Sponsored by:

Would you rather? 991.1 GTS Manual or 2020 Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:11 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Here's the thing....Porsche is probably under-rating that Box Spy like they often do with small-run edition cars. They are advertising 395 hp to keep the 911 guys from having a stroke, but I bet if you actually put one on the dyno it would be more like 425 hp. That's pretty much how Porsche rolls on the "detuned" engines so I don;'t think you will see a performance issue. And, the Boxster will out-handle the 911's all day long when pushed hard (I've owned them both).

The con on the Boxsters is they are extremely claustrophobic with the top up. You will feel like a sardine in a can. Ultimately that's one of the primary reasons I went back to the 911 cab. It was for comfort, not performance.
The Boxster does not out handle the 911.... I own both right now. My Boxster is on the the full Tarett Catalogue, Öhlins coilovers, TPC sways and all poly bushing. My PASM 911 Cab is on Eibachs and GT3 Sways.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Those cars are soo different it’s like choosing between chocolate cake and ice cream. Good news is you’re winning either way. If I could only have one it would be the 991. Spyder is an awesome weekend car imo but the realities of its design make it less ideal for a daily car. Specifically I’m referring to the manual only top, inability to open the rear trunk if you have the top up, lack of storage inside the car, and if you have buckets (which I would say are a must), ease of ingress and egress multiple times per day. Also blind spot is HUGE with the top up so safely maneuvering in traffic or congested conditions requires care. Noise in the cabin is minimal and less than you might expect such that you can talk on the phone okay if you need to.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:24 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
The Boxster does not out handle the 911.... I own both right now. My Boxster is on the the full Tarett Catalogue, Öhlins coilovers, TPC sways and all poly bushing. My PASM 911 Cab is on Eibachs and GT3 Sways.
Comes down to a matter of opinion, I guess. For myself, I track both and I can push a Boxster much harder at the track (it's better balanced) that any of the 911's I've owned. I can stop a 911 faster going into the corners because of the rear weight bias, but something like the climbing esses at VIR, the mid-engine just destroys the waggy rear end on a 911. But to each his own!
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
JAhmed (08-24-2019), subshooter (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 06:17 AM
spraguedawley
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

Both. That's what I am doing. The 991.1 GTS is too special to get rid of, especially in manual.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 07:01 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
Hello all,
I wanted to run this by the Rennlist community as I'm considering a change from my beloved 2015 911 Carrera GTS with a manual transmission to a 2020 Boxster Spyder. I have had this car for 4 years now this November, and have really loved most every minute of driving it. However, I am yearning for an open top experience again as I came from a 2014 Targa before this and I realized after having a Porsche for 5 years that my driving habits just do not involve a lot of tracking (as I thought I would when I acquired the GTS). That being said, I wonder if I will miss the extra 10hp of the GTS or just being in a 911 in general. I know the Spyder has a 4.0L NA engine it shares with the GT4 but it appears to be a detuned version of the current gen 911 engine, so will I feel that on the road in terms of raw power? For those wondering, I won't need the back seats as I NEVER used them in the 911. Your opinions and thoughts would be highly welcome!!
After a few years in both 911's (new and old) and Boxster / Caymans, I've recently had the good fortune to come to rest with both. My first 2011 Spyder was so incredibly good, and missed when sold, that after a brief stint in a 981 base Cayman I jumped back into a 2011 Spyder. What so good about that car is what it does best and that is the top-down driving experience. There is nothing like the top-down, wind in your air, rip up in the mountains and along the local inlet. It is astounding. BUT... as a daily driver, in inclement weather with the top up, it's very raw and claustrophobic.

So, after selling my 993 C2S (also super fun to drive but not particularly a good DD) I added a new Carrera T, MT, Sunroof delete, RAS, PCCB to work as a daily driver. And so far, some 4500 miles later, it's working good. It's an incredible car and that twin-turbo'd 3.0? Whoa daddy. It makes me laugh when the power kicks in and it goes "beast" on me. Totally fun and a very very different car than the Spyder.

My advice to the OP? Pick up a Gen-1 Spyder before the prices start to rise. It is the PERFECT companion to your GTS for those beautiful summer early mornings when the local roads beckon you to drive them. The Gen-3 Spyder? Bigger, less revvy engine, cylinder shut-off (arggh), auto-shutoff (arggh), top flaps = non-functional etc... Meh... sorry.

Good luck on your hunt!

Here's the thing....Porsche is probably under-rating that Box Spy like they often do with small-run edition cars. They are advertising 395 hp to keep the 911 guys from having a stroke, but I bet if you actually put one on the dyno it would be more like 425 hp. That's pretty much how Porsche rolls on the "detuned" engines so I don;'t think you will see a performance issue. And, the Boxster will out-handle the 911's all day long when pushed hard (I've owned them both).

The con on the Boxsters is they are extremely claustrophobic with the top up. You will feel like a sardine in a can. Ultimately that's one of the primary reasons I went back to the 911 cab. It was for comfort, not performance.
Agreed. Not so good for a single car. I love the 991.2 for that extra space.

Originally Posted by Keadog
And that's only a thin fabric top on the Spyder. I had two 981 Boxsters and I didn't mind them, space wise, but my wife really felt cramped in them. So went to a Targa and then traded that for my current C4 cab (for a variety of other reasons, mostly though because the Targa really didn't ever feel like top down motoring to me).

