Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Traction in Cold Climates

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019 | 12:56 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by verstraete
"Summer Tires" is a wide category. The High Performance Summer Tires fitted to cars like 911s may be much more sensitive to cold temperatures than the summer tires fitted to less performance oriented vehicles.
I didn’t know this!

I live in Seattle and we are now getting temps in the low 40s. My 911 is en-route from Texas will be interesting to see how it feels in these conditions on summer tires. It’s my DD so may have to get winters on it quick!
Old 11-21-2019 | 01:24 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

A link to information regarding dangers of low temperature use of high performance summer tires.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...king/index.htm

Old 11-21-2019 | 01:30 PM
garfunkle
Banned

So - any 991 is going to have superior traction to your M3. The electronics are better, the suspension is better and it is a much higher standard of engineering. If you survived in an M3 then any version of a 991 will be an improvement.

Couple of options to think about:
1. AWD will dress this concern the best IMO
2. The NA variants have lower torque numbers that don't kick in until way higher in the rev range but even the 3.0tt have a lot less torque than the M3 so will be much more manageable.
Old 11-21-2019 | 01:33 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by sr5959
I didn’t know this!

I live in Seattle and we are now getting temps in the low 40s. My 911 is en-route from Texas will be interesting to see how it feels in these conditions on summer tires. It’s my DD so may have to get winters on it quick!
If I lived in Seattle - I would be looking at all season tires. The fitments aren't always one for one but Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is an amazing performance all arounder.

The biggest issue is waiting for the tires to heat up and not drive like a mad man (or woman) until this happens. Even still you won't have the grip that they are designed for. My buddy's M5 not only has a tire pressure monitor but also a tire temp display.... wish Porsche would add this!
Old 11-21-2019 | 02:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I fall into the winter tire camp. I put winter tires on my 911 every winter, and I drive it all year long. The winter tires that Porsche recommends for the 911 are much more performance oriented than the winter tires that I put on my wife's SUV. In my opinion, the Michelin Latitude Alpins are fantastic, and the car handles very well on cold, dry pavement. Aside from the hassle of changing wheels and tires twice a year, I think it's a no-brainer to put winter tires on the car.

Quick Reply: Question on Traction in Cold Climates