Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuned 991.2 PDK Redline Shift Bounce/Flutter- MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

^^^ Who is the main tuner at Cobb these days? Back in the subaru days Lance Lucas was the man behind most the tunes.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:42 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Ok, a follow up for those who are interested.

The car was re-tuned. The car no longer exhibits the 3-4 flutter issue. The issue has to do with a myriad of factors like boost, timing, AF ratio, etc.
It takes that special mix to get a tune to exhibit the shift problem. I would say 95% will never have this problem and to replicate it is difficult.
So, the solution really is just to re tune the car. You have a 95% chance that the new tune will eliminate the problem.

Cobb is re releasing their OTS maps with reduced boost and other factors to completely eliminate this from happening.
I'm not a real fan of the solution, but it will eliminate this issue 100% on all OTS maps, so you get less gains but zero problems.
If you want to get the most out of your car a Pro Tune is really the way to go. They take a stock MAP and customize it to your specific car and components.

For me, the new tune actually picked up 25hp and torque. The car is now around 483hp to the wheels from 458hp previously.
On the dyno, the car actually started to hop or bounce from all of the torque/hp which was kind of scary but, this dyno is one that ties down on front and rear and not down.

I did some runs this morning and I did Dragy it. The car ran nearly identical to the old tune (maybe a hair slower) but no misshifts.
Still trying to figure out how adding 25hp/torque isnt translating to a faster car, but maybe it needs some time to adapt.
In any case, the car not mis shifting is the best scenario for me. Problem solved.

PS: My tuner did NOT dial down the boost. He changed some timing and other tweaks, We are running 28lb boost, which is as high as the last tune.
Anyone interested in using him, he is a traveling tuner and travels the world tuning any and all cars.

Shout out to Mike Botti
Instagram stimikey
Old 08-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

PTS im excited you got it fixed!!! Re: being “slower” its probably because youre not spending 2 seconds at redline in 3rd gear
Old 08-15-2019, 10:51 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I did some runs this morning and I did Dragy it. The car ran nearly identical to the old tune (maybe a hair slower) but no misshifts.
Still trying to figure out how adding 25hp/torque isnt translating to a faster car, but maybe it needs some time to adapt.
In any case, the car not mis shifting is the best scenario for me. Problem solved.
Shout out to Mike Botti
Instagram stimikey
Good news.

Why is the car no faster despite increased peak numbers? Area under the curve.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:54 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Check the DA between runs also. And if you ran a bunch of times before dragy it couldve been heat soaked
Old 08-15-2019, 09:06 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I do not know why the car isnt noticeably faster. I am going to test it on a different dyno where it cant hop, to get more accurate numbers.
Regardless, its plenty fast. I looked at the leaderboard on Dragy and my car is right up there with the Turbo S models, so Im ok with were I am now
Old 08-16-2019, 01:08 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Id take the new calibration without pdk misbehavior ANY day regardless of small power differences. If that was my car bouncing off the limiter all over the place id be spooked as hell. Like the tranny was trying to save itself. Im glad u got it fixed just enjoy the buttery smooth pdk
Old 08-16-2019, 01:46 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts
Thumbs up

Shout out to Mike Botti
Instagram stimikey
Good update with a great outcome.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:51 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Ok, a follow up for those who are interested.

The car was re-tuned. The car no longer exhibits the 3-4 flutter issue. The issue has to do with a myriad of factors like boost, timing, AF ratio, etc.
It takes that special mix to get a tune to exhibit the shift problem. I would say 95% will never have this problem and to replicate it is difficult.
So, the solution really is just to re tune the car. You have a 95% chance that the new tune will eliminate the problem.

Cobb is re releasing their OTS maps with reduced boost and other factors to completely eliminate this from happening.
I'm not a real fan of the solution, but it will eliminate this issue 100% on all OTS maps, so you get less gains but zero problems.
If you want to get the most out of your car a Pro Tune is really the way to go. They take a stock MAP and customize it to your specific car and components.

For me, the new tune actually picked up 25hp and torque. The car is now around 483hp to the wheels from 458hp previously.
On the dyno, the car actually started to hop or bounce from all of the torque/hp which was kind of scary but, this dyno is one that ties down on front and rear and not down.

PS: My tuner did NOT dial down the boost. He changed some timing and other tweaks, We are running 28lb boost, which is as high as the last tune.
Anyone interested in using him, he is a traveling tuner and travels the world tuning any and all cars.

Shout out to Mike Botti
Instagram stimikey
Old 08-16-2019, 09:45 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

RENN "Id take the new calibration without pdk misbehavior ANY day regardless of small power differences"

So, would I but the strange thing is that the car tuned stronger the second time around and produced more hp/tq.
I am not complaining about the car being incrementally slower, I am curious how it could pump out higher numbers and still be slower.

Again, the car was hopping on the dyno, I should ask the tuner for the graph to show the bumps on the chart.
​​​​​​​I am going to do a run on a different dyno and publish the results. Hard to get an accurate reading when car is bouncing.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

BBI info. I would call to discuss your issue.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:02 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Jack, but the problem has been solved.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:17 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 403 Posts

Mike botti is well known in the Subaru tuning world. He's good.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:22 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

"For me, the new tune actually picked up 25hp and torque. The car is now around 483hp to the wheels from 458hp previously.
On the dyno, the car actually started to hop or bounce from all of the torque/hp which was kind of scary but, this dyno is one that ties down on front and rear and not down"

PTS, is this the same dyno you originally used to get 458hp? With your fast Dragy times, that seems really low. I would guess any other dyno is going to read higher than that one.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:50 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I have used this dyno and one other. It is well known to be the absolute lowest reading dyno in the area and the owner is aware of it.
This is the same dyno that was reading 458, it is now reading 476hp with the hop.
I do believe it is producing more than the dyno is reading, which is why I am going to do a run on a 3rd dyno to see if I can get a cleaner reading.

Car is running very strong and is very close to the previous Dragy numbers and no longer has any bounce or flutter so its a win for me

Quick Reply: Tuned 991.2 PDK Redline Shift Bounce/Flutter- MASTER THREAD