991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check on a S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019 | 08:31 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

I think you’re about in the range for a low mile example. Congrats. FWIW, even though folks say that a huge majority of people get the PDK over the manual, what I’ve found in both my local NJ 911 group meet gang of about 6 cars and a tri-state Porsche group that I am pals with who get together for work on cars days of about 15-20 cars, only 1 from each group drive a PDK/tiptronic. Everyone else has a manual. When I was searching for my car, I didn’t even consider getting it in a PDK, as I love winding through the gears myself. Enjoy your new car, and don’t worry about the resale!
Old 10-05-2019 | 08:43 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I think you’re about in the range for a low mile example. Congrats. FWIW, even though folks say that a huge majority of people get the PDK over the manual, what I’ve found in both my local NJ 911 group meet gang of about 6 cars and a tri-state Porsche group that I am pals with who get together for work on cars days of about 15-20 cars, only 1 from each group drive a PDK/tiptronic. Everyone else has a manual. When I was searching for my car, I didn’t even consider getting it in a PDK, as I love winding through the gears myself. Enjoy your new car, and don’t worry about the resale!
Originally Posted by HkPlinker
PDawg,
I bought my last Porsche for me not the next guy down the road I'm going to sell it to. Just like I did on my last three 911's I've owned. I have never had a problem selling any one of them. In fact, I had several people in line for my 930. I was patient and picky and bought the car I wanted just for me, every time. I chose the year model, the color, the options and condition I wanted. Period. There are hundreds, if not thousands of Porsches out there to choose from. Be picky, you can afford it. Buy the one you want.
So, clear your head and pull the trigger on the car you want. Who cares if it's 2,500 too much the day you buy it. You'll spend that in your first year to make it more "yours".
Thanks for the kind words guys, they're helpful and give me a better feeling about this. This is a big purchase for me and owning a nice Porsche is checking off a bucket list item for me. I know to some its just a car but I have been waiting and saving for a long time to get to this point. I wasn't this nervous when I was getting married. My wife has been great about all of this and is looking forward to the new addition. She has told me she would be worried if I wasn't nervous about a large purchase. She's nervous about learning to drive a manual again.

The car goes in for a PPI Monday morning. Gets a PPI and a bore scope. Because I'm confident enough in the car, I'm paying extra for the scope and having the plugs changed at the same time. That will knock a bit off the 40k maintenance that's due anyways. The rest will get completed at Porsche Waukesha in Wisconsin when it arrives.

If its due for brakes and other wear items, is it prudent to insist for a price reduction? I'm already overlooking a bit because I like the car. I don't believe the clutch can be inspected, if the brakes are worn, can one assume the clutch has a lot of wear also? I think the car may see a bit of bumper to bumper traffic in Houston.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (10-06-2019)
Old 10-05-2019 | 08:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Why does a car with 17,000 miles already need brakes?

I'm doing my brakes in two weeks and I have almost 73,000 miles on them.
Old 10-05-2019 | 08:57 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why does a car with 17,000 miles already need brakes?

I'm doing my brakes in two weeks and I have almost 73,000 miles on them.
I'm not saying it does, it goes for a PPI in two days to check all these things. I'm probably being a bit premature asking this.
Old 10-05-2019 | 09:39 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Porsche of Waukesha is very professional. Ask them about your other concerns. They won't BS you.
Old 10-06-2019 | 12:28 AM
Tbounds
Racer

If it’s cpo it should have 40,000 mile service and the 7 year service done before purchase . This includes everything that is not within specs as well as plugs and belt, brake flush and clutch flush
Old 10-06-2019 | 01:41 AM
Contadino
Instructor

I bought my C2S cab 3 years ago with PDK so my wife could drive it. She has driven it only once during that time.
Old 10-06-2019 | 06:40 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tbounds
If it’s cpo it should have 40,000 mile service and the 7 year service done before purchase . This includes everything that is not within specs as well as plugs and belt, brake flush and clutch flush
Private sale
Old 10-09-2019 | 09:34 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Default NO SALE

I had the PPI performed on Monday and it came back mixed. They found the engine and transmission working perfectly fine as they should be (17,000 miles). They did find the brakes at 50% and a chip in the windshield. The front bumper is worse than I thought and its been more than a year since its last maintenance. Its due for its 40K and the battery is shot. They found a bad scuff on a rear wheel and last but not least, they found evidence of paintwork on the rear quarter. The inspector (who was great) said it was easy to see with a trained eye. A slight distortion in the paint and fisheyes. Confirmed with a paint meter.

I brought all of this up with the seller and itemized all of it combined with the over revs. He replied with its mostly cosmetic and the drivetrain is solid. I pointed out typically you want to catch up on the maintenance and use it as a selling point. Nobody wants to buy anything and then spend a bunch just to get it current unless the price reflects it. I included the rear quarter as an issue, especially as I was initially told the car was pristine with the exception of some chips in the bumper.

I was told the price is firm no matter the PPI revelations, it's just cosmetic. Didn't even offer a new battery. It's too bad, the car had some great options, I was still interested if the price would reflect the shortcomings. Sorry but rear quarter paint work devalues a Toyota, these cars are a different class. He'll sell it to someone, just not me. I wish him luck.

At this point, I'm still in the market for a nice well spec'd low mileage Cab!
Old 10-10-2019 | 12:57 AM
shake1
Racer

Looks like you dodged a bullet. Hiding a repainted panel is a huge red flag and should have been revealed earlier on. Good luck on the search, I'm sure you'll find a better one
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (11-28-2019)
Old 10-10-2019 | 06:59 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

You’re better off it if had bodywork done. Who knows what else he didn’t tell you about. Besides, now you can look for something in a more exciting color.
Old 10-10-2019 | 07:15 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Good decision
Old 10-10-2019 | 08:45 AM
garfunkle
Banned

I think 70-75K is the ballpark for that car with those miles. This is based on a quick glance at CarGurus.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true
Old 10-10-2019 | 08:52 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
DO NOT listen the those that say manuals do not sell, PDKs are easier, yada, yada, yada. I would not have a P-car now if it did not have a manual and there are enough buyers out there that want them, now and when you are ready to sell. I have read countless threads on this forum about people looking for manuals and not being able to find them, Cabs, included. I was going to get a manual Cab until I drove the Targa. In regards to the price, if you like the car and it is within your budget just buy it and don't worry about a few grand.
Yup.

Manuls demand a premium on the second hand market. My hypothesis is because this is where enthusiasts shop who want the manual.
Old 10-10-2019 | 12:22 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I think 70-75K is the ballpark for that car with those miles. This is based on a quick glance at CarGurus.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true
Agreed, that is a good price for that car IF it didn't have paint work on the rear quarter, didn't have the finish coming off a wheel, was up to date on its maintenance, and only had a couple chips on the front bumper. Also needed a battery to the point they had to jump the car to pull the DMS. There was other ticky tack stuff that wasn't a big deal that would be easy to over look.

If none of these issues existed, I would have gladly paid his asking price.

Quick Reply: Price check on a S Cab