Sponsored by:

Turbo Upgrade for 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:21 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
+1. Been waiting for his results for several months. Coming up on a year now.
I have no doubt that larger (appropriately sized turbos for your goals) will make a HUGE difference. I suspect for now I would go no further than a tune on my GTS, and if I want more power than it could make (with headers/HFC/intercoolers) than I would just get a different car.

I have upgraded the turbos on my 93 RX-7 (GT35) and my 04 STi. Both with nice results. Drive like stock until you put the go fast pedal down. Issue is neither car has traction control/stability control. I daily drive my 911.2 GTS but I still love driving my other cars which are truly engaging.

Both have worse turbo lag down low, but are significantly faster once spooled. The GT35 spools instantly, like the 911 GTS, my STi (equivalent to a 20g) doesn't make full boost until 3700 which is a 1000 rpm higher than the stock VF39 turbo.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
I have no doubt that larger (appropriately sized turbos for your goals) will make a HUGE difference. I suspect for now I would go no further than a tune on my GTS, and if I want more power than it could make (with headers/HFC/intercoolers) than I would just get a different car.

I have upgraded the turbos on my 93 RX-7 (GT35) and my 04 STi. Both with nice results. Drive like stock until you put the go fast pedal down. Issue is neither car has traction control/stability control. I daily drive my 911.2 GTS but I still love driving my other cars which are truly engaging.

Both have worse turbo lag down low, but are significantly faster once spooled. The GT35 spools instantly, like the 911 GTS, my STi (equivalent to a 20g) doesn't make full boost until 3700 which is a 1000 rpm higher than the stock VF39 turbo.
I'm totally with you.. My GTS stunned a lot of people.. If I wanted more, I'd go TTS which is what TXGold did after realizing aftermarket turbos was not worth it and a big waste of time/money.

The only thing that was able to beat me was an 8xx awhp EVO VII. He had to nail every single shift to stay ahead and those short gears were not friendly. PDK bridges the shift gap nicely vs big turbo cars... That huge wave torque in BT cars is insane and simulates roller coaster like G forces... I'd pay to ride in your RX-7.

As for cosmo, no doubt his car is fast but he told me thru PM he would have dragy results... Waiting... I want to see and be truly amazed, not compare and hope I'm better.
The following users liked this post:
Mrlownloud (12-14-2020)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:35 PM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

It's nice being the only one and Hydra has far exceeded R&D on this setup.. So many haters that's why I have no intention to share anything....
Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmo1
It's nice being the only one and Hydra has far exceeded R&D on this setup.. So many haters that's why I have no intention to share anything....
Not all haters out here.

Genuinely curious, and glad that people are wishing to push the limits (and their wallets). Hope you come around and share the knowledge and more importantly the experience.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:51 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts

Not a hater, likewise curious. With that being said, I’m additionally curious as to why car forum comments are impacting you emotionally to the point you can’t post data?

I’m sure you’d agree that this logic is either really odd... or the person boasting actually doesn’t have any shizz to show... what say you?

If comments do have such an effect on you, I do apologize for my remarks, and empathize with your hesitation to share.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:51 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

No offense, but the way youre going about it makes me steer clear of the ones you keep promoting.. I don't get your point, you're pushing to go with x person yet have nothing to back it up. Why? It's a forum and we are all sharing knowledge. If it's as good as you say then post up some data. If there's issues and you're afraid to be in the "I told you so" I'd be willing to bet that most will only offer advise on how to improve your results/gains.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Bottom line is don't go big turbo because you're going to have issues tuning and there's not much past tuned GTS turbos you can go without being the guinea pig. It's not cost effective at that point. The parts are out there, but not the data. Frankly, I'm not too convinced. If anything, you find aftermarket turbos for cheaper than X51 turbos, go for that with a conservative tune.. Other than that, might as well go TTS...

Who knows the reasons behind cosmos behavior but for those who've been here long enough know that there were 3 or 4 of these aftermarket turbo guys going at it with insane flaming, threats, and general bashing/trolling. It spread to multiple forums. You couldn't talk 991.2 tuning without some sort of argument. After a long period of time, the only thing we see from cosmo is "my car makes 550tq at 3K rpm" and a video beating a 458.... Well cosmo, fairly certain my car made the same torque or possibly more depending on the dyno @ 3k RPM.. I have videos easily gapping a Huracan... So by that logic, I'm sure my stock turbo tuned GTS a hair slower, equal to, or a hair faster than your car.. Who knows? Post the dragy results instead of Hydra shills... Which leads to my next question.. Why does everyone who has their car tuned by Hydra drop the exact same post and leave the thread? Multiple people have done this.

"Blah blah, Hydra is the best. Cobb sucks. Go with hydra. You can see the gains.." *Inserts random dynojet graph*.. Leave thread for good.