I test drove a '16 Spyder and was surprised how raw it felt. Good in many ways, but not what I would pick for a cross country drive whereas neither of us mind long road trips in the 991s.
And that manual top is a real PIA IMO. Nothing like a SmartTOP module for me.
The Gen-1 (987.2) Spyder has a VERY thin top that was replaced with a thicker more sturdy top in the Gen-2 (981) Spyder. I think it's (Gen-2) totally livable with but is still semi-manual (kinda goofy IMO). If you want a push-button top, like Porsche offers so very very well, then why not consider a cab or a Targa?

Originally Posted by AnandN
Depends upon how one uses the car. I had a 981 Boxster S (manual) that I traded for my current manual 991.2 4S. My Boxster was a limited use car but fantastic to drive. My 911 is easier to drive everyday. For fun, Boxster wins hands down. For practicality, the 911. Actually, I miss my Boxster.
Yep. Been there, done that, bought another. Again, 991.2 4S + Gen-1 Spyder = the PERFECT combo.

Originally Posted by spraguedawley
Both. That's what I am doing. The 991.1 GTS is too special to get rid of, especially in manual.
Yes. So good. Even adding an older Boxster to your crib would be a fun move.

Last edited by Zeus993; 08-26-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:32 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 882 Posts

For the past 1.5 years I wanted a GT4. Comparable to the Spyder​. Considered the Spyder but already had an S2000 that I was keeping so didn't think I wanted another convertible. Had been holding out for the release of the new models, which is why it was a 1.5 year wait

I had heard about the gearing, but didn't really believe
Test drove a couple GT4 along with a couple manual Carrera T
And it took like three days for it to sink in
The GT4 sounded awesome
But the T was much more engaging
I used all three first gears and really enjoyed the 2-3 and 3-2 transitions. But in the GT4, I just sat in 2nd during all the "fun" roads I test drove on.

Maybe not 100% comparable, but for fun back road, weekend driving, staying in 2nd for nearly the entire drive, until 80+ lost the engagement and point of a manual. And while not the new models, all the reviews point to a similar experience.

Fast forward, ended up buying neither a GT4, a T, or a Spyder. 991.2 Targa with X51. Engaging like the T. But the added power of the new GT4 and Spyder. Topless driving combined with coupe like serenity, when desired.
robzimmermann (10-11-2022)
Old 08-24-2019, 07:37 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 882 Posts

Couple more points
RWS is legit. Makes it feel more mid engine. Had a 300hp Lotus Elise before the Targa. Would strongly recommend RWS. And this Targa is heavy. But RWS really makes it seem more nimble so not as noticable.

If you love the 991.1 GTS
But considering the new Spyder
Owe it to yourself to drive the old 981 Spyder and a 991.2 Targa, before putting down money for a 718 allocation
Old 08-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Comes down to a matter of opinion, I guess. For myself, I track both and I can push a Boxster much harder at the track (it's better balanced) that any of the 911's I've owned. I can stop a 911 faster going into the corners because of the rear weight bias, but something like the climbing esses at VIR, the mid-engine just destroys the waggy rear end on a 911. But to each his own!
The 991 and up eliminate this especially with tech like torque vectoring, rear wheel steer, PDCC, etc. Wider track and wheels, etc. I know, its throwing a ton of money and engineering to compete with the natural physics of mid engine placement in the Boxster/Cayman (which is quite a bit less expensive) but it worked.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:13 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 704 Posts

991.1 GTS all day. Boxster is a chick car.
cryptical1200 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 12:02 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
LOLOL hot take
Old 08-24-2019, 12:43 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I have and will always prefer a 911 over its smaller mid-engine siblings, it's just the icon for me and a dream achieved to have owned a few now

That being said I disagree with your opinion & bet many on RL who own Boxsters would also disagree. Actually a Boxster is probably more fun to drive and closer to the ethos of the old Porsches since the 911 has gotten very large and fat, but I'm not a convertible guy and again just love the feeling of a 911 regardless
Old 08-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I had a 2008 Boxster S and man, that thing was a blast to drive. My wife liked to drive it better than my current 991.2 so in that case it was somewhat of a chick car but overall it is not. When they first came out though more women bought them than men, with the tiptronic, but that started changing over the years.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:16 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 991.2 GTS manual and just bought a first gen Boxster, its a great combination. I did own a 981 Spyder for 2 years which I loved. One day I plan to upgrade the first gen Boxster which a first gen Spyder.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:09 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Respectfully - a cars handling isn't a matter of opinion. The feeling may be more fun and there is substantial merit in that but a 911 is more planted and better handling without question.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:43 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

UPDATE: Just back from a 500km / 312 Mile "tour" up in the hills of Whistler, BC, the Duffy Lake road and up into the Marble Canyon area (North and inland from Vancouver, BC, Canada). The Carerra T performed brilliantly. It really comes alive at some higher speeds, a beast on good, empty roads stretching ahead of you.

But... I missed the Spyder as well.

Time to clean up the T, park it, drop the Spyder top and go for some open-air rips.

Again, I'd keep your 991.1 GTS MT and add a Gen-1 Spyder. Go check one out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Zeus993; 08-26-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Ted Cassidy (01-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Would you rather? 991.1 GTS Manual or 2020 Boxster Spyder