Oil change and oil level measurement

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 12:26 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Oil change and oil level measurement

Did my first oil change the other day. Followed that one Youtube vid

and like the vid, I took out 9 to 9.5 qts during the drain (my car was up on jacks at the rear with tires about 3-4" off ground). I added 8 qts back in to start.

But unlike in the vid, I could not get my oil level function to work. Kept saying "oil measurement unavailable". Now I changed the oil cold, so that is probably the reason, but it would not provide a reading again until the temp was over 200 F. When it did finally provide a reading, I was way low (yellow and not reading anything on the graph), telling me to add 1.5 qts.

I am wondering what the purpose is to provide no oil level guidance at all until warm. What if you did not add back enough oil and ended up starving the motor until it warmed up? If I hadn't measured the drained volume I would have no idea how much to refill. Would you get a reading if the motor was still hot after changing the oil? I hate doing this because you always get a dose of hot oil on your hand while pulling that stupid drain plug.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:37 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Did my first oil change the other day. Followed that one Youtube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LYndMeDVJg,

and like the vid, I took out 9 to 9.5 qts during the drain (my car was up on jacks at the rear with tires about 3-4" off ground). I added 8 qts back in to start.

But unlike in the vid, I could not get my oil level function to work. Kept saying "oil measurement unavailable". Now I changed the oil cold, so that is probably the reason, but it would not provide a reading again until the temp was over 200 F. When it did finally provide a reading, I was way low (yellow and not reading anything on the graph), telling me to add 1.5 qts.

I am wondering what the purpose is to provide no oil level guidance at all until warm. What if you did not add back enough oil and ended up starving the motor until it warmed up? If I hadn't measured the drained volume I would have no idea how much to refill. Would you get a reading if the motor was still hot after changing the oil? I hate doing this because you always get a dose of hot oil on your hand while pulling that stupid drain plug.
You might, but that reading is not going to be 100% accurate.

Everything sounds about right in terms of how the car behaved, and what the MFD showed you. I would personally add 8.5-9quarts to start and slowly fill up little by little at a time from there.

Engine needs to be fully warmed up so the oil reaches all the nooks and crannies (laymans terms). That way it can give you a proper readout.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:14 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

AS long as you have oil pressure ( which does show up immediately once you start up your car), you have the minimum amount of oil needed present.
Take it for a 15 minute drive and you will get your readout.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:50 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
AS long as you have oil pressure ( which does show up immediately once you start up your car), you have the minimum amount of oil needed present.
Take it for a 15 minute drive and you will get your readout.
Good advice. That is the first thing I looked for after starting the car. I would also assume if you are really low, you would get some sort of low oil level warning light as well.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:28 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Occasionally I measure the drained oil as a guide to the refill
Old 08-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

I estimated drained oil from 19 4 GTS to be 8.75 quarts based on weight. I didn’t measure volume. I filled with about the same again based on weight. Car was on Quick Jack lift in a mildly sloped garage floor. Supposedly 1 bar on oil level digital measurement in MFD is 200ml so that is where there will be some variance. Anyways, that got the car to full oil on the reading.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:24 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

One thing I found out is when the MFD says you need to add another quart, after doing so the display will still indicate you're low when you start your car up again. Let the engine run a few minutes and it'll eventually give you the correct reading.

Quick Reply: Oil change and oil level measurement