Sponsored by:

Newbie About to Buy 2013 Base Model, Advice Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019 | 02:48 PM
Sundog1983
7th Gear

Default Newbie About to Buy 2013 Base Model, Advice Appreciated

Hi all -

After driving a z4 for 10 years & 190K miles, I have decided to finally go for it and buy a used 991 from a dealership. I have some concerns / questions, so would greatly appreciate some advice:
  1. Car is a base 2013 w/ very low miles (15K) + manual transmission (I only wanted a manual out of personal preference / not really about speed) priced at $61.5K
  2. Carfax is clean w/ 2 owners, but there is a big gap in service history for about 5 years. I asked dealer about this, they didn't answer directly just said some independent shops don't report to carfax and that you can always do PPI
  3. Model is base / not S, KBB is showing right around asking price w/ all the features.

Some questions:
  1. Is the Carfax report w/ missing service history a red flag?
  2. I am indeed planning to have a mechanic do a PPI, any recommendations on this?
  3. They are offering warranties around 5K, is this something good to get on a 911?
  4. Any advice on buying from a dealer? (pricing / things to ask / ...) especially given details above on asking price / kbb value?
  5. I do have a 2 year old child / have another sedan to take her places, but if needed, is a booster/rear seat practical in a 911?

Thanks!!!

Old 09-18-2019 | 02:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear you are considering a 911! I would not worry about the lack of service history since odds are it was done - most people do not neglect these cars and if it looks like it was taken care of well that should help ease your mind, and the PPI will also help. Find a local Indy shop and they should do a PPI for $200-300. In regards to the warranty check with Fidelity and see what they charge for it and do not buy from the dealer until you do so. You can search this forum for advice but Michael Jordon at Mossy Motors can give you quotes. And many here use boosters in these cars so no worries about that. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019 | 02:58 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

I never took my 997 to a dealer, I did all the maintenance and repair myself. Same goes with my 991...
duxsi (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019 | 02:59 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Get a PPI. I personally would self-insure over getting a warranty but you have to do what you feel is best for you. (On the plus side, you won't have to worry about a possible PDK failure.)

Ask local PCA members of the good Porsche independents in your neck of the woods for recommendations for a good shop to do a PPI.

Booster seats will fit in the back of the 911 but I probably wouldn't put a 2 year old in a front facing booster yet. In another year or two, perhaps. I started taking my kids when they were 4-5 years old in the back seats of Porsche 911s. The youngest is now 8 and still uses a small booster seat in the back (my other two have outgrown booster seats). I pick them up from school in it all the time!
Old 09-18-2019 | 03:07 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

First, no two Porsches are alike. Did the dealer give you the options list? If not, check VIN number in a website like www.vinanalytics.com (it may be there or not). Just educate yourself on what options are desirable or not
We have no idea where you are, so how can we tell you where to go for a PPI
We have no idea what kind of extended warranty your dealer is offering. Just do note that extended warranty markups are high and prices are dependent on mileage. Do a search on this forum for Fidelity warranties so that you can get educated and find leads for lower priced options
Old 09-18-2019 | 03:12 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Welcome to the club, just know that it becomes an addiction . The warranty question is a good one, as these cars are typically bullet proof. The guidance on self insuring is solid, and something that I typically do. When I bought my 2015 991 GTS, the dealer asked if I wanted full warranty coverage for 5 years for $3100. I mentally said no in my head, but my intuition had me contemplating it ... and I said YES. I just had an issue that cost $3100 - which I had to pay $100 deductible. I believe that I am an anomaly and I'm not suggesting you get a warranty because of this, I'm just sharing my story.

Cheers,

Den
Old 09-18-2019 | 03:23 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

As stated above, missing services on Carfax mean very little, especially with only 15k.
My dealership was horrible when it came to servicing my car, so I ended up at a reputable, high-end Indy.

Have them do a brake flush and oil change as part of the deal.
Check for dried seals on the frunk and rear engine cover struts. If they don't stay open, they're shot.
Check if the Change over valves were changed. Some earlier 991 has this done by PCNA as a recall.

Not sure what other options the car has, but there has to be some wiggle room for a 2013 at $61.5k
Look around and don't be hesitant to buy something in another state. Lots of members will be happy to go and kick some tires on your behalf.
Best of luck..
Old 09-18-2019 | 03:31 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sundog1983
  1. Is the Carfax report w/ missing service history a red flag?
  2. I am indeed planning to have a mechanic do a PPI, any recommendations on this?
  3. They are offering warranties around 5K, is this something good to get on a 911?
  4. Any advice on buying from a dealer? (pricing / things to ask / ...) especially given details above on asking price / kbb value?
  5. I do have a 2 year old child / have another sedan to take her places, but if needed, is a booster/rear seat practical in a 911?
1) Carfax is largely BS. Sure occasionally it will reveal something big, but more often than not it is missing a ton of info or even has incorrect info.
2) Sure, why not. While at it do your own PPI: Test drive, see if heat and AC works (COV), sports mode works (also COV - they're failing vacuum operated valves), listen for a squeak from behind the dash (gas tank straps), check the door panel tops and see if they are deforming by the windows...
3) Up to you. That is a chunk of change on a low mileage car. Personally I might "self insure" and stick that $5K in a savings account but then again, a set of door panels is $3000, a tranny is $15K, an engine 20K. Check coverage, exclusions, deductibles, and decide... I bought a 991 because the motor is vice-free (vs older types with IMS RMS issues). I also bough ta base with practically no options on purpose to minimize warranty issues.
4) Price should be around $50K IMO, unless loaded to the sunroof with options... Otherwise you can buy mine (kidding, not for sale but 61K is a joke for a base car that is now almost 8 years old), buy private for less. Dealer is Ok if they offer CPO but otherwise more expensive.
5) absolutely... The porsche child seat also splits and works as a booster later. Lots more room in back - my 12y old (big kid) is still Ok back there.
Old 09-18-2019 | 06:52 PM
Sundog1983
7th Gear

