Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint on rear targa window?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 05:23 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Window tint on rear targa window?

Just wondering if people here have had their rear window tinted successfully on a targa.

My guy is telling me it's so large and the curvature of the window makes it near impossible to do a perfect tint application.

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

My Targa rear window is tinted, along with a friend of mine in the area. Both installations were a PITA, and both installations are perfect.

Bottom line: it can be done. Get a good installer. The younger (limber) the better.

DaveGee
Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I had my installer do the side windows but I am going back to have him take a crack at it. I did contact a couple other local tinters though and they said it can be done but as Dave said it is not easy, and if it is not done right it will start to peel. I am thinking that if the top is in the maintenance position it may be a little easier.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 PM
harlandoc
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why the heck would you want to tint the window on a Targa or, for that matter, any 911? Are you a pimp?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harlandoc
Why the heck would you want to tint the window on a Targa or, for that matter, any 911? Are you a pimp?
Really?! Go away troll.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:08 PM
harlandoc
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sorry

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Really?! Go away troll.
Relax, buddy. When I first read this post, I thought it was a joke, as I’ve never seen tinted windows on a Targa and could not fathom that anyone would seriously do that. Well, please accept my apologies.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harlandoc
Relax, buddy. When I first read this post, I thought it was a joke, as I’ve never seen tinted windows on a Targa and could not fathom that anyone would seriously do that. Well, please accept my apologies.
We're good, sorry to jump the gun, but it just seemed strange for someone to question tinting a Targa since it is just a bigger back window to me! Again, I had my sides done, which is always a must, and now the back really needs some tint, not just because it looks kinda funny but all that glass back there allows a lot of sun in.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:01 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Tinting as a thermal barrier makes perfect sense, and in a light shade, e.g. 70%, no one would even know.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:18 AM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
Tinting as a thermal barrier makes perfect sense, and in a light shade, e.g. 70%, no one would even know.
+1
Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 AM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Mine are tinted, but it took the installer a good amount of time. Took multiple attempts and ceramic tint would not work on it.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:53 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

JSETarga is correct.

I had 3 different installers take multiple attempts at tinting the rear glass with CERAMIC tint. It CANNOT be done with ceramic tint.
I have heard that it has been done successfully in one piece with standard tint. It is not easy and most installers cannot do it.

Why tint? The targa has more glass than any other car I know of and in the sun you can fry an egg in the heat.
Ceramic tint reduces the amount of heat in the car and is essentially invisible for most people.

I think you are confusing standard LIMO tint to the fine percentages of modern tint. Ceramic in particular, has very little color to it (the one I chose) and works well.

FYI I chose 3m Crystalline
Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Too bad you can't apply a thermal/UV barrier on the outside, that would hold up, much like the front windshield films people have applied for stone chip protection and UV blocking??
The following users liked this post:
justabout (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 AM
eroc0808
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

As a retired window tinter of over 20 years, I can say this can absolutely be done super clean in one piece by an EXPERIENCED tinter. It might sound funny but the back glass is just like a C6 corvette so you may want to poke around on a vette forum to find out who those guys use. Vette guys are the most **** of all car owners. If it means you need to travel a little bit so be it. Its a little tricky to shrink and shape the film and you either grasp how to do it or you don't, there is no in between. I've worked with several great window tinters that could never do a back glass on a vette in one piece. Certain films are easier to work with and have a much higher tolerance to shrinking the film down. Films such as ceramic or 3M crystalline usually can not shrink enough for a window that is that compound curved so your choices of tint will be limited if you want the glass done in one piece with no seam. I've never tried a Targa with anything ceramic or crystalline because I just knew it would probably not work as I could not get it to shrink right on the vettes either. But I've done a handful of Targas with 3M FX Premium and it's a decent film. The trick with the Targa, aside from shrinking film, is cutting it out a hair short so that it looks like you will have light gaps around the sides and cut the top and bottom flush. When you install it on the inside the film will be a perfect fit because the inside of the glass is shorter than the outside of the glass from side to side because of the massive curvature and thickness of glass. Sure it will take someone doing one for the first time a few tries till they have the 'ah ha' moment. I fortunately had about 100 corvettes under my belt before I saw my first Targa. My first Targa took me 2 tries. The shrink to me is easy, it was not realizing that I needed to cut it a hair short on sides that made me have to throw it out because it bunched up slightly and got dust in the side edges.
The following users liked this post:
fastforddriver (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:12 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I went with 35 sides and 20 back. Both for thermo and darker back for some privacy since I like to leave things back there. The first application the sides came our perfect, but when the sun hit the back I had about a 1/4" gap on one side. I am happy with the 35/20. They redid the back and it looks pretty good, but there's a couple of small dust spots. I'm now debating to leave it as-is or have it redone again.
'
Old 08-10-2019, 05:48 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 125 Posts

My rear is tinted but I bought it used that way already

Quick Reply: Window tint on rear targa window?