Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use a heat gun on my headlight's PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 11:53 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Can I use a heat gun on my headlight's PPF?

I have some minor blemishes on the PPF over my headlight from putting a little too much elbow grease into what I thought was dirt removal (but was actually a rock chip in the film). Now it has what looks like little scratch marks, but are actually minor indentations in the PPF.

I've had success removing similar blemishes from the hood's PPF with a heat gun, but I had to get the it pretty darn hot for the PPF to even back out. I worry about using the heat gun on the headlight housing, since it's plastic and might melt, deform, or discolor.

Has anyone tried this?

Old 11-21-2019, 12:02 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

When you wrap your headlights, there is always a risk of delamination, if you ever decide to remove them. I would be worried about heating them up too much, causing the film to shrink a bit, and create a pull effect on the coating of the lens. If it was me, I would use the heat gun with caution, hit it with some heat and back off, and keep at it. Or, leave it outside in the sun and let the sun do it’s magic. I know it’s cold here in NJ now, but I would try with the heat gun/dryer. I personally have my headlights protected with PPF too, and do it for all cars. As long as you are careful, they are fine.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:48 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Just tried it. The blemishes came out extremely quickly with far less heat than I needed for similar blemishes on the metal hood. It worked so well that I tried to hit another area of the same headlight that was scuffed somehow. 90% the scuff came out, but needed more heat... so much so that I ended up making a slight wrinkle in the PPF. But it's hardly noticeable.

Anyway, a heat gun does work on a headlight, but it must be used very gently.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:24 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

PPF manufacturers recommend hot water.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (11-22-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 11:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Heat on film can cause bubbles and or shrinking so be careful!
Old 11-22-2019, 09:08 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

++^^^^ @Bob Z. To your point, I saw a recent video of an "expert" PPF installer putting film on GT3RS headlights, and he explained that for the headlamps you should always use steam rather than air heat. The heat gun dries the film making it harder to work around the complex curves especially near the edges. I've personally installed PPF on my own 991 headlamps multiple times now, and can tell you how hard it is to get perfect using slip and a heat gun....
Old 11-22-2019, 09:16 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Well, as I mentioned above, the heat worked very well but only when used sparingly. In the past, when I used the gun on some hood scratches (i.e. metal) it took a LOT of heat to get them smoothed out and the film performed very well. No bubbles or shrinkage. When used on the headlight, the scratches went away within about 30 seconds of applying a medium amount of heat. But then, with increased confidence, I moved onto a different, deeper, scuff mark. The scuff mark improved a lot, but I also ended up putting slight wrinkle in the film. Unnoticeable from more than a foot away, but it's there...
Old 11-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

I was told that Expel says don't use their film on 991 headlights due to delamination. My headlights were changed under warranty, but never had film on them.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:29 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

I have no idea if the PPF I have is Expel or not. It was there when I bought the car.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:51 PM
damien996
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I put PPF on my 991.2 headlights and it was very difficult to get even close to perfect, mostly because the curved shape of the lights stretching the film unevenly. I decided that I’d rather not have the PPF on my headlights because it didn’t look clear enough to my eyes when I looked through the headlights and difficulty with the edges. I ended up removing the PPF with a steamer and had no issue with getting it off and avoided any damage to the headlights by using the steamer. I was concerned about delamination but using the steamer made it simple. I only kept the PPF on for about a couple weeks.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:33 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Send them to Moe.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Glad it came out.

I would recommend still PFF'ing headlights. Either you are going to have tons of rock chips on the headlights or you are going to possibly delaminate the headlight. But when the film is on there you will overall have a better look since you won't have chips on them since the PPF absorbs the chips better than the headlight itself. If you take off the PPF and you delaminate the headlight, I would just wetsand them and polish and then put another layer of PPF on them to protect them. Removing PPF with steam is the safest way.

Quick Reply: Can I use a heat gun on my headlight's PPF?