Thank you all for such wonderful and expedient feedback. This community is so helpful!

@visitador vinanalytics worked! Here are the details for options:

BASE911 Carrera Cabriolet
1VCabriolet Roof in Black
276Automatically dimming mirrors
342Seat heating (front)
42720-inch Carrera Classic wheel
446Wheel caps color Porsche crest
541Seat ventilation (front)
636ParkAssist (front and rear)
658Power Steering Plus
686SiriusXM(R) Sat Radio Tuner
748Electric folding ext. mirrors
840SportDesign steering wheel
AGBlack standard interior

I'm in the bay area / car is here in California. Perhaps the only remaining followup question I have is in regards to the price given the model year / miles / options above. @Greg D. mentioned 50K / almost 8 years old, but just want to mention it is a 2013 model. Is this taking into account calendar vs model year? Anyways I am seeing on lots of used car websites that cars w/ similar stats are priced in the same range. Should I really try to get $50K? Dealer seemed to indicate price was very fixed / lots of interest / will sell fast /etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2019 | 06:58 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes I also have a 2013 - build date is sometime 2012, we're end of 2019 hence my "almost 8 y old" comment, 7 and change... Mine also has low mileage, but it's a coupe.
I want to say I paid $60K+tax 3 years ago. So 61K today seems high to me, you have more options but not the sports exhaust or PASM which everyone seems to want.
It seems very high to me but I could be off because I missed the Cabrio part... No idea if cabs are more or less than coupes in the used market, but still seems high regardless. Others will contribute and shoot me down for sure.
Old 09-18-2019 | 07:22 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Fun car. Is it a Porsche dealer and if so is it CPO?

DME report is important for a manual car so definitely get that and paint meter readings for the car. Beyond that not sure how much else a PPI is going to show.

Enjoy it!
Old 09-18-2019 | 07:40 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Fun car. Is it a Porsche dealer and if so is it CPO?

Enjoy it!
I agree. A base manual without any of the sports options should be a fun car. My gut reaction is that $60K may be a bit high given the lack of service history (and also, Cabs are less desirable than coupes, at least in this forum). Usually in a situation of a low mileage car, a good owner should have a record of servicing the car according to years (and not mileage). Generally, Porsche cars have three level services (oil change, intermediate, major). The car's computer should tell you when is the next time for all three services. You should check that out.

Since it seems you are in the Bay Area, there are tons of independent shops that can do a PPI for it
Old 09-18-2019 | 08:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sundog1983
Thank you all for such wonderful and expedient feedback. This community is so helpful!

@visitador vinanalytics worked! Here are the details for options:

BASE911 Carrera Cabriolet
1VCabriolet Roof in Black
276Automatically dimming mirrors
342Seat heating (front)
42720-inch Carrera Classic wheel
446Wheel caps color Porsche crest
541Seat ventilation (front)
636ParkAssist (front and rear)
658Power Steering Plus
686SiriusXM(R) Sat Radio Tuner
748Electric folding ext. mirrors
840SportDesign steering wheel
AGBlack standard interior

I'm in the bay area / car is here in California. Perhaps the only remaining followup question I have is in regards to the price given the model year / miles / options above. @Greg D. mentioned 50K / almost 8 years old, but just want to mention it is a 2013 model. Is this taking into account calendar vs model year? Anyways I am seeing on lots of used car websites that cars w/ similar stats are priced in the same range. Should I really try to get $50K? Dealer seemed to indicate price was very fixed / lots of interest / will sell fast /etc.

Thanks!
I did not notice it is a Cab, which is a must where you live (anywhere IMO actually) or a Targa, unless you plan to track the car a lot I guess. My only advice is don't lose the car over a few grand! There have been a lot of people here that dilly-dally and find out it sold when they were negotiating. If the car is in the ballpark of what they are selling for, which I think it is, you can afford it and YOU like it make them an offer of $55k and see what they say; however, if you have looked for a while and feel it is worth the money to YOU offer them a little more and they should take it. Or ask for the extended warranty with a few grand off. Good luck and get to work!
991.1GTS (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019 | 10:06 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Don’t think you’ll get a 2013 with 15k miles for $50k. I think 55-58 range.
maschinetheist (08-31-2020)
Old 09-18-2019 | 10:06 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Also I’d try to get a CPO even if it’s higher mileage.

Quick Reply: Newbie About to Buy 2013 Base Model, Advice Appreciated