Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie About to Buy 2013 Base Model, Advice Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019 | 06:28 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sundog1983
Thanks again for all the feedback. One final thought -- w/ tax + fees + warranty, seems like it could get above 70K. For a 2013 I think this is too high based on the feedback here / discussions w/ others and I could perhaps spend 10K more to get a newer car.. Another issue I have is that current 911 leases are going for 36 months w/ residual @ 60%. Original MSRP for this vehicle was 105K so by this argument isn't it priced too high being 7 years old (~60% = residual on 3 year lease)? I'm thinking of asking for 60-65K for everything inclusive (tax = 7.5% in CA /title/registration + 5 yr warranty). They were offering 5 yr warranty for 5K. Just want to make sure deal is reasonable before committing..

Thanks!
Two ways to look at that. 991.1's are selling so high (still) because they're highly desirable being the last of/best of the N/A Carreras. On a technical scale, next to a 4 year newer 911, it may seem like a bad value, much in the same way a 993 or 997.2 seems like a bad value. Yet on a more natural scale, the reason why they still sell so close to much newer models is because they offer something the market desires, which bodes well for future resale as well (current performance is an indicator of which cars will be desirable in the future when these are all "classics" in a modern sense). Hence how that car sold so quickly, likely very close to asking price, despite being a low optioned convertible (worst for resale usually).

No worries, though, I went through this a bunch of times when I was shopping for my 911 (got a base 2012.5) in 2017. I tried to negotiate or didn't jump on deals that I thought were too high, and those cars sold instantly from under me. When I found this one, I literally flew across the entire country to buy it, and couldn't be happier. When you find a good 991.1 that is desirable to you, jump on it as if you don't, someone else will. Good thing is these cars sold plentifully when new, so great options will keep popping up.
The following 2 users liked this post by K-A:
FlatsixS (09-25-2019), Rich_Jenkins (09-21-2019)
Old 09-22-2019 | 02:11 AM
SpartanSD
Advanced

+1 on that, there are lots of know-it-alls here that will tell you a car is overpriced, but if you find what you want and the price is line - buy it or someone else will.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (08-31-2020)
Old 09-22-2019 | 03:09 AM
Mojo.K
Instructor

The missing service history is a big deal. At 6 years old, the 40k service needs to have been done. Regardless if it reaches 40k or not.

How do you verify spark plugs have been replaced or not? 1 year old plug may not look that much different than a 5 year old plug. Same with drive belt, it may look visually new but could also be original one.
Old 09-22-2019 | 05:45 PM
SpeedZ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
The missing service history is a big deal. At 6 years old, the 40k service needs to have been done. Regardless if it reaches 40k or not.

How do you verify spark plugs have been replaced or not? 1 year old plug may not look that much different than a 5 year old plug. Same with drive belt, it may look visually new but could also be original one.
I did my 40k service at 32k miles, the spark plugs that we took out looked great and clean still!

Didnt change the drive belt though since that looked fine.
Old 09-22-2019 | 07:23 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedZ
I did my 40k service at 32k miles, the spark plugs that we took out looked great and clean still!

Didnt change the drive belt though since that looked fine.
That’s my point. The problem with saying “looks fine” is that those plugs/belt could will be 12 years old at the next required service interval! (Assuming you don’t hit another 40k miles earlier which is likely for those buying low mileage cars)

Quick Reply: Newbie About to Buy 2013 Base Model, Advice Appreciated