991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinion: Carrera T to a 15' GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019 | 11:03 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

That’s a tough call. The GT3 PDK is the better car, performance wise, but before the 10yr warranty is up, the value of that car is going to tank. No one will want to buy a ticking bomb. If the 991.1 GT3 models didn’t have the finger follower issues, I would say 100% go with the GT3. Save your self the hassle and look for a 991.2 GT3. I am kind of in the opposite situation as you. I currently have a 991.1 S PDK and really want to move into a manual trans. I’m looking at some used .2 GT3 models. Market isn’t good for buyers right now, so I’ll be waiting to see how next year looks. Good luck with your decision. I would keep your T and just tune it and enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
jimmymoO (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019 | 03:30 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

GT3 is such a special car. Do the due diligence on the motor life and maintenance but if you track the GT3 is hard to beat from an aural and handling experience.
I drove manual transmission cars since I was 16 years old and 12 MT Porsche cars. Now in a PDK TTS. Took a while but I now love and appreciate the performance of the PDK tranny. Car is a monster with this transmission.
It's really about how you will drive it and what you want to experience. You most likely won't keep the car 10 years so that may not matter. I say drive it again and decide for yourself. The T is a nice car but not a GT Porsche.

Last edited by Penn4S; 10-11-2019 at 04:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Penn4S:
jimmymoO (10-11-2019), NJ991 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-12-2019 | 03:02 AM
s4one
Instructor

I had a 3.4 991.1 stick previously and now with a 3.0 s pdk. To be honest, I can't stand the pdk and may trade it for a stick shift.

Had an e92 m3 before with dct as well, couldn't stand it.
Old 10-12-2019 | 10:24 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s4one
I had a 3.4 991.1 stick previously and now with a 3.0 s pdk. To be honest, I can't stand the pdk and may trade it for a stick shift.

Had an e92 m3 before with dct as well, couldn't stand it.

That’s exactly what I did. Sold my ‘14 with pdk for a T with a manual. Unless I was on the track or in the mountains, I was bored with the pdk. It is an amazing transmission and I understand why so many buy with pdk. Just not for me.
Old 10-12-2019 | 03:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Unless you are tracking, assuming you are using your 911 in a variety of situations the T will be more versatile and I personally would avoid the 991.1 GT3 for the engine issues, YMMV

I'm glad I had the opportunity to own a GT3 and won't rule owning another one down the road, but choosing between one or the other exclusively I like the more dual purpose nature of the Carrera line...I'd either stick with your T (manual) or wait and nab the right 991.2 GT3 MT if you really want to scratch the itch

If it's a +1 weekend or fun car, I'd go 991.2 GT3, if it's more of a daily driver and for anything and everything I'd stick with the T personally
The following 2 users liked this post by sampelligrino:
jimmymoO (10-13-2019), Thor's (10-16-2019)
Old 10-12-2019 | 05:52 PM
Jim55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kage65
I noticed on auto trader there are around 50 pdk .2 gt3’s for sale, and maybe 72 manuals. No idea if this is any kind of indication of whether owners like manuals or pdk better, but it did catch my attention.
This isn’t really accurate. I’ve been looking for a 991.1 or .2 manual and most the ones that say they are a manual are PDK. I guess they consider it a dual clutch manual. I would estimate that only half of them that say manual on Auto Trader or Cars.com really are manual.
Old 10-15-2019 | 06:31 PM
polobai
Drifting

To add a different perspective, I moved from a GT4 to a 911t and for me it was an awesome decision. The backseats were needed in my case as I have two small children but really its the usability on the street. For me to enjoy the GT4, I would be winding it out and putting myself and others at risk on the streets. The 911t has such a usable powerband-even more so with a tune. I didn't track the gt4 at all (but planned to-life got in the way)-so for me, the 911t is more street friendly. The other things I didn't expect but really appreciated moving to the 911t were the creature comforts such as a back up camera, updated infotainment and apple car play. I would be upset moving to a better track car, but missing these street creature comforts I have gotten used to. Hope this helps,
The following users liked this post:
Thor's (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019 | 06:41 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
To add a different perspective, I moved from a GT4 to a 911t and for me it was an awesome decision. The backseats were needed in my case as I have two small children but really its the usability on the street. For me to enjoy the GT4, I would be winding it out and putting myself and others at risk on the streets. The 911t has such a usable powerband-even more so with a tune. I didn't track the gt4 at all (but planned to-life got in the way)-so for me, the 911t is more street friendly. The other things I didn't expect but really appreciated moving to the 911t were the creature comforts such as a back up camera, updated infotainment and apple car play. I would be upset moving to a better track car, but missing these street creature comforts I have gotten used to. Hope this helps,
I would love to ask you this, since you came from a GT4. Other than to support your life’s necessities(seats for kids, stuff like that lol) and having a camera and updated PCM, take that out, which is the better car? Between the clutch feel, shifter feel and driving characteristics, which is the more fun and capable car. Would love to hear your thoughts, because I was going to suggest to the OP that he might want to consider moving from the Carrera T to a GT4. Ive driven both, and For a driver’s car, it was no contest, the GT4 was the better car all around.
Old 10-15-2019 | 07:01 PM
polobai
Drifting

