Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno, shmyno. Anyone with a tuned base car raced a stock GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019 | 12:31 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Default Dyno, shmyno. Anyone with a tuned base car raced a stock GTS?

numbers dont matter to me but for baseline.

I want to know how my innocent little narrow-body would fair against a stock GTS.

anyone seen or done this?
Old 10-23-2019 | 08:48 PM
polobai
Drifting

What does your car put down? 😜 jk-what mods do you have-Carerra T I am assuming?
Old 10-23-2019 | 10:22 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I pulled a pdk gts with giac stage 1 manual T. Its pretty much dead even. Almost completely even on the dyno also
Old 10-24-2019 | 07:16 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

5-130 I dropped a stock GTS PDK by over a car length. I did have half 100 and half 93. Soul cats and Hydra tune on manual T. I dyno about 43 more than a stock GTS on the same dyno.
The following 2 users liked this post by rosenbergendo:
SeeForce (10-24-2019), Soul Performance (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019 | 12:40 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by polobai
What does your car put down? 😜 jk-what mods do you have-Carerra T I am assuming?
C2 base, PDK, Soul Cat bypass, BMC, Cobb Stage II 93
Old 10-24-2019 | 12:59 PM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I pulled a pdk gts with giac stage 1 manual T. Its pretty much dead even. Almost completely even on the dyno also
I don't understand what you are saying? What was dead even?

Base T has 370 and base GTS has 450.

You put a tune on GTS and you say the GTS and T are the same? Actual drive? Dyno? How did you measure actual driving?
Old 10-24-2019 | 01:04 PM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by SeeForce
numbers dont matter to me but for baseline.

I want to know how my innocent little narrow-body would fair against a stock GTS.

anyone seen or done this?
It looks like your base car is heavily modified. It has the same 3.0l engine, so I would guess with all the mods it pulls better than the base GTS. But of course you can tun the base GTS as well.

Do you want to know that on paper the car is faster? Or do you want to know if all the mods make a difference? In my case I take my car to the track 2 a year. I know top speed and time I can get around the tracks. I will put a tun on the car, and if I can go faster top speed and get around the track faster the tune will be worth it, If I don't have a higher top speed or can't get around the track faster the tune is worthless.

I care about how the car performs for me.
Old 10-24-2019 | 02:46 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by good2go
It looks like your base car is heavily modified. It has the same 3.0l engine, so I would guess with all the mods it pulls better than the base GTS. But of course you can tun the base GTS as well.

Do you want to know that on paper the car is faster? Or do you want to know if all the mods make a difference? In my case I take my car to the track 2 a year. I know top speed and time I can get around the tracks. I will put a tun on the car, and if I can go faster top speed and get around the track faster the tune will be worth it, If I don't have a higher top speed or can't get around the track faster the tune is worthless.

Since you have experience on track, you'll appreciate this video. HP vs Handling vs driving line etc...
There are so many factors that go into being "fast" and the definition of fast needs to be defined.
Old 10-24-2019 | 05:29 PM
polobai
Drifting

In your case you should be able to pull on a stock GTS. Is the stage 2 OTS tune you have the revised one that "has more manners", or the original one that "was a beast"? I know on my car I had the original OTS tunes and they were crazy. I dyno'd 452 on just stage 1 OTS tune in my Carerra T. If you have the newer, more revised tune I hear that they are not as aggressive but still pretty potent-but I cant say for sure that it would be as fast as the stock GTS.

Keep in mind, you have a weight advantage of a few hundred lbs as well. The best way to find out would be to put it on the track and see what MPH you do in the 1/4 mile. Compare to the stock GTS times (they do 11.3's around 125mph I believe) and if you are trapping more MPH, then you clearly have the advantage.
Old 10-24-2019 | 11:11 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

you planning a protune w/ headers+IC?
Old 10-25-2019 | 09:51 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by good2go

If you plan to track car and have a tune, make sure you research much more. For straight line race, you want max hp and torque. For circuit racing, you want nice linear curves and a large area under the curve so you have better control for throttle modulation.
So for track, consider VF Engineering tune, or the custom cobb maps made by BBi or BGB Motorsport. BBi and BGB have pro-tune that are more suitable for track us.
Old 10-25-2019 | 12:13 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by koven
you planning a protune w/ headers+IC?
Protune for sure.

Not sure of the need for headers. Havent had an occasion where ICs would help. I havent tracked and when i do it wont be ofter.
Old 10-25-2019 | 01:19 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Protune for sure.

Not sure of the need for headers. Havent had an occasion where ICs would help. I havent tracked and when i do it wont be ofter.
Well, when is there a 'need' for anything Headers are a big power adder and improve the noise too. No clear data on the ICs however.
Old 10-25-2019 | 01:20 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Protune for sure.

makes sense, im at a similar stage as you, soul cats+bmc+stg2 but 91oct. will stick w/ PSE but i got headers comin , debating ICs, doesnt seem necessary for street and i dont track often either but could help w/ heatsoak for long canyon runs

Originally Posted by tgavem
If you plan to track car and have a tune, make sure you research much more. For straight line race, you want max hp and torque. For circuit racing, you want nice linear curves and a large area under the curve so you have better control for throttle modulation.
So for track, consider VF Engineering tune, or the custom cobb maps made by BBi or BGB Motorsport. BBi and BGB have pro-tune that are more suitable for track us.
it seems like in cobb's earlier OTS they went for max hp/tq but the latest v1.05 they dialed it down to be more linear delivery
Old 10-25-2019 | 01:21 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tgavem
The V105 Cobb tune was calibrated for road course use. I saw them testing at COTA myself. Hence why the V105 tune is also quite neutered (7-8psi less in the mid-range from what others have said) compared to the earlier maps.The new torque curve is much flatter/linear.

Quick Reply: Dyno, shmyno. Anyone with a tuned base car raced a stock GTS?