Sponsored by:

Advise for a Porsche Noob

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 10:25 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Shines
My Z06 is a manual and frankly I'm ready to make the switch to a DC auto. The 911 turbo's give me fits at the track, that's one reason I'm looking in that direction.
Definitely the car you want to look at, 2014+ Turbo. You will absolutely love the PDK transmission on the Turbo. Shifts are crisp and lightning quick.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Shines
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Then buy the outgoing ZR1. Great read here (and read his other ZR1 threads, too):

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ervations.html
I've driven the ZR1, it's a beast but has more power than is usable in the front engine rwd architecture.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:21 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Hello everyone..long time amateur Corvette racer here looking to move to Porsche. I currently track a 2018 Z06 Corvette and would like a Porsche with similar power/performance. Being a noob to Porsche I'm assuming that's going to be a late model 911 turbo. I can afford about $130K which means getting a preowned model, but what year should I be looking at?

Also, I've never tracked an AWD car but I presume they perform better if for no other reason than better traction. Any other considerations for RWD over AWD?
Okay slow down there.so many people in this thread know nothing like John snow!

a 991.2 S with cup 2 tires (pagid yellow brake pads) and PDK ( sport package with sport pasm will be perfect for you ) similar performance.
best part it won’t overheat like the Z06( possibly overheats) it will be consistent and run hard all day long
want even faster get a GTS or buy a power kit for the 991.2 S
or
get yourself a 991.1 GT3 ( which is slower on the straights but better in the brake zone and corners than the options listed above) best resale
or get yourself a 991.1 turbo or 991.2 turbo.

all those
mentioned above have great performance similar to a z06 on the real world on a race track.

best part is they are reliable - will run hard at the track and NOT overheat / brake - not saying z06 does but never had a problem with Porsche’s .

thats what makes Porsche’s so good - consistency in lap times

i highly suggest you YouTube Randy post best driver car Porsche and see what randy says ( best to learn from him)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
2010 to 2011 (997.2) GT3 for less than $130K.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1153105

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1166621

Any non GT car will not hold up well to regular tracking. Plus their depreciation curve is just like other cars if that is a concern.

Thats such bs - I’ve tracked stock 991.s and 991.2 s never had a problem.
im sorry but you are so wrong!
Also news flash a 997.2 GT3 is slower than a 991.2 S spec out properly by a lot
Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Bud Stoner
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the performance numbers on my "14 S...………...
Old 10-29-2019, 11:15 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default GT3

You want the newest GT3 you can afford. Out of the box track car and naturally asipirated. Reach out to the local pca and tell them you are trying to find someone to do a ride along with at a track day. They should hook you up. Not all P guys eat expensive mustard and have butlers.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:38 PM
Shines
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
You want the newest GT3 you can afford. Out of the box track car and naturally asipirated. Reach out to the local pca and tell them you are trying to find someone to do a ride along with at a track day. They should hook you up. Not all P guys eat expensive mustard and have butlers.
Good advise, appreciate it.

LOL on the mustard and butler comment. Yea, I’m definitely no rich guy, hell I’ll end up having to finance a portion of what ever Porsche I buy. I appreciate Porsche for the precision engineering and performance, not interested in the status symbol aspect of owning one.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:54 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Track days at various places here in the SE (Daytona, Roebling Roads, Sebring). When I go to Daytona it's actually with the local Porsche club; no one ever talks to me though :-) So I don't get a chance to talk about their cars.
You go to PCA DE events at Daytona and there are no GT3's????? BS. You don't walk the paddock in-between sessions and look at the cars???

Any 911 is ready for the track. If you are a racer, buy a race car. If you are looking to track a sports car, buy any 911. They all work perfectly fine on track. Once you are comfortable with the craft, buy a race car. A GT3 is not a race car.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:00 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
What kind of racing do you do that you never heard of a GT3? They are arch rivals to the Vette.

It's a track only car? I would be looking at 991 GT3 and Cup cars only. Both of which can be had for your budget.

GT3
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1164347
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1157668
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1166215

Cup
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...nning-car.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...1-gt3-cup.html
+1
Old 10-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Shines
AutoX

Originally Posted by 3Series
You go to PCA DE events at Daytona and there are no GT3's????? BS. You don't walk the paddock in-between sessions and look at the cars???

Any 911 is ready for the track. If you are a racer, buy a race car. If you are looking to track a sports car, buy any 911. They all work perfectly fine on track. Once you are comfortable with the craft, buy a race car. A GT3 is not a race car.
Nice to meet you too, sunshine. When I go to the track it's to drive my car, not to socialize or look at other cars.

As a Corvette owner, frankly I've never paid much attention to the various Porsche models. But now that I know the GT3 has a high wing, I realize I have seen quite a few of them. I noticed the turbo's only because I've spent a fair bit of time behind them reading the word 'Turbo'!
The following 3 users liked this post by Shines:
Honda (10-30-2019), shammerman (10-30-2019), Thinc2 (11-01-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:37 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice to meet you too, sunshine. When I go to the track it's to drive my car, not to socialize or look at other cars.