Cosmo, we've had a hilarious PM transcript. You thought I was someone else you dislike.. That got cleared up. I tried being your pal and keeping it cool with you. You're refusing and keeping this animosity alive. Whatever, I don't care and I'm not mad... My car is stock and I'm moving along.. I think you owe it to this forum to share your data and results. You've taken from rennlist, time to give back. These are cool cars and cool people.
LargePuppy (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 07:57 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Just an FYI and we're always looking for additional feedback, but as we head into fall and finish up some projects we do have turbo kits on the horizon. These are going to be more along the lines of some of the higher end, or performance level, kits out there. For those looking at +600whp. The factory style 'bolt-in' (Modified OEM) turbos tend to have performance inefficiencies when pushed so far. So our kits will utilize Garrett turbos, v-band turbine housings, compressor surge ports, and our usual bag of tricks

If anyone has interest as an early adopter/tester, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.
LargePuppy (09-20-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 02:36 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok. So, is it accurate to say that if one were to install GTS turbos, the cobb gts tune would be all that is needed?

Also, what is the least expensive way to purchase the GTS turbos?

Last edited by SeeForce; 09-21-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by SeeForce
Ok. So, is it accurate to say that if one were to install GTS turbos, the cobb gts tune would be all that is needed?

Also, what is the least expensive way to purchase the GTS turbos?
Used take offs if you can find them.

Some time ago I found the OEM supplier for the 3.0 turbos.. I forgot the name. A set of "S" turbos were going for a little over 2K.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:48 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 302 Posts

Bottom line is don't go big turbo because you're going to have issues tuning and there's not much past tuned GTS turbos you can go without being the guinea pig. It's not cost effective at that point. The parts are out there, but not the data. Frankly, I'm not too convinced. If anything, you find aftermarket turbos for cheaper than X51 turbos, go for that with a conservative tune.. Other than that, might as well go TTS...

Who knows the reasons behind cosmos behavior but for those who've been here long enough know that there were 3 or 4 of these aftermarket turbo guys going at it with insane flaming, threats, and general bashing/trolling. It spread to multiple forums. You couldn't talk 991.2 tuning without some sort of argument. After a long period of time, the only thing we see from cosmo is "my car makes 550tq at 3K rpm" and a video beating a 458.... Well cosmo, fairly certain my car made the same torque or possibly more depending on the dyno @ 3k RPM.. I have videos easily gapping a Huracan... So by that logic, I'm sure my stock turbo tuned GTS a hair slower, equal to, or a hair faster than your car.. Who knows? Post the dragy results instead of Hydra shills... Which leads to my next question.. Why does everyone who has their car tuned by Hydra drop the exact same post and leave the thread? Multiple people have done this.

"Blah blah, Hydra is the best. Cobb sucks. Go with hydra. You can see the gains.." *Inserts random dynojet graph*.. Leave thread for good.

Cosmo, we've had a hilarious PM transcript. You thought I was someone else you dislike.. That got cleared up. I tried being your pal and keeping it cool with you. You're refusing and keeping this animosity alive. Whatever, I don't care and I'm not mad... My car is stock and I'm moving along.. I think you owe it to this forum to share your data and results. You've taken from rennlist, time to give back. These are cool cars and cool people.
How bout this! If ur local to palm beach I’d be happy to show you how fake my vaporware Hydra T is.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
How bout this! If ur local to palm beach I’d be happy to show you how fake my vaporware Hydra T is.
Who said fake? This is the first post I've seen from you that doesn't plop a dynojet dyno saying "look at the gains, hydra is the best!"

*Leave's thread.

You know I'm not local to palm beach. Otherwise my crappy cobb car and software would have left your Hydra T trailing in the dust. Lets see some REAL results.. Wait, we never seen real results from Hydra tuned cars. Just shill posts.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:31 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Used take offs if you can find them.

Some time ago I found the OEM supplier for the 3.0 turbos.. I forgot the name. A set of "S" turbos were going for a little over 2K.
Literally no idea where to start looking for used take-offs.

Knowing the OEM supplier would be AMAZING.

also no clue how to locate.

Yall help me locate and Ill be your huckleberry!
Old 09-21-2019, 05:50 PM
3DMetal
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
Literally no idea where to start looking for used take-offs.

Knowing the OEM supplier would be AMAZING.

also no clue how to locate.

Yall help me locate and Ill be your huckleberry!

The OEM Supplier is BorgWarner. They are not available directly from BW, possibly within the next year they will sell them to distributors.
Cheapest source for oem C, S, and GTS are used take offs of unknown history.

TiAL has them on stock, on the shelf, and cost less / larger / more power.. Available through Rennlist Vendors.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:06 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by 3DMetal
The OEM Supplier is BorgWarner. They are not available directly from BW, possibly within the next year they will sell them to distributors.
Cheapest source for oem C, S, and GTS are used take offs of unknown history.

TiAL has them on stock, on the shelf, and cost less / larger / more power.. Available through Rennlist Vendors.
I dont love the idea of sending my turbos away. I think id prefer to replace them with others so I can return to stock.

Last edited by SeeForce; 09-22-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade for 991.2