Sponsored by:

Start/stop operation deactivated

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019 | 06:30 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Default Start/stop operation deactivated

Hi all,

I ran into this message yesterday. In my searching on the forums, I can only find a couple of situations where folks ran into this in conjunction with airbag/seat belt warnings. In my case, I just have this message. I know in those other cases it was the airbag module that needed to be replaced.

Has anyone run into this issue on its own? Would there be any potential for a COV to be the culprit?

Clarification from LexVan - battery is two months old.

I am going to the dealer on Tuesday to have them diagnose the dreaded lack of reverse lights, but given my car is out of warranty, I'm not sure how far I'm going to be able to stretch the goodwill requests.

Update: I have the car back from the dealer. Although they blamed my aftermarket battery, the warning is no longer present. I suspect they checked the battery cables as part of their diagnosis and perhaps seated them better than I did.

As I was also there having my lack of reverse lights diagnosed, they at least cut the inspection fee down to $82.50 CAD.

I will update again if the issue comes back, but for now, definitely seems like the cables bring loose would be a good bet.

Last edited by koala; 09-21-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
9ONCE (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019 | 06:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

How old is your battery?
Old 09-15-2019 | 06:34 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
How old is your battery?
Shoot, I should have mentioned that. It's brand new, just replaced it two months ago. Had this happened before the new battery I definitely would have blamed that
Old 09-15-2019 | 06:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Lots of short trips?
Has it been sitting for a while?
Do you have access to a battery maintainer?
Old 09-15-2019 | 06:39 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
Lots of short trips?
Has it been sitting for a while?
Do you have access to a battery maintainer?
Nope - car always gets up to operating temp. - commute to work is 15+ miles.
Was sitting for maybe 2-3 days.
Almost always on the battery maintainer.

Would there be any merit to trying to convince the POR II scan tool to try and program the new battery? My first attempt with it was unsuccessful and I know people are split on whether or not this even matters.
Old 09-16-2019 | 05:29 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

I always have mine off, but does this warning perhaps just pop up when the conditions aren't ideal for start/stop? I know when its super hot outside and you're running the AC, then SS doesn't activate in order to keep enough power supplied to everything that's working hard.

**Edit: I just checked Good to Know. Looks like that is a fault and needs to be checked by the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
koala (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019 | 05:32 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I always have mine off, but does this warning perhaps just pop up when the conditions aren't ideal for start/stop? I know when its super hot outside and you're running the AC, then SS doesn't activate in order to keep enough power supplied to everything that's working hard.
I always have mine off too as I drive the car exclusively in Sport Plus - but the weird thing is this message is coming on immediately on starting up the car and has done it now every time I've driven it since Saturday. It's very strange!
Old 09-16-2019 | 05:35 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

I just edited my post above
Old 09-16-2019 | 05:43 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Seems to be working correctly. It should be permanently disabled. This crap should be reserved for a **** Prius econobox.
Old 09-16-2019 | 05:49 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by venom51
Seems to be working correctly. It should be permanently disabled. This crap should be reserved for a **** Prius econobox.
Oh yeah, a part of me doesn't care - it's just annoying as the message has to be manually cleared every time you start the car, otherwise, it sits there in the display forever.
Old 09-16-2019 | 06:21 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
Oh yeah, a part of me doesn't care - it's just annoying as the message has to be manually cleared every time you start the car, otherwise, it sits there in the display forever.
I remember reading a post somewhere where the cause was a loose battery cable. But in that case the voltage was all over the map as well. I would love it if the default on starting was auto stop/start OFF, not enabled.
Old 09-16-2019 | 07:10 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DHL
I remember reading a post somewhere where the cause was a loose battery cable. But in that case the voltage was all over the map as well. I would love it if the default on starting was auto stop/start OFF, not enabled.
Hey, that's a great tip either way. I did replace the battery two months ago so I'll pull the cover right now and ensure my connections are tight. Thank you
Old 09-16-2019 | 07:56 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by venom51
I wonder if anyone has had this feature "quit" on them?
When I first picked up my 2012.5 I remembered the light on the console button always being lit when the start/stop was NOT activated (as I like it).
The car always remembered this setting but it looks like the light has finally burnt out, or maybe it gives up on trying to annoy you after long enough?
Seems like something that should be able to be coded out permanently?
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:40 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

It works by voltage from the battery and if there is a fluctuation in the voltage this error can appear. I would say it has to be battery or battery connection related.
Perhaps a ground or connection shorting on something. As a side note, I did buy the module that permanently disables the auto start stop feature and that is the best mod ever..
Old 09-17-2019 | 11:00 AM
Targe19
Track Day

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
It works by voltage from the battery and if there is a fluctuation in the voltage this error can appear. I would say it has to be battery or battery connection related.
Perhaps a ground or connection shorting on something. As a side note, I did buy the module that permanently disables the auto start stop feature and that is the best mod ever..
Hi. Do you have the website for the said module?

Quick Reply: Start/stop operation deactivated