Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KW HAS and DCS

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 03:37 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

What is not Clear to me is how many models DSC V3 Controller has.

One or two?

Does the DSCV3 controller has normal and Sport or no matter which Mode is selected the controller has a variable Range of 20%-90% stifness?
Old 11-22-2019, 03:44 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
What is not Clear to me is how many models DSC V3 Controller has.

One or two?
Two, just like stock

Does the DSCV3 controller has normal and Sport or no matter which Mode is selected the controller has a variable Range of 20%-90% stifness?
The sport map is more aggressive in lower/upper boundaries, as well as the ramp rates/gain (how fast it gets there and how sensitive it is to getting there).

As far as the upper and lower boundaries, you would have to look at your particular map to see the ranges. Pretty basic to download the software, download a MAP off their site, and look at the values.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-22-2019 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nilaz (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 08:40 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
I've had the DSC fitted for around 9 months. The car has just been back to the shop for the KW bits. I've no idea what specific settings were changed for my custom map, there are many tables to adjust. But I do know it was a lot better than out of the box. Picking up tomorrow and will see how it is with new springs, spacers and fresh geo.
did you pick it up? I'm curious to know the height measurements to compare with mine which is 27" on both front and rear.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:48 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Two, just like stock
The sport map is more aggressive in lower/upper boundaries, as well as the ramp rates/gain (how fast it gets there and how sensitive it is to getting there).

As far as the upper and lower boundaries, you would have to look at your particular map to see the ranges. Pretty basic to download the software, download a MAP off their site, and look at the values.
Thank you for your feedback. Today i spend some time in the DSC software and also try to understand the map files for 991, GT3 touring and GT2RS/3RS etc.

No idea about the parameters and how they control the car. Not expert at all on the car industry.
Following the youtube video from DSC guys i managed to upload and save the file my controller shipped from TOM (no idea which map was used) then perform zero ride height and install GT3 touring map.

Some observation (not sure was my idea) is that after zero ride settings and load of the GT3 Touring map i hear the suspension make some adjustments. Is this true?

Drove the car only for 30 minutes but i feel GT3 touring map after Zero ride setting is much better feeling for my taste.
Normal mode is more stiff than prior map but i feel more smooth than stock.

Sport mode is completely different than before more stiff and car feel more close the the sport OEM mode.

I need obviously more time to drive the car but i feel the GT3 touring map is more close to my driving requirements as my car is a weekend drive car.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:35 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your feedback. Today i spend some time in the DSC software and also try to understand the map files for 991, GT3 touring and GT2RS/3RS etc.

No idea about the parameters and how they control the car. Not expert at all on the car industry.
Following the youtube video from DSC guys i managed to upload and save the file my controller shipped from TOM (no idea which map was used) then perform zero ride height and install GT3 touring map.

Some observation (not sure was my idea) is that after zero ride settings and load of the GT3 Touring map i hear the suspension make some adjustments. Is this true?

Drove the car only for 30 minutes but i feel GT3 touring map after Zero ride setting is much better feeling for my taste.
Normal mode is more stiff than prior map but i feel more smooth than stock.

Sport mode is completely different than before more stiff and car feel more close the the sport OEM mode.

I need obviously more time to drive the car but i feel the GT3 touring map is more close to my driving requirements as my car is a weekend drive car.
Is your car lowered?
Old 11-23-2019, 12:23 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

It is not lowered. Stock suspension.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

So i installed the DSC a few days ago and while It feels like its better during street driving(not by much) it definitely suffered on freeway driving. The car feels much softer in both normal and sport mode and at higher speeds I'm pretty sure it rubbed. I'm going to remove it to make sure my assessment is correct. Should I be trying different maps? If so how do I go about getting and uploading them?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:46 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

DCS is very special mod which initially confuses.

I had same feeling with you. You do not need to remove it. I fully suggest to install GT3 Touring map and you Will see the difference.

There is a guide in DCS Web Page that you can upload the new map in less than 10 mins.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:48 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,056 Likes on 531 Posts

I appreciate the thread. Ive used KW has kit on two of my past BMW's with great success. Im left wondering if you are going too low and perhaps riding on the bump stops? Because those had to be changed when you installed the KW has kit on BMWs to smaller ones. And even then, if I dropped mine too low, 1/4th of a INCH would make ALL the difference in the world in ride quality.

