Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem installing RS skirts on .2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019 | 12:18 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Default Problem installing RS skirts on .2 GTS

I just received and started installing the RS side skirts on my .2 GTS and really hoping someone can help me out. So I was able to get them on but the last 3 clips simply won’t clip in leaving quite a large gap. I’m aware that there may be a
3-4mm gap as reported by others but mine is much more than that. I feel if I can get the clip to lock in the skirts will sit flush enough. Can anyone help me out with this please. I attached a couple pics for you to see the gap.

Old 09-19-2019 | 12:24 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Subscribed, Sorry I can't help but this would be a good addition to my own car!
Old 09-19-2019 | 12:58 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

I believe the solution here as some have mentioned is the gentle application of a heat gun to mold the plastic. Do it with the skirt off the car of course.
Old 09-19-2019 | 03:48 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Black drywall screws.... J/k.

I've never done this install myself and I dont know what's back there. Molding with a heat gun might work. I'd also check to see if double sided tape would work.
Old 09-19-2019 | 07:04 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Did you attach all clips to the car and the problem you are having is that you can't line up the last 3 clips with your side rail for install?
I've done 2 installs now on my TTS but they line up and fit is great.
Did you try starting to install from the opposite end to see if it is easier to end toward the front?
Just finished mine yesterday. Had them painted gloss black to match my wheels. Going for new PPF Friday.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2019 | 07:11 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

We must have received the RS skirts at the same time because I am trying to install mine and have exactly the same issue.. The problem is that the last 3 pins have no support underneath it - unlike the other pins which have a spline running underneath it - so it is impossible to push the pins hard enough to click in. I also think that the rear edge of the skirt, towards the rear wheel, is a tad too high, which helps to prevent the pins to click in. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to install - and broke a lot of pins in the process. I have some ideas and will post if successful.
Old 09-19-2019 | 10:05 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
We must have received the RS skirts at the same time because I am trying to install mine and have exactly the same issue.. The problem is that the last 3 pins have no support underneath it - unlike the other pins which have a spline running underneath it - so it is impossible to push the pins hard enough to click in. I also think that the rear edge of the skirt, towards the rear wheel, is a tad too high, which helps to prevent the pins to click in. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to install - and broke a lot of pins in the process. I have some ideas and will post if successful.
That is exactly the problem i'm having. The last 3 clips do line up but just aren't clicking in for the exact same reason you said. I'm gonna try to start installing from the rear and working my way to the front and see how that works or I may try and shove something underneath the rear of the skirt to provide more support and see if that works. The last resort will be to go to a body shop and have them help me figure this out. I would love for the fitment to be 100% without the 3-4mm gap most end up with.
Old 09-19-2019 | 11:31 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Default SOLVED!

eysa - I solved it and was able to get the skirt on in about 10 seconds. I will post pics when I do the other side, but was so excited I got skirt on I wanted to post and save you a trip to the shop.

You have to reverse engineer it. Instead of trying to think of a way to push pins in with little to no support, take off the pins from the skirt and put the last 3 in the rail holes. Then push the skirt into the pin slots. Start from the back. Once you get the rear skirt in, the rest is easy.

I already tried using a paint mix stick in the skirt under the pins for pushing support - that did not work.

Was also thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of the skirt and then using a screwdriver to push the pins in - then cover up the holes with caulk (it would be on the bottom, so no one would see it anyway). Luckily, putting the pins in the rail and then sliding the skirt into the pin slots worked.

Let me know if you have any issues.
The following users liked this post:
MJG911 (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019 | 12:19 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
eysa - I solved it and was able to get the skirt on in about 10 seconds. I will post pics when I do the other side, but was so excited I got skirt on I wanted to post and save you a trip to the shop.

You have to reverse engineer it. Instead of trying to think of a way to push pins in with little to no support, take off the pins from the skirt and put the last 3 in the rail holes. Then push the skirt into the pin slots. Start from the back. Once you get the rear skirt in, the rest is easy.

I already tried using a paint mix stick in the skirt under the pins for pushing support - that did not work.

Was also thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of the skirt and then using a screwdriver to push the pins in - then cover up the holes with caulk (it would be on the bottom, so no one would see it anyway). Luckily, putting the pins in the rail and then sliding the skirt into the pin slots worked.

Let me know if you have any issues.
I gave it a try and while pulling the rear of the skirt to get the pins out the entire skirt slid out from all the pins. I put in the last three pins and now just need to slide the skirt in to all the pins which is a bit difficult to do without an extra pair of hands. I will do it later when my sons is home to help. I can't see it not working. I can tell you that even though it wasn't completely installed it looked so much better then the side with the factory skirt. Can't wait to get them both in properly. Thanks for the help and for saving me the headache of trying to figure it out.
Old 09-19-2019 | 12:59 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eysa
I gave it a try and while pulling the rear of the skirt to get the pins out the entire skirt slid out from all the pins. I put in the last three pins and now just need to slide the skirt in to all the pins which is a bit difficult to do without an extra pair of hands. I will do it later when my sons is home to help. I can't see it not working. I can tell you that even though it wasn't completely installed it looked so much better then the side with the factory skirt. Can't wait to get them both in properly. Thanks for the help and for saving me the headache of trying to figure it out.

Yeah, this simple mod is turning out to be a pita, but I think worth it in the end. Frustrating as I have taken the skirt on and off about 5 times and broken about 7 pins. Also note that the rear screws do not line up, at least on my car as I have a 2015.1 GTS. Not a big deal, just an fyi.
Old 09-19-2019 | 01:42 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Just clarifying everyone here is talking about the 991.2 RS side skirt and not the .1 which is a little less aggressive?
Old 09-19-2019 | 02:20 PM
97supratt
Burning Brakes

Any pics of the end result? I'd love to see what it looks like!!!
Old 09-19-2019 | 03:08 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Just clarifying everyone here is talking about the 991.2 RS side skirt and not the .1 which is a little less aggressive?

Yes
Old 09-19-2019 | 03:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Any pics of the end result? I'd love to see what it looks like!!!

I don't have pics of my install yet, but check out this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1159...on-my-gts.html
Old 09-19-2019 | 03:17 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Mine are the .2 version and they slide right in on the TTS. Must be the difference in the fit to the GTS.

Quick Reply: Problem installing RS skirts on .2 GTS