Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning to drive stick /well/

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019 | 11:51 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Default Learning to drive stick /well/

So being British, my first few cars were stick, but ever since my 2009 C4S I've had dual clutch autos. Our family runaround now is an automatic Merc.

I'm thinking my next fun car will be manual, but really, I've never driven a manual gearbox at pace, nor one where I'd be afraid of damaging it or getting in the wrong rev ranges.

Any suggestions beyond 'buy an mx5 and practice' ?

If I find the right Targa I suspect I'll have to move quick - and I'd like to not break the gearbox ;p Alternative is just PDK forever... but as its not a DD (my C4S was our only car in London) I figure something more engaging and less practical is probably in order

Cheers

M
Old 10-26-2019 | 11:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I have a manual Targa and when my wife first drove it she said that it seemed very easy to drive and she did not appear to have any difficulties and the car never bucked, etc. - if she can do that well I am sure you can. Give it a shot and you will appreciate the interaction and joy rowing yourself brings to an enthusiast.
Old 10-27-2019 | 02:42 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Better yet, buy an old car or truck without synchromesh and practice.
Old 10-27-2019 | 07:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Repetition.
Muscle memory.
Take the Porsche driving class for manuals.
Old 10-27-2019 | 08:16 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

If you've driven manuals before which you have it won't be difficult at all to drive the mt cars. Biggest concern is over revving on a bad down shift. Take it slow till you are comfortable and confident pushing it. The mt's in the new cars a very well built and can stand the abuse.
Old 10-27-2019 | 09:36 AM
stanleymorton
Advanced

Default Manual

Dude, these are race cars. I thought you will break it! Get your manual and enjoy it. SC option with rev matching will have you anticipating your next drive every time. Awesome feature to have with the manual along with the PSE if your into the pops n crackles like I am!
Cheers Mate!!!!
Old 10-27-2019 | 10:47 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You answered your own question. "..buy an mx5 and practice.."
Old 10-27-2019 | 11:18 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I don't think you will have an issue. Just start out slow and get familiar with the gearbox. Sit in your garage and practice going through the gears. I will never feel as confident driving a manual car quick as I do an automatic car, but luckily for me, I am not going for driving the quickest on the street, I am going for enjoyment, so going slower and enjoying the drive is ok with me.
Old 10-27-2019 | 11:59 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

It's like riding a bicycle. You've had manual cars in the past, it will come back quickly. The sports chono option with he auto revs will be ideal for you, and hill start will also be there.. My teen kids have driven my manual Porsches (after learning on a beater) and adapted quickly and without incident. Biggest thing is not to give too much gas when engaging first, the powerful engine can smoke the clutch.
Old 10-27-2019 | 01:50 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SockToy
So being British, my first few cars were stick, but ever since my 2009 C4S I've had dual clutch autos. Our family runaround now is an automatic Merc.

I'm thinking my next fun car will be manual, but really, I've never driven a manual gearbox at pace, nor one where I'd be afraid of damaging it or getting in the wrong rev ranges.

Any suggestions beyond 'buy an mx5 and practice' ?

If I find the right Targa I suspect I'll have to move quick - and I'd like to not break the gearbox ;p Alternative is just PDK forever... but as its not a DD (my C4S was our only car in London) I figure something more engaging and less practical is probably in order

Cheers

M
Buy a Miata and practice (US side of the pond). Seriously though, it's fantastic car to learn on along with learning all the fundamentals of making a slow car go as quickly as possible around corners. Fast cars hide driver mistakes. No cheater hill hold assist either. Or auto rev-matching.

Personally, in street driving, I double clutch my downshifts. Only on track do I just do a straight rev match and bang it down to the next gear.
Old 10-27-2019 | 02:58 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife received a graduation present in 1966 of a new MGB when she graduated from college. I met her in 1969 and she was perfect with that MT. All it takes is practice. She has driven all my Porsches perfectly from 1974 through 2015.
Old 10-27-2019 | 03:07 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

The Porsche manuals with Sport Chrono (rev-match) are a joy to drive. My C4S is manual.

I drove a manual GTS at the Barber PTX at a reasonably fast pace and had no issues whatsoever shifting.

Granted, the GTS manual I drove had so much torque that apart from the start, it was only necessary to use 3rd and 4th throughout the course (could have dropped down to 2nd in some parts). It was great.

If you want a manual and get one, you won't regret it. That being said and all things being equal, if you plan on regularly tracking the car, you will be slower in a manual.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2019 | 03:18 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

These cars are not that fragile (other than the pin that breaks off for reverse!). I wouldn't even hesitate to let my wife drive mine if she wanted to. She hasn't driven a MT more than a handful of times and that was nearly 15 years ago.
Old 10-27-2019 | 07:06 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

PCar with rev match is so simple a caveman can do it.
Old 10-27-2019 | 10:51 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Don't know the year you are shopping but the 991s have a really nice and easy clutch and gear throw. Just take it easy to start no matter the year since every make and model has its quirks.

Quick Reply: Learning to drive stick /well/