Sponsored by:

Former RS owner's first 991.2 GTS Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
Very Detailed. It's crazy to think that with a proper/track focused brake and tire these can keep up if not outperform a GT3 variant. I wonder if you tune/add some downpipes, in addition to brakes and tires, to bump that TQ up so its happy all the way to redline, how much time youd shave off. Great stuff!
My recommendation for 99% of people would be Pads, Brake Fluid, Alignment, Cup II's & Tune, I am confident assuming the driver has the skill a GTS C2 will run around the GT3's.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:14 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Former RS owner's first 991.2 GTS Track Day
Great post...

I'd love to see a follow up report with some track-day pads and GT3-equiv. tires on the GTS. And maybe a DSC-sport controller which might further improve track feel with no negative impact to daily-driver use?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:30 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Great post...

I'd love to see a follow up report with some track-day pads and GT3-equiv. tires on the GTS. And maybe a DSC-sport controller which might further improve track feel with no negative impact to daily-driver use?
I will have a set of Tractive Dampers, DSC & RS-29 pads in next week if all the parts arrive in time! I hope it is smooth, quiet..... as I generally put 10K or more miles a year with a few DE's scattered. The car has to be a GT car first and track car maybe 4th or 5th.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:44 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

It is threads like these that have really turned up the gain on my search for the right CPO 991.2! ...and I think I have found one (pending due diligence).
Old 09-18-2019, 01:45 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 373 Posts

dsddcd: I'm in a similar boat. GTS is my DD and I won't go down the slippery slope of adding performance on track at the expense of street civility. I honestly believe that with brakes, brake cooling, tires and possibly a 3rd radiator, the car would be capable of pretty incredible things. I still have to balance that and the cost with maybe tracking a few times a year and ROI. I spend more time on my other main hobby so 4th/5th priority for track performance is about where I sit

Please post up your results after you get everything in. I suspect the car will be fantastic.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:47 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
It is threads like these that have really turned up the gain on my search for the right CPO 991.2! ...and I think I have found one (pending due diligence).
Go for it! Having owned a decent amount of Pcars, I think the GTS is a real sweet spot for a street focused car that can do occasional track days. The torque around town is awesome.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Chris

same boat as you but I came from a 996GT3 and decided on a T. I also came to realize that OEM tires and brake pads are not up to track use.
The M4S will not hold up on the track, the cup 2 will do better on the track, However, after 1-2 track days, neither tires will not be suitable for street driving.

Therefore, The best option is to have two sets and swap tires and pads prior to track day and keep the 4S and OEM pads in good condition for DD.

I changed the caliper bolts to stud kit and Spiegler 6 piece set stainless brake lines and with brake line stud kit. This does not affect DD drive ability but makes pad change easier. Also get the DSC box for you suspension, improves DD dynamics and track use with OEM coil overs.

Last edited by tgavem; 09-18-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:10 AM
calijax
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Great read, thanks for sharing! Hopefully get to see your car around the Bay soon
Old 09-28-2019, 03:06 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

To OP. What tire pressure you use for your track Day?
Old 09-28-2019, 04:01 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

OP Looks like your spoiler malfunctioned in the up positionAll kidding aside, great writeup and objective review!

J
Old 09-28-2019, 09:54 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nilaz
To OP. What tire pressure you use for your track Day?
I ended up liking 35f/36r hot as a compromise.

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
OP Looks like your spoiler malfunctioned in the up positionAll kidding aside, great writeup and objective review!

J
I'm not one for perma spoiler but after a session, it lets the engine compartment "breathe" a little and dissipate heat.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:47 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I will have a set of Tractive Dampers, DSC & RS-29 pads in next week if all the parts arrive in time! I hope it is smooth, quiet..... as I generally put 10K or more miles a year with a few DE's scattered. The car has to be a GT car first and track car maybe 4th or 5th.
Can you please provide your feed back on the tractive dampers, I have them on my wish list. I’m especially interested to hear about the ride quality during street use and if it can match the stock quality. I thinking about a set for my .2 GTS. Thanks
Old 10-07-2019, 01:32 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Can you please provide your feed back on the tractive dampers, I have them on my wish list. I’m especially interested to hear about the ride quality during street use and if it can match the stock quality. I thinking about a set for my .2 GTS. Thanks
Will do, they are being installed this week so I should be able to test on the street and track soon!

I did drive a 991.2 Carrera S with stock dampers, springs and full spherical bushing set for 11 Hours straight today and was very impressed how civil that car was so I am hoping the Tractive will be as good or better.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:46 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
OP: Agreed.
Similar experience when I tracked my 991.2 C2S. The strong point (esp. on technical track) is the motor, weakest point is street tires. But IMHO Cup2 is only a marginal improvement over 4S - still get greasy quick and require a lot of air pressure tinkering but do generate more grip obviously.
How do they compare then in this regard to the stock Pirelli P-Zeros? I will need new tires come spring.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:52 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 666 Posts

Great write up. I have gone from Cup2's to TrofeoR to now AR-1 semi slicks, and shortly full slicks on track wheels.

The TrofeoR is the best all round tyre if you track. The Cup2 is a considerable improvement, however it does not have enough stiffness in the sidewall for heavy tracking. I split one. The TrofeoR was much better.

The AR-1's are great on the track, but suck on the street from dreadful road noise. Sounds like a 4 x 4 hum. So I need track wheels next.

I have Tractive suspension. It is epic. It delivers as promised. Even with my serious spring rates, it is still street compliant at the push of a button. very pleased with tractive.

I agree the GTS needs Aero.

So........ I did this.

Just waiting on the PWR centre radiator. I will upgrade the outside two later as well to have all 3 PWR.
Brakes I run 380mm Brembo GTS. The stock brakes just did not cut it for serious tracking. (Even with pagids and steel lines and Castrol SRF.) If you track hard, go straight for BBK upgrade.

P.S. Pagid RSL 29 suck on the street. Squeal like a city bus. Endless ME20 are awesome all rounder front pad.. Epic on the track and street and soft squeal after track transfer wears off, but it is less than what stock brakes squealed.

I run endless Mx72+ in rear and they are silent and not wearing at rear at all....FINALLY!!!

Quick Reply: Former RS owner's first 991.2 GTS Track Day