Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me fall back in love with my car....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,281 Likes on 592 Posts

You may laugh, but before you sell it, go and personally detail it. When I wash a car I often re-hab my appreciation for it. Simple.

Also, I might suggest you add some colour to your interior - namely red seat belts. It'll look great.
The following users liked this post:
CPL55 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
A few suggestions.

1) Coilovers - transformed the car for me. I got Tractives but you can also consider KW and Bilstein which I heard are also awesome.
2) If that’s too big of a jump, get a DSC controller. That was my first step and I loved it. Transforms your stock PASM and plug and play.
3) 991.2 GT Steering wheel. Smaller diameter is awesome and completely changes the way you interact w the car.
4) Michelin 4S tires if you’re still running Pirellis

agree on the Cobb. Skip it on a .1
This is awesome and mostly mirrors the road map I have for my car also. Hadn’t planned to do #1; is it really better than Porsche’s stock coilovers and i. What way?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Lol. I do already feel guilty that I am often driving the car alone.
Must be nice to have that feeling, I have no choice but to drive my cars and especially convertible alone

I find at highway speeds you can’t have a conversation anyway so not the best “date” car unless you’re really driving slow and them whats the point?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
None of these, IMO, will change the OPs attitude. It hard to tell exactly what someone is thinking, what their financial situation is, etc. but based on the information presented I would sell or trade it and get the T since that was singled out. Regardless, get rid of the car as fast as you can and get something else. If you are like me when I lose interest in a car I get something different, no matter if it has been 3 months, a year, or a couple years....I want to experience as many different cars as I can and unless I am in love with something there is no reason to keep it.
This is spot on... Once you fall out of love it will never be the same. You can get a tune or something else, it will only give you a few more months before you fall out of love again.

Do what Bob said, the Carrera T will spark joy.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by CCDD
Try driving a Tesla, any model, give it a week, you’ll quickly fall in love with your 911 all over again!!
I have daily driven a Model 3 for the last 8 plus months.
Guards_Red_991 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 01:34 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by CCDD
Try driving a Tesla, any model, give it a week, you’ll quickly fall in love with your 911 all over again!!
I have daily driven a Model 3 for the last 8 plus months.
lol

Just my opinion OP but would you run into the same problem with a different 911 if you aren't taking the car out much or driving it? That being said, unless you have baked in precious memories in your car that you find really really hard to let go of, your title would be self explanatory for me and time for a change. Whether it means simply selling the car because you are too busy or for whatever reason not enjoying the car, doing something to your cab to get some excitement, or getting something new and shiny to get that excitement

My 911 is my daily driver so whether I like it or not I'm driving her just about daily, and it's a blast. I'm not much of a mod or tuner guy, but also not a cab guy, so if I was in your shoes personally life is short I'd go after what is tugging at your heartstrings

Really only you can decide what the right move is. Some are very preferential to the NA 991.1 engine, so you'd lose that if it means anything to you. I went from a 991.2 to a 991.1, and while I love my .1, to my surprise I miss the 3.0 turbo base 991.2 engine a lot more than I would have imagined. And I like the CarreraT ethos and special bits.... YMMV
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
A few suggestions.

1) Coilovers - transformed the car for me. I got Tractives but you can also consider KW and Bilstein which I heard are also awesome.
2) If that’s too big of a jump, get a DSC controller. That was my first step and I loved it. Transforms your stock PASM and plug and play.
3) 991.2 GT Steering wheel. Smaller diameter is awesome and completely changes the way you interact w the car.
4) Michelin 4S tires if you’re still running Pirellis

agree on the Cobb. Skip it on a .1
I've done 3 and 4.
The steering wheel is a huge step change, and the 4S tires are incredible.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flgfish
I've done 3 and 4.
The steering wheel is a huge step change, and the 4S tires are incredible.
Huge step change as in difficult to perform the swap or huge step in terms of benefits gained? I drove the wheel and its sublime to drive. Can the scroll wheels be programmed to move through the different digital clusters even on the 991.1?
Old 09-15-2019, 05:09 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky991
Huge step change as in difficult to perform the swap or huge step in terms of benefits gained? I drove the wheel and its sublime to drive. Can the scroll wheels be programmed to move through the different digital clusters even on the 991.1?
It's a very easy install. I did mine in about an hour & had never done it before.
I was going from the 991.1 MF wheel to the 991.2 MF wheel, and the paddles on the new wheel totally transform driving the car in manual mode with PDK. Getting rid of the "click with your palm on accident" shifters on the .1 MF wheel was the biggest difference.
You need an adapter for the MF buttons - but it's easy to install. https://gpsadapter.us/products/stmv1...nt=38386753675
So you just need that adapter, the wheel itself, and the different airbag.
Size, styling, visual look - all better. But the paddles are the bee's knees IMO.
If you're coming from the sport wheel on the .1, then maybe not as big of a change. The wheel does feel better in the hands IMO, but it's small changes.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:59 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

Hey all.

My car is a 2013 C2S Cab. It's fairly highly optioned...7MT, PSE, Sport Chrono, full leather, Burmester, etc although it doesn't have any crazy leather options. Mods are the Smart Top controller, GT4 shifter and Rennline fully adjustable pedal set (4 pcs). I've had the car 3 years and put 10k miles on it. This past year I feel like I didn't drive it a lot, not sure why. It is my 3rd car, not my daily driver.

