Would you rather? 991.1 GTS Manual or 2020 Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 04:36 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Would you rather? 991.1 GTS Manual or 2020 Boxster Spyder

Hello all,
I wanted to run this by the Rennlist community as I'm considering a change from my beloved 2015 911 Carrera GTS with a manual transmission to a 2020 Boxster Spyder. I have had this car for 4 years now this November, and have really loved most every minute of driving it. However, I am yearning for an open top experience again as I came from a 2014 Targa before this and I realized after having a Porsche for 5 years that my driving habits just do not involve a lot of tracking (as I thought I would when I acquired the GTS). That being said, I wonder if I will miss the extra 10hp of the GTS or just being in a 911 in general. I know the Spyder has a 4.0L NA engine it shares with the GT4 but it appears to be a detuned version of the current gen 911 engine, so will I feel that on the road in terms of raw power? For those wondering, I wont need the back seats as I NEVER used them in the 911. Your opinions and thoughts would be highly welcome!!
Old 08-23-2019, 04:42 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 172 Posts

It's slower but you get an open top and mid engine will feel more nimble .. I think it looks pretty good too
Old 08-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Alec Syme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say do it! That Spyder looks pretty amazing and I'm sure it's a blast to drive. It's on the very short list (ok, only car) after I've had my fun with my current 991.2 Cab. Maybe 2 years out for me. Still, love my cab. I do want to actually drive one before ordering, however. There's more than one report that the gearing is super tall and not great for the street. Unless you like to wind out every gear. That's the only thing that would give me pause on that car. I've really grown to love the torquey 3 liter turbo engine in my 911. I would really miss that if all the power is north of 6 grand. That would bug me. Even my previous 991.1 cars had to be wrung out quite a bit to get to the power.

Something to consider. Test drive one once they start to hit the dealerships.

alec
Old 08-23-2019, 05:48 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Here's the thing....Porsche is probably under-rating that Box Spy like they often do with small-run edition cars. They are advertising 395 hp to keep the 911 guys from having a stroke, but I bet if you actually put one on the dyno it would be more like 425 hp. That's pretty much how Porsche rolls on the "detuned" engines so I don;'t think you will see a performance issue. And, the Boxster will out-handle the 911's all day long when pushed hard (I've owned them both).

The con on the Boxsters is they are extremely claustrophobic with the top up. You will feel like a sardine in a can. Ultimately that's one of the primary reasons I went back to the 911 cab. It was for comfort, not performance.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
The con on the Boxsters is they are extremely claustrophobic with the top up. You will feel like a sardine in a can. Ultimately that's one of the primary reasons I went back to the 911 cab. It was for comfort, not performance.
And that's only a thin fabric top on the Spyder. I had two 981 Boxsters and I didn't mind them, space wise, but my wife really felt cramped in them. So went to a Targa and then traded that for my current C4 cab (for a variety of other reasons, mostly though because the Targa really didn't ever feel like top down motoring to me).

I test drove a '16 Spyder and was surprised how raw it felt. Good in many ways, but not what I would pick for a cross country drive whereas neither of us mind long road trips in the 991s.
And that manual top is a real PIA IMO. Nothing like a SmartTOP module for me.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Some related thoughts from the 991 GT forum

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...which-one.html
Old 08-23-2019, 07:05 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

you know, it might make a difference what else is in your stable...

I actually think a 991 makes an amazing "only car" because its so good at everything, or maybe an "only enthusiast car" + dd, but in my experience it doesn't play nicely with other cars you might have, because its almost always the obvious choice for almost everything.

To be precise, I happen to have a REALLY nice '81 merc 380slc, that unfortunately doesn't get as much attention as it deserves because my 991.2 C2S MT is both a great performance car AND a great long distance steed, and I've asked myself, would something less multi-dimensional be a better complement to the merc (which is a cruiser)?

The boxster spyder seems very much to be a great fit like that, totally sporty, made for top down weather, etc.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:33 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

Depends upon how one uses the car. I had a 981 Boxster S (manual) that I traded for my current manual 991.2 4S. My Boxster was a limited use car but fantastic to drive. My 911 is easier to drive everyday. For fun, Boxster wins hands down. For practicality, the 911. Actually, I miss my Boxster.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:56 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

If you have the resources to sample, by all means get the Boxster. The Boxster is totally underestimated by most 911 fans. They are not directly comparable- they are different experiences.

I sold a well developed 911 SC after 30 very happy years in moving to an RS-60 Spider. It was in every way so superior to that SC, so much fun I thought I'd bought my last Porsche. Then I drove the 991C2S when it launched. It is superb- no variant has tempted my since.

But now that they have fixed that silly top, and have the right engine and suspension, I'm feeling tempted.
The following users liked this post:
subshooter (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

if you're going to look at Boxster spyder, why not a c8 Corvette?

My vote over a GT4 or Spyder.... I would be looking out for this

in convertible form!

Last edited by snake eyes; 08-23-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Spyder. Hands down. Looks better and more fun to drive.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:40 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

totally different cars.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:52 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

If value holding is your thing, the Spyder will have your current wheels beat. You said you don't think you'll track much and want an open top... Sounds like an easy decision to me. Go for it!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

If they dropped the 3.0 from the 991.2 in the Spyder I would consider it....no more NAs for me (after the 991 Speedster, if I get one).
Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 PM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Here's the thing....Porsche is probably under-rating that Box Spy like they often do with small-run edition cars. They are advertising 395 hp to keep the 911 guys from having a stroke, but I bet if you actually put one on the dyno it would be more like 425 hp. That's pretty much how Porsche rolls on the "detuned" engines so I don;'t think you will see a performance issue. And, the Boxster will out-handle the 911's all day long when pushed hard (I've owned them both).

That's precisely why I don't like driving my Z4 M Roadster and a key reason why it could never be my only car.

Originally Posted by Hp12c
you know, it might make a difference what else is in your stable...

I actually think a 991 makes an amazing "only car" because its so good at everything, or maybe an "only enthusiast car" + dd, but in my experience it doesn't play nicely with other cars you might have, because its almost always the obvious choice for almost everything.

To be precise, I happen to have a REALLY nice '81 merc 380slc, that unfortunately doesn't get as much attention as it deserves because my 991.2 C2S MT is both a great performance car AND a great long distance steed, and I've asked myself, would something less multi-dimensional be a better complement to the merc (which is a cruiser)?

The boxster spyder seems very much to be a great fit like that, totally sporty, made for top down weather, etc.
I used to drive my Z4 M religiously any chance I get but slowly the 991.1 has done to it exactly what has happened to your Merc. Its a beautiful car and I would hate to part with it but the 991 is just too well rounded and enjoyable more often than not especially when the weather hits.

Boxster Spyder being mid engined and now a 4L NA engine I would say it would be the car of choice when the weather is nice, you only need a day trip or two and your passengers are <= 1. Is it at all possible to keep the 911 GTS? You'd have an amazing stable although perhaps not as diverse as some others.

Quick Reply: Would you rather? 991.1 GTS Manual or 2020 Boxster Spyder