Regardless, thank you for posting this. Im about to buy wheels. Im not sure if I want 20" or 21"s. And I dont know if I wanted to lower it or not. If I do, I was going to use KW HAS as well. But all of this is making me rethink my plan. So thank you. I appreciate the info.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:59 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I appreciate the thread. Ive used KW has kit on two of my past BMW's with great success. Im left wondering if you are going too low and perhaps riding on the bump stops? Because those had to be changed when you installed the KW has kit on BMWs to smaller ones. And even then, if I dropped mine too low, 1/4th of a INCH would make ALL the difference in the world in ride quality.

Regardless, thank you for posting this. Im about to buy wheels. Im not sure if I want 20" or 21"s. And I dont know if I wanted to lower it or not. If I do, I was going to use KW HAS as well. But all of this is making me rethink my plan. So thank you. I appreciate the info.
If I were to do it all over again i'd probably go with 21/20's and maybe slightly more sidewall up front so that i wouldn't need to lower as much. With that said I'm gonna fiddle with it a little more and see how it goes. I know that worst case scenario I'll need to raise both front/rear just a hair and it'll drive like stock(as it did before I went back for an additional 1/4" in the front).
Old 12-02-2019, 01:29 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,056 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by eysa
If I were to do it all over again i'd probably go with 21/20's and maybe slightly more sidewall up front so that i wouldn't need to lower as much. With that said I'm gonna fiddle with it a little more and see how it goes. I know that worst case scenario I'll need to raise both front/rear just a hair and it'll drive like stock(as it did before I went back for an additional 1/4" in the front).
Yea this is not an easy thing to figure out. I love the GT3 wheels. But the front offset is wrong for my car. And Im not sure I want to mess with aftermarket lower control arms to correct it. If I buy aftermarket wheels. Im learning towards 21". Because If Im going to pay 8K++ I might as well pay 10K++ for 21's.

But then what do 21" look like on stock suspension. Probably not good. So that means I need to lower it. Ugh. Do I do all this or just buy GT3 wheels and deal with sunken front wheels. I dont know what to do...

And here you are doing some good leg work on the KW solution. So thank you again. Id rather hear first hand experience than just buy something and pray it works out.
The following users liked this post:
calijax (12-03-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 01:55 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

GTS is a very fast car which can achieve in Nurburgring very fast time without CUP tires.

Imagine to use same tires with the big RS brothers.

I cannot understand why someone wants to change the geometry of the car without a solid proven result.

If you want maximum performance keep stock or close to stock setup.

If you want another look be ready to minimize performance or pay a lot of money to change the car geometry.

Of course each car belongs to his Owner therefore enjoy your mods.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:10 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

GTS is a very fast car which can achieve in Nurburgring very fast time without CUP tires.

Imagine to use same tires with the big RS brothers.

I cannot understand why someone wants to change the geometry of the car without a solid proven result.

If you want maximum performance keep stock or close to stock setup..
Their are plenty of 911's with coilovers and such that are running faster with modified suspension. GT2RS MR uses KW coilovers. The OEM suspension is setup for all around street use. I think if you go Bistein, KW, Ohlins, JRZ, or Tractive you are in good hands.

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/por...r-at-the-ring/

Old 12-02-2019, 02:36 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Their are plenty of 911's with coilovers and such that are running faster with modified suspension. GT2RS MR uses KW coilovers. The OEM suspension is setup for all around street use. I think if you go Bistein, KW, Ohlins, JRZ, or Tractive you are in good hands.

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/por...r-at-the-ring/
For sure after market suspension can improve the car. I am aware what MR is using as i have contacted them in the past to get some ideas to lower my car and decide about my Light weight wheels. These guys are quite experienced as they are one of the Racing teams of Porsche.

As i am based in Europe i was considering to drive my car there and install MR setup. The point is that KW coilovers and all the other goodies that MR is using need to be purschased as a Package leads to a quite expensive upgrade targeting track usage and affecting road rides.

You cannot expect to lower a stock car in order to improve the look and improve also the suspension. Does not always work. That was my point.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

DCS is very special mod which initially confuses.

I had same feeling with you. You do not need to remove it. I fully suggest to install GT3 Touring map and you Will see the difference.

There is a guide in DCS Web Page that you can upload the new map in less than 10 mins.
Unfortunately I use a MacBook so its not an option for me. I may have to send the unit in and have DSC do it for me unless I use someones PC. What cable is used to connect the DSC to a PC?

Quick Reply: KW HAS and DCS