goes away. I know, it's embarrassing to drive down the road sounding like an old clock.
Indeed, it's a fairly common problem, but doesn't seem to be detrimental.

Jason
Old 11-25-2019 | 07:05 PM
jlayco
Intermediate

I have a 2017 C2 with around 14,500 miles on it. I’ve experienced the same thing. After sitting for several days to a week there is a definite ticking sound on a cold start. IT seems to happen inconsistently with varying intensity. It goes away within ten minutes. I’m considering taking it to the dealer while it’s still in warranty and as you’ve said they will need to keep the car approximately a week. I drive the car lightly until it warms up anyway. The tick has had no impact on performance. To me it’s annoying and a bit disappointing in a car of this caliber. If an enthusiast were standing close by on a cold start they would no doubt ask what the ticking sound was. I would be concerned if I were selling the car. A prospective buyer would definitely want to know what the ticking was. Ive read some other threads on this. Some say it’s no big deal. Others say it shouldn’t do it. I’ll continue to read comments by others and in time see what the dealer has to say.
Old 11-25-2019 | 07:21 PM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by jlayco
I have a 2017 C2 with around 14,500 miles on it. I’ve experienced the same thing. After sitting for several days to a week there is a definite ticking sound on a cold start. IT seems to happen inconsistently with varying intensity. It goes away within ten minutes. I’m considering taking it to the dealer while it’s still in warranty and as you’ve said they will need to keep the car approximately a week. I drive the car lightly until it warms up anyway. The tick has had no impact on performance. To me it’s annoying and a bit disappointing in a car of this caliber. If an enthusiast were standing close by on a cold start they would no doubt ask what the ticking sound was. I would be concerned if I were selling the car. A prospective buyer would definitely want to know what the ticking was. Ive read some other threads on this. Some say it’s no big deal. Others say it shouldn’t do it. I’ll continue to read comments by others and in time see what the dealer has to say.
I believe it's "no big deal".

I've owned three (3) Porsches and they've all ticked at one time or another. If driven several times a week there is typically no ticking. However, if the car sits for over a week, there's a good chance that one or more of the lifters will drain down, resulting in a ticking noise upon startup. When I experience a lifter ticking I generally sit in the driveway with the engine idling for a few minutes to pump up the lifter/s with oil before hitting the road.

Jason
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (11-26-2019)
Old 11-25-2019 | 09:16 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arch7
Good Afternoon All!
I have been really enjoying my '17 C2. The last time I posted was about the water pump replacement which I see many others have had too. For sometime after the car sits for several days, like 7 at the most, I get what sounds like valve chatter on start-up, and it's only on the right bank. It will go away once the car is warm, but it's very obvious with the windows down. I am headed to the dealer to get my winter wheels and tires put on so I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone has a reason/solution for this so I can be more informed when I go to them. For them to hear it, I'd have to leave the car with them for several days and just hope it happens for them. When it happens I just drive it gingerly, but it is becoming more consistent when it happens rather than the very intermittent when it first started. Thanks all for your time! PS: 16,000 miles....
'17 C2 here. Got back from Japan in November, about a 12 day trip. Had identical symptoms as you indicate above first morning back. Drove car to work, then had no noise after my 17 mile commute. All normal after that. Last night I returned from a 5 day trip to Albuquerque. Just like before, I had the same exact thing this morning, noise like tap tap tap on startup and going down the neighborhood. Went away.

When I drive the car, daily, I never hear this.

I surmise it is like the more experienced folks here say; there is some leak-down which needs some time to replenish whereever the oil is, before normal operations (and sounds) resume.
Old 11-25-2019 | 09:29 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Normal behaviour of a flat six engine.

Confirmed from my dealer. No problem at all.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019 | 12:10 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Normal. Have experienced in my T and my 993. As others have stated - just need to build oil pressure in the lifters and it goes away.
Old 11-26-2019 | 12:28 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

2017 C2S with 9K miles. Mine did it too and it was almost embarrassing leaving the neighborhood. I'm very close with a gold tech and Porsche knows about it. It has been discussed on their internal forums or so he said.It is particularly loud on the 3L engines. I've had my dealer document it three times on my records in case anything happens after warranty. Not sure if that will do me any good.

The good news is I switched to Motul 8100 x-cess 5w-40 and I now hear it once maybe twice at the end of the oil cycle which for me is around 3000 miles and when it does occur it is much quieter. Is the Motul the reason it got better, who knows, can only tell you my experience.

Old 11-26-2019 | 07:31 AM
jlayco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BOPE
I believe it's "no big deal".

I've owned three (3) Porsches and they've all ticked at one time or another. If driven several times a week there is typically no ticking. However, if the car sits for over a week, there's a good chance that one or more of the lifters will drain down, resulting in a ticking noise upon startup. When I experience a lifter ticking I generally sit in the driveway with the engine idling for a few minutes to pump up the lifter/s with oil before hitting the road.

Jason
Appreciate the feedback. I’m going to continue to drive it lightly on warm up and after that forget about it.
Old 11-26-2019 | 12:42 PM
arch7
Instructor

Good Day Everyone! So sorry to be MIA. I really appreciate the replies and thoughts on this. Glad to hear its a relatively common. One of my Caymans used to blow some smoke startup too. But if it's due to lack of oil, isn't harming something? I use M1 0W40. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2019 | 08:19 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arch7
Good Day Everyone! So sorry to be MIA. I really appreciate the replies and thoughts on this. Glad to hear its a relatively common. One of my Caymans used to blow some smoke startup too. But if it's due to lack of oil, isn't harming something? I use M1 0W40. Thanks!
I’m going to try Motul 0W40 for the next oil change to see if this goes away and also want to see if the viscosity stays true compare to the M1 that doesn’t retain upper viscosity number.
Old 11-26-2019 | 09:42 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

5/50 Mobil 1 today, which replaced the factory fill and it seems quieter to me upon start up and the rest of the time. And for those doubters the dealer provided it via 9 quarts and gave me the opened container they did not use, which contains about 2/3 qt. This was my free service and I am asked them (Jacksonville Porsche, formally known as Brumos) what the cost would be if it was not: $375 + tax and $12 per quart if I wanted 5/50 instead of the 0/40 bulk fill.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 11-26-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Noise on Start-Up