This year my son finally got too big to sit in the back behind my wife, so we can no longer take the car out with all 4 of us in it (my 9 year old still fits behind me).

I'm just not as in love with the car as I was when I first bought it. I've been trying out various options to see if there is something I might like. Have tried 997 GTS and Turbo, also a 991.1 GTS and all versions of 991.2 So far I enjoy the 991.1 GTS but I really enjoy the Carrera T the most. The problem is that they are still fairly expensive relative to a similarly priced Carrera. That and part of me still does think I will miss the cab. Although I do enjoy the stiffness of the coupes. I've also tried out an S5 Cab, C43 Cab, and M4 Cab.

I've gotten trade in offers of between $59k and $62k (it's got just under 40k miles). I've thought about selling it outright as well and waiting for the T's to drop in price a bit. Or even waiting for a 718 GT4 although the wife does like the idea of the rear seats for emergencies.

I've also though about doing more mods to keep me interested and make the car a little sharper. I like the sound from the PSE so don't really see the need to spend more on an exhaust.

Suggestions?
Get the T. After a couple of years you will be bored with that and you can move on. Happens to most people. It is a car.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:07 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

You should go test drive a few new cars. I usually find that once I scratch that itch, I'm good with what I have. I don't think there is anything appreciably better out there without spending a boat load of money. The Carrera T would be a fantastic car, but probably $30-40k extra on top of what a 991.1 is worth these days.

I also agree with Zeus. Detail your car. It's a great feeling when it's all cleaned up. My dad left his A5 in my driveway while he's gone to Europe for a month - he has never detailed his car, so I'm doing it. He's going to come back to a nearly-new interior on a 6-year-old car with 100k miles on it. Guarantee he'll keep it an extra year at least
Noah Fect (09-12-2020)
Old 09-15-2019, 07:30 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Swap it for a hardtop version of the same car.

Honestly, imo that's the biggest crutch considering what I perceive to take from your driving and automotive preferences. These cars just don't have the same "edge" in convertible guise.

On another note, considering you can easily get $10+K more than the crap trade in value dealers give you with a patient private sale, it's amazing how well .1's have held their values. Going for barely if any less than what they were selling for in 2017 when I was shopping. Which is extra impressive when considering the fact that prices went UP in 2017 from where they were in 2016 for .1's. As I said in another thread, I've never seen that happen to such a new car that sells in such volume. The free market has taken kindly to the 997.2 and 991.1 since the 991.2's came out.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Swap it for a hardtop version of the same car.

Honestly, imo that's the biggest crutch considering what I perceive to take from your driving and automotive preferences. These cars just don't have the same "edge" in convertible guise.

On another note, considering you can easily get $10+K more than the crap trade in value dealers give you with a patient private sale, it's amazing how well .1's have held their values. Going for barely if any less than what they were selling for in 2017 when I was shopping. Which is extra impressive when considering the fact that prices went UP in 2017 from where they were in 2016 for .1's. As I said in another thread, I've never seen that happen to such a new car that sells in such volume. The free market has taken kindly to the 997.2 and 991.1 since the 991.2's came out.
That happened for all of a few months when people(dealers) were running the "LAST OF THE NA" hype. .1 cars have seen strong depreciation in the last year from base to TTS. 991.1s can be had for cheap money today. Even the GT3 market has softened heavily.

991.2 GT3 Touring, GT3, GTS, and targa variants are the only 991 cars seeing a stronghold on value ATM... Aside from special limited production models. Not counting RS cars since those are a different breed.

I just sold my 2013 C4S for 67k a few months ago. 28k miles. Bought for 72k with 18k miles. Carmax has been trying to sell it for 75k now for several months and its bounced around 4 different states. Constantly disappearing and reappearing online.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:06 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
That happened for all of a few months when people(dealers) were running the "LAST OF THE NA" hype. .1 cars have seen strong depreciation in the last year from base to TTS. 991.1s can be had for cheap money today. Even the GT3 market has softened heavily.

991.2 GT3 Touring, GT3, GTS, and targa variants are the only 991 cars seeing a stronghold on value ATM... Aside from special limited production models. Not counting RS cars since those are a different breed.

I just sold my 2013 C4S for 67k a few months ago. 28k miles. Bought for 72k with 18k miles. Carmax has been trying to sell it for 75k now for several months and its bounced around 4 different states. Constantly disappearing and reappearing online.
Asking prices on .1's are still barely down from 2016-2017 prices. HFS thread is confirming sales prices are in line also. Not much less than when I was shopping in 2017. Now compare that to any other car that sells at similar prices and at similar volume.... you won't find one touching the 997.2 or 991.1. "Last of the N/A" will always hold weight in the open market. Even your sales price is pretty solid, considering you only lost $5K. Good luck finding that resale on a non-limited edition car at that price range, and if you traded in it makes it even more significant.

It's getting to the point where you're seeing 991.2's selling for similar or close to dipping below some .1 asking prices. IMO in several years, when they're all out of warranty, no doubt the switch will take place and on average .1's will have higher selling prices.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:08 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Family takes precedence, material objects aren't as important. As you get older, the time spent together become priceless memories.

There are also very nice sport sedans out there. Revisit that sport car once the kids are grown. It's what I did.

Quick Reply: Help me fall back in love with my car....