Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuned 991.2 PDK Redline Shift Bounce/Flutter- MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 12:29 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Mitch did 3 maps for me and I'm running the lowest hp tune right now. It's 542hp/502tq from the World Motorsports dyno on 91 octane. Our 60-130 Dragy times are very similar, so I would say our tunes have similar hp/tq.

I do not get the flutter at any redline shift points with this tune, but do with the higher maps. But Launch is still useless, around 4secs 0-60.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:15 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Forgive me for not knowing exactly what model car you have.
If you have a targa then I would suspect we do have similar tunes and HP, if you are in a coupe then probably not as my car is 400 lbs heavier.

Interesting that the higher maps caused you problems as well, clearly it is a boost/torque/hp limitation from the car's ECU.
Turn everything down a bit and no flutter.

There is a Launch setting in the tune. My tuner tweaked mine and I get minimal wheel spin.
With launch mode, sometimes less is more. Meaning if Mitch tuned yours like he did mine, he had it boosted way too high.
The car would spin and cause the 1st to 2nd to 3rd shift prematurely. Turning DOWN the boost, lets the car accelerate closer to redline before shifting and the 0-60 time will drop.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:23 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 403 Posts

Just a note. Cali 91 Octane is really bad. 93 octane east of the Rockies will make about 10% more power. So fsmich is down about 10% due to fuel octane and pts is about 10% heavier. So expect about equal acceleration.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 AM
GGalo Gan
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey PTS, I cant seem to private message you. Can you DM me on who custom tuned your COBB? Im in NY so Greenwich is not that far of a drive from me and IM really interested in a tune. Thanks!

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Ok, a follow up for those who are interested.

The car was re-tuned. The car no longer exhibits the 3-4 flutter issue. The issue has to do with a myriad of factors like boost, timing, AF ratio, etc.
It takes that special mix to get a tune to exhibit the shift problem. I would say 95% will never have this problem and to replicate it is difficult.
So, the solution really is just to re tune the car. You have a 95% chance that the new tune will eliminate the problem.

Cobb is re releasing their OTS maps with reduced boost and other factors to completely eliminate this from happening.
I'm not a real fan of the solution, but it will eliminate this issue 100% on all OTS maps, so you get less gains but zero problems.
If you want to get the most out of your car a Pro Tune is really the way to go. They take a stock MAP and customize it to your specific car and components.

For me, the new tune actually picked up 25hp and torque. The car is now around 483hp to the wheels from 458hp previously.
On the dyno, the car actually started to hop or bounce from all of the torque/hp which was kind of scary but, this dyno is one that ties down on front and rear and not down.

I did some runs this morning and I did Dragy it. The car ran nearly identical to the old tune (maybe a hair slower) but no misshifts.
Still trying to figure out how adding 25hp/torque isnt translating to a faster car, but maybe it needs some time to adapt.
In any case, the car not mis shifting is the best scenario for me. Problem solved.

PS: My tuner did NOT dial down the boost. He changed some timing and other tweaks, We are running 28lb boost, which is as high as the last tune.
Anyone interested in using him, he is a traveling tuner and travels the world tuning any and all cars.

Shout out to Mike Botti
Instagram stimikey
Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

I don't think you have enough posts to send or receive PM's as I tried to message you as well.

Mike Botti is his name and he can be reached through Instagram. His account in stimikey

I will try and reach out to him on your behalf as well, but he is not easy to reach.

Quick Reply: Tuned 991.2 PDK Redline Shift Bounce/Flutter- MASTER THREAD