Sponsored by:

Retrofit Sport Chrono??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 09:49 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ddaudi
I found what would be my perfect 991.2 C4S except it is missing Sport Chrono.
My understanding is that Sport Chrono is required to put the PDK into the most sporty mode.
I think Sport Chrono consists of the clock on the dash, the control buttons mounted on the steering wheel (see pic), and then of course the software that makes it work.
I've no need for the clock on the dash, but I'd like the control buttons and the software.
I'm guessing the control buttons could be added if the stock wiring harness happens to include the necessary wires, otherwise not. Or maybe replace steering wheel with one that includes the buttons?
I don't anticipate the dash clock does anything much and that the software is located somewhere else.
So could sport chrono be added to my dream car by adding the buttons and doing a software update?
I wouldn't mind adding the clock as well, just thinking it isn't necessary and would probably be more of a challenging mod.

i see from your later post that you ended up purchasing your 991.2 with sports chrono instead of attempting a retrofit. I wanted to share the information I gathered on retrofitting sports chrono on my 981CS. On the 981 forum Visual installed the SC clock and sports plus button and used PIWIS with a hacked activation code to retrofit the sport chrono package. It is a complete SC system except without the dynamic engine mounts. It is my understanding that the hacked purchased activation code can be installed with PIWIS 2 or PIWIS3 on a 981 or 991.1 with PCM 3.1 but Porsche closed the door on entering a hacked activation code on a 991.2 or 718 with a PCM 4.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
PorscheRob23 (05-02-2024)
Old 07-11-2021, 02:43 AM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
i see from your later post that you ended up purchasing your 991.2 with sports chrono instead of attempting a retrofit. I wanted to share the information I gathered on retrofitting sports chrono on my 981CS. On the 981 forum Visual installed the SC clock and sports plus button and used PIWIS with a hacked activation code to retrofit the sport chrono package. It is a complete SC system except without the dynamic engine mounts. It is my understanding that the hacked purchased activation code can be installed with PIWIS 2 or PIWIS3 on a 981 or 991.1 with PCM 3.1 but Porsche closed the door on entering a hacked activation code on a 991.2 or 718 with a PCM 4.
Jim
Thanks, that's super helpful. I have a 991.1 and planning to do the hacked upgrade (sans the dynamic engine mounts, which fail too often anyways). Do you know if you get an error in the dashboard for not having dynamic mounts on the engine? I wonder if there are sensors that detect if Sport Chrono is active, Dynamic engine mounts must be "detected" by the sensors.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:18 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype
Thanks, that's super helpful. I have a 991.1 and planning to do the hacked upgrade (sans the dynamic engine mounts, which fail too often anyways). Do you know if you get an error in the dashboard for not having dynamic mounts on the engine? I wonder if there are sensors that detect if Sport Chrono is active, Dynamic engine mounts must be "detected" by the sensors.
I have already installed the sport plus button when I installed my PSE and have also installed the SC clock and it is operational. I am looking fo someone in central Ohio (hint,hint) with PIWIS2 or 3 to activate my hacked SC activation code. I may have to buy PIWIS if I can’t find it. According to Visual in his 981 forum post “981 sport chrono retrofit part 2: software side” he has a fully functional SC package including lap timers, g-force display, launch control and relaxed nanny’s, but no dynamic engine mounts. He did not mention any issues with dashboard warnings.
Jim
Old 07-11-2021, 08:47 PM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have already installed the sport plus button when I installed my PSE and have also installed the SC clock and it is operational. I am looking fo someone in central Ohio (hint,hint) with PIWIS2 or 3 to activate my hacked SC activation code. I may have to buy PIWIS if I can’t find it. According to Visual in his 981 forum post “981 sport chrono retrofit part 2: software side” he has a fully functional SC package including lap timers, g-force display, launch control and relaxed nanny’s, but no dynamic engine mounts. He did not mention any issues with dashboard warnings.
Jim
Hey Jim,
I am planning to purchase PIWIS2 if you're interested in sharing the damn thing. I've got a windows laptop (Thinkpad) with a VM running the PIWIS2 software v18. It's waiting for the hardware now - I purchased it 4 days ago but the Chinese guys got back to me that I have to purchase a harddrive with it. Let's see what happens.

PM me if you're interested, thanks!
Old 12-28-2021, 12:36 AM
PCMGEEKS
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

991.1 and 991.2 both are possible to activate sport plus performance.
after installing the sport Chrono activator, go to PIWIS2 or PIWIS3 tester menu, air-con => drive => function enable => input sport Chrono activation code from us.
The following users liked this post:
Cur (01-17-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 09:08 AM
matt miller
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddaudi
I found what would be my perfect 991.2 C4S except it is missing Sport Chrono.
My understanding is that Sport Chrono is required to put the PDK into the most sporty mode.
I think Sport Chrono consists of the clock on the dash, the control buttons mounted on the steering wheel (see pic), and then of course the software that makes it work.
I've no need for the clock on the dash, but I'd like the control buttons and the software.
I'm guessing the control buttons could be added if the stock wiring harness happens to include the necessary wires, otherwise not. Or maybe replace steering wheel with one that includes the buttons?
I don't anticipate the dash clock does anything much and that the software is located somewhere else.
So could sport chrono be added to my dream car by adding the buttons and doing a software update?
I wouldn't mind adding the clock as well, just thinking it isn't necessary and would probably be more of a challenging mod.

I tuned my base 991.2 with APR and now it’s fast af. I’m blowing everything that pulls up to me and wants to race, away.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:24 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by matt miller
I tuned my base 991.2 with APR and now it’s fast af. I’m blowing everything that pulls up to me and wants to race, away.
Welcome to RL and great first post!
Old 06-30-2024, 02:20 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim
Question did u have to replace the full steering wheel I bought the sports steering button seoerate wondering if I need new bezels to make it fit or it will fit into existing steering wheel
Old 06-30-2024, 02:21 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMGEEKS
991.1 and 991.2 both are possible to activate sport plus performance.
after installing the sport Chrono activator, go to PIWIS2 or PIWIS3 tester menu, air-con => drive => function enable => input sport Chrono activation code from us.
Do u have a code for a 991.2 2019

Quick Reply: Retrofit Sport Chrono??