Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me fall back in love with my car....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 11:33 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

You received some great advice here. The thing is 10k miles in three years isn't very much, either you just lost interest or you have more important interests. Sounds like it might be time to sell and when you get the itch again the Carrera T prices will be down far enough.

Or you could get it wrapped! Not sure that will make you drive more though.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:47 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Rather than asking a bunch of strangers who are going to tell you to pet it nicely and speak softly into one of the brake ducts it may be better to take a break, sell it and see if anything else checks that box for excitement more appropriately.
You might find you want back in but a new model, year, variant might be the right thing. Maybe a tire smoking TT?
Old 09-16-2019, 12:01 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

He has a manual...if it were a PDK it probably would have been gone already.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:47 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
He has a manual...if it were a PDK it probably would have been gone already.
Can't say I agree Bob. After numerous MT cars 4 of which were Porsche TT cars I can't say anything negative about the PDK in my TTS. Was I originally skeptical, yes, but now after some years of ownership I can't imagine not having this tranny in this car. The capabilities of the car can only be reached with the PDK.
I'm a convert in this car. Would I drive MT again sure possibly but to get what the TT cars offer the PDK is the only way to go.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Can't say I agree Bob. After numerous MT cars 4 of which were Porsche TT cars I can't say anything negative about the PDK in my TTS. Was I originally skeptical, yes, but now after some years of ownership I can't imagine not having this tranny in this car. The capabilities of the car can only be reached with the PDK.
I'm a convert in this car. Would I drive MT again sure possibly but to get what the TT cars offer the PDK is the only way to go.
Maybe the OP will chime it since they picked a manual to begin with and he is the one not loving his car - we both are!
Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Lovin' Feeling

Maybe this will help OP:

Old 09-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Maybe the OP will chime it since they picked a manual to begin with and he is the one not loving his car - we both are!
The manual has kept the appeal higher than a PDK, for sure.

Thanks all. Keep it coming. I appreciate that strangers on the internet won't know my situation or my thoughts, but it's always good to hear from those who have gone through the same progression and thought process.

Unfortunately a T is worth, as was said, about $35 k plus more than my car. I'm not sure if it's worth making that jump or not.

Yes, there are many nice sport sedans out there. But I would honestly miss having the Porsche as well. Our local PCA community is great and I enjoy hanging with them at meets and events. I could always bring the Cayenne I suppose!
Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I know your wife wants back seats but if not I think you would really like a 718 Boxster Spider: manual, open top and a different experience than the 911 all together, in a good way.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Maybe change the way you use the car? For example, join your local PCA and start auto crossing. Or, hire a babysitter, and take your wife on a rally.
^ this
Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Hey all.

My car is a 2013 C2S Cab. It's fairly highly optioned...7MT, PSE, Sport Chrono, full leather, Burmester, etc although it doesn't have any crazy leather options. Mods are the Smart Top controller, GT4 shifter and Rennline fully adjustable pedal set (4 pcs). I've had the car 3 years and put 10k miles on it. This past year I feel like I didn't drive it a lot, not sure why. It is my 3rd car, not my daily driver.

This year my son finally got too big to sit in the back behind my wife, so we can no longer take the car out with all 4 of us in it (my 9 year old still fits behind me).

I'm just not as in love with the car as I was when I first bought it. I've been trying out various options to see if there is something I might like. Have tried 997 GTS and Turbo, also a 991.1 GTS and all versions of 991.2 So far I enjoy the 991.1 GTS but I really enjoy the Carrera T the most. The problem is that they are still fairly expensive relative to a similarly priced Carrera. That and part of me still does think I will miss the cab. Although I do enjoy the stiffness of the coupes. I've also tried out an S5 Cab, C43 Cab, and M4 Cab.

I've gotten trade in offers of between $59k and $62k (it's got just under 40k miles). I've thought about selling it outright as well and waiting for the T's to drop in price a bit. Or even waiting for a 718 GT4 although the wife does like the idea of the rear seats for emergencies.

I've also though about doing more mods to keep me interested and make the car a little sharper. I like the sound from the PSE so don't really see the need to spend more on an exhaust.

Suggestions?
That's a tough one. I fell out-of-love with mine for awhile, too. I think it was because it was in storage and I was just forgetting about it. We recently bought a new house and now the car is in the garage and I see it constantly. That beautiful form is great to look at, but it also reminds me of how fortunate I am to have it there. I am also driving it a lot more for errands and once a week from Rehoboth Delaware to D.C.. I drove in this morning and was just admiring how well the cockpit is set up in the 991.

Anyway, to get back to suggestions for mods. I don't have any. In my mind, this car is set up perfectly. I can imagine that exhaust note with the top down. But one thing I have enjoyed in the past is meeting some old school buddies in Colorado in the summer. I drove my Porsche Cayman there twice. The point it, maybe you can have some "you" time and take it on a good trip by yourself.