I think it really depends what you are using the car for. Honestly speaking-on the street and for usability I feel the 911t is the better car as the powerband is so much fun at any rpm. I am a turbo guy at heart and love the instant torque and responsiveness of the small turbos. From what I hear and can imagine driving my gt4, on the track the gt4 is a beast and is the clear winner. For me and what I use it for on the streets, I would not go back to the gt4. The thing that the gt4 has an advantage on for the street is the manual gearbox-the 6 speed is much more crisp and feels better than the 7 speed (although some gt4's are plagued with third gear failures). The other thing is of course the suspension (no contest comparing GT suspension to sport suspension) and exotic looks (everyone who didn't know thought it was a ferrari as it was Carmine red with PCCB's). One thing that always worried me with the gt4's was the strut tower failure...I never had any issues (had strut plates) but there are plenty of people who hit a bump the wrong way with the gt4/gt3 and have had their strut towers fail. Never really saw this with 911's on softer suspension. Last but not least is ease of making power. Making power on the gt4 is expensive and not as rewarding. I had filters, cargraphic headers and a cobb protune...made roughly 20 whp over stock. On the 911t with just a cobb stage 1 OTS (no filters or exhaust mods-COMPLETELY stock), I made 93whp over stock for a fraction of the price of mods spend on the gt4. For me, I love my 911t-best move I have made so far!
Old 10-15-2019 | 07:32 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
I think it really depends what you are using the car for. Honestly speaking-on the street and for usability I feel the 911t is the better car as the powerband is so much fun at any rpm. I am a turbo guy at heart and love the instant torque and responsiveness of the small turbos. From what I hear and can imagine driving my gt4, on the track the gt4 is a beast and is the clear winner. For me and what I use it for on the streets, I would not go back to the gt4. The thing that the gt4 has an advantage on for the street is the manual gearbox-the 6 speed is much more crisp and feels better than the 7 speed (although some gt4's are plagued with third gear failures). The other thing is of course the suspension (no contest comparing GT suspension to sport suspension) and exotic looks (everyone who didn't know thought it was a ferrari as it was Carmine red with PCCB's). One thing that always worried me with the gt4's was the strut tower failure...I never had any issues (had strut plates) but there are plenty of people who hit a bump the wrong way with the gt4/gt3 and have had their strut towers fail. Never really saw this with 911's on softer suspension. Last but not least is ease of making power. Making power on the gt4 is expensive and not as rewarding. I had filters, cargraphic headers and a cobb protune...made roughly 20 whp over stock. On the 911t with just a cobb stage 1 OTS (no filters or exhaust mods-COMPLETELY stock), I made 93whp over stock for a fraction of the price of mods spend on the gt4. For me, I love my 911t-best move I have made so far!
I appreciate that honest and detailed feedback. It certainly is a matter of choice and what you like. After test driving a handful of cars, it was clear to me that I am a NA guy and prefer that over turbos. You’re right though, tuning anything with FI always yields silly power gains. Enjoy the T, it really is a good car. The OP really needs to decide if he wants to ditch turbos for a NA PDK, that’s another topic too. A GTx is not for everyone, and that’s why there are so many flavors out there.
Old 10-15-2019 | 07:37 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

The OP has already decided - see Post #20.
Old 10-16-2019 | 12:14 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJ991
I appreciate that honest and detailed feedback. It certainly is a matter of choice and what you like. After test driving a handful of cars, it was clear to me that I am a NA guy and prefer that over turbos. You’re right though, tuning anything with FI always yields silly power gains. Enjoy the T, it really is a good car. The OP really needs to decide if he wants to ditch turbos for a NA PDK, that’s another topic too. A GTx is not for everyone, and that’s why there are so many flavors out there.
Very well said and I appreciate the perspective and opinions! Thanks for an awesome discussion and to the OP-glad you are keeping the T! My two cents are to keep the T until you can get a gt3 touring 6 speed-then use it well on the track!!!

Quick Reply: Need Opinion: Carrera T to a 15' GT3