As a Corvette owner, frankly I've never paid much attention to the various Porsche models. But now that I know the GT3 has a high wing, I realize I have seen quite a few of them. I noticed the turbo's only because I've spent a fair bit of time behind them reading the word 'Turbo'!
This cracked me up!

I would suggest starting out by doing a little bit of research on the different models. Naturally the newest cars will be fastest, but there is a lot of other things you need to consider, like will you be taking the car out for drives not on a race track. Or on the weekends. If so cars like GT3's and GT4's are/can be pretty rough on street (this is all personal preference but something to consider).

If you are only looking for AWD, then Turbo and Carrera/s/gts 4 is what youll need to start researching. If you want a manual option, the Turbo gets drops from the list as its PDK only. So that will narrow your list to the Carrera lineup. I think this would help focus the research.

Personally I wouldnt get AWD for a primarily track focused purchase. While they are fast and easy to drive, the feel (or lack of) is garbage.

GT3 (991 1st and 2nd gen)> 2017-2019 (991.2) Carrera S w/ X51 powerkit or GTS> 991.2 Carrera T with Sport buckets and non carbon brakes (stock will need update) would be the order I personally would go. All in 7MT.

Start from the right side if you plan to have the car as a mountain/canyon carver and track like up to 10 days a year second.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Shines
AutoX

Originally Posted by 911.
This cracked me up!

I would suggest starting out by doing a little bit of research on the different models. Naturally the newest cars will be fastest, but there is a lot of other things you need to consider, like will you be taking the car out for drives not on a race track. Or on the weekends. If so cars like GT3's and GT4's are/can be pretty rough on street (this is all personal preference but something to consider).

If you are only looking for AWD, then Turbo and Carrera/s/gts 4 is what youll need to start researching. If you want a manual option, the Turbo gets drops from the list as its PDK only. So that will narrow your list to the Carrera lineup. I think this would help focus the research.

Personally I wouldnt get AWD for a primarily track focused purchase. While they are fast and easy to drive, the feel (or lack of) is garbage.

GT3 (991 1st and 2nd gen)> 2017-2019 (991.2) Carrera S w/ X51 powerkit or GTS> 991.2 Carrera T with Sport buckets and non carbon brakes (stock will need update) would be the order I personally would go. All in 7MT.

Start from the right side if you plan to have the car as a mountain/canyon carver and track like up to 10 days a year second.
Good stuff! Thank you. The car would be used for an occasional date night with the wife and about 8 track events/yr. I'm burned out on manuals and love the instantaneous response of a DC trans, so I'd be looking at getting one with the PDK.
Does the AWD makes you feel disconnected from the road?
Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 PM
Shines
AutoX

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Okay slow down there.so many people in this thread know nothing like John snow!

a 991.2 S with cup 2 tires (pagid yellow brake pads) and PDK ( sport package with sport pasm will be perfect for you ) similar performance.
best part it won’t overheat like the Z06( possibly overheats) it will be consistent and run hard all day long
want even faster get a GTS or buy a power kit for the 991.2 S
or
get yourself a 991.1 GT3 ( which is slower on the straights but better in the brake zone and corners than the options listed above) best resale
or get yourself a 991.1 turbo or 991.2 turbo.

all those
mentioned above have great performance similar to a z06 on the real world on a race track.

best part is they are reliable - will run hard at the track and NOT overheat / brake - not saying z06 does but never had a problem with Porsche’s .

thats what makes Porsche’s so good - consistency in lap times

i highly suggest you YouTube Randy post best driver car Porsche and see what randy says ( best to learn from him)
Awesome, thanks! Heat soak is definitely an issue with the Z06; mine doesn't overheat but loses power after its soaked. I had a meth injection system installed to resolve the problem. But still, it's supposed to be a trackable car from the factory, it shouldn't need a damn meth system!
Old 10-29-2019, 10:29 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Good stuff! Thank you. The car would be used for an occasional date night with the wife and about 8 track events/yr. I'm burned out on manuals and love the instantaneous response of a DC trans, so I'd be looking at getting one with the PDK.
Does the AWD makes you feel disconnected from the road?
I just posted this in another thread but I remembered your thread - here is a GTS that would be a good choice for not much money: https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/339330
Old 10-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 149 Posts

Hey Shines,

Welcome. I don’t always agree with Bob Z. But that car he posted is as close to perfect as they come for your use case (I have no affiliation with the seller).

It doesn’t have centerlocks. It does have everything else. It’s Ring time was legendary, and it’s covered in leather. The price is excellent.

Put Cup 2 tires on it. Maybe pads/fluid - you’re done. You might even see the front of a Turbo, in your mirrors

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/339330

Quick Reply: Advise for a Porsche Noob