Finally, you know it's said that absence makes the heart from fonder. Why not let me have it next summer?
Old 09-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I know your wife wants back seats but if not I think you would really like a 718 Boxster Spider: manual, open top and a different experience than the 911 all together, in a good way.
Right now I am considering selling my car and waiting until the 718 Spyder market becomes calm and I can order one at MSRP. I'm sure that won't happen for a while. I think it's probably the perfect car for me, back seats aside. Yes, it will be more money (I configured mine to $115k) but being a GT car it'll hold value and having no payment on the 911 for a year or so will allow me to close the gap.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Rather than asking a bunch of strangers who are going to tell you to pet it nicely and speak softly into one of the brake ducts it may be better to take a break, sell it and see if anything else checks that box for excitement more appropriately.
You might find you want back in but a new model, year, variant might be the right thing. Maybe a tire smoking TT?

Update to this thread. This is exactly where I ended up.

Circumstances dictated a move: back in March, just as the pandemic fever was reaching full pitch, my daily driver Model 3 was totaled in an accident. I had already decided to sell my 991 and was literally packing the car up to bring it to the local Porsche dealer when they called me to say that they were stopping buying inventory unless it was a new sale trade. I ended up trading it on a new Model 3, I actually came out ahead of what I was going to get paid for it when you factor in the trade in tax break. I decided I would ride out the pandemic market and wait for prices to drop.

Well prices on anything interesting haven't dropped at all. If at all, they went up! I test drove several 997 Turbos and also 991 Carrera T's. Came SUPER close to pulling the trigger on a Carrera T at Autobahn Porsche in Plano. It had higher miles, over 20k, but was really nicely equipped with Guards red and the red interior package, 18 way seats, etc. I was up in the Dallas area on business so I had the 4 hour drive home to contemplate things. The Carrera T is a fine car and I may end up owning one someday. But my heart just kept pulling to the 997 Turbos. I never wrote off the Carrera T, but the more 997 Turbos I drove over the past year the more I became convinced that I just wanted to take a step back, and scratch the "older 911" itch. The 997, to me, is a great blend of the old and the new. I can't fit in an air cooled car comfortably, and I tried getting my family of four in one and it was definitely a no-go.

Ended up purchasing a 2011 Turbo S. Story, if you care, is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ing-older.html

I wanted to say thank you for all the support so many of you have given over the 3 and a half years of ownership. There are so many good people here on Rennlist, and the 991 forum has always been a great place to hang out and get information, etc. on the platform. I hope that I helped some people with the few threads I created on the GT4 shifter, pedal install, etc. I know that there were many more threads that helped me along the way; thanks!

The 991 is a great 911. I never gelled with mine as I bought what I thought at the time was what I wanted; turns out I definitely wanted something different that wasn't even out at the time. I think had the Carrera T been out I would have stretched and bought a new one and probably would still have it!.

Thank you again.

The following 3 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
AlexCeres (09-11-2020), CPL55 (09-12-2020), NJBThor (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 02:27 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

I've gotten trade in offers of between $59k and $62k (it's got just under 40k miles). I've thought about selling it outright as well and waiting for the T's to drop in price a bit. Or even waiting for a 718 GT4 although the wife does like the idea of the rear seats for emergencies.

Suggestions?
The T is a cool car but only when configured in a way that keeps it light. It’s the only .2 Carrera that I would have parted with my high spec GT4 for. In fact, I think in that HP range it’s better than a GT4 as the gearing is ideal and the GT4’s gearing is a let down (applies to the new one as well). In the end I got really enthused about the 50th Anniversary 911 as they are very special and collectible, and can be had for T prices. For one they are wide body RWD with the X51 power kit, so 430 HP and they weigh less than a T. Plus you can find them without sunroofs which I prefer and the interior is retro cool. Only 1963 made worldwide so they are exclusive, and will be collectible. It’s just a matter of finding one you like and the color choices are limited to 2 modern versions of the original color palette, plus black. If Steve McQueen were alive today he’d have one
Old 09-11-2020, 04:48 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm just not as in love with the car as I was when I first bought it
Suggestions?
It has happened to me with all my 991 cars (three since 2014). I am now finding myself in the same boat as you with my 2016 GT3. There is very little left I can do to mod it any further and preserve my 10 year engine warranty I don't drive it at all anymore except on the track. Every time I get the urge to sell it and try something new - I just can't pull the trigger. Good luck, time has a way of sorting out this type of dilemma.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
It has happened to me with all my 991 cars (three since 2014). I am now finding myself in the same boat as you with my 2016 GT3. There is very little left I can do to mod it any further and preserve my 10 year engine warranty I don't drive it at all anymore except on the track. Every time I get the urge to sell it and try something new - I just can't pull the trigger. Good luck, time has a way of sorting out this type of dilemma.
Do what I did and switch to a different platform, lol.

Quick Reply: Help me fall back in love with my car....