Sponsored by:

Door pocket in my 911 has gone 'limp'

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 02:27 AM
bartdecrem
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door pocket in my 911 has gone 'limp'

Hi guys, I have a 'New' 2012 Porsche 911 S, Convertible. Love it.

All of a sudden, the drivers side door pocket went 'limp'. I'm talking about the little side pocket in the door that has a little latch you fold open and then you put stuff like hand lotion or whatever in there. When I push it shut, it just opens right back up within about 10 seconds.

A friend looked into this and concluded that the only fix for this is to replace the entire large part called Door Pocket and it involves a ton of labor to do that. Or, maybe the part is not actually broken but is 'dislodged' and needs to be reset which also seems to involved quite a bit of specialized labor. Sounds like easily over $1k to fix. Yikes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggested fixes or workarounds? I'm tempted to velcro but first attempt failed because there's not a lot of flat surface area on both sides... Picture below. I also made a video showing the behavior, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq06...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-08-2019, 05:04 AM
hartmn
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bartdecrem

All of a sudden, the drivers side door pocket went 'limp'. I'm talking about the little side pocket in the door that has a little latch you fold open and then you put stuff like hand lotion or whatever in there. When I push it shut, it just opens right back up within about 10 seconds.

A friend looked into this and concluded that the only fix for this is to replace the entire large part called Door Pocket and it involves a ton of labor to do that. Or, maybe the part is not actually broken but is 'dislodged' and needs to be reset which also seems to involved quite a bit of specialized labor. Sounds like easily over $1k to fix. Yikes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggested fixes or workarounds? I'm tempted to velcro but first attempt failed because there's not a lot of flat surface area on both sides... Picture below. I also made a video showing the behavior, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq06...ature=youtu.be

Bart,

It sounds like there’s a lot more going on here than just a door pocket issue! Within your first paragraph you have described your drivers door pocket as “ went limp” and used for “ hand lotion” and popped back up in ten seconds! Are you sure this isn’t something for one of those little blue pills Sir? You should take it to the dealership then to the doctors to address either or both issue! They are both worthy of professional assistance as limp in anything is not something men want to experience whether in be in car door pockets or going to “pound city” 😜.

Have you taken it to the dealership to get a price? It could be $1000 dollars because it’s a Porsche. Or it could be less. I don’t see a why out other than taking it some place or buying the parts and DIY yourself which can just lead to you “screwing things up”. Pun intended!

good luck

Eric

Eric
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

This is a problem I have never heard of before and it would be interesting to see what the dealer recommends, just for ****s & giggles. The velcro idea is worth trying though although if you use it often it will not hold up very long.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bartdecrem

There are two springs located on the door pocket compartment that are accessible with the door panel removed. I would suggest you inspect the back side of the panel to confirm if the springs are dislodged, broken latch or worn.

Door Spring/s.

Door Paneling - Springs for Pocket Assembly.
The following 7 users liked this post by Sidvicious7:
I am the Walrus (08-08-2019), koven (08-08-2019), maschinetheist (09-27-2020), Porsche_nuts (08-08-2019), shammerman (08-09-2019), sr5959 (08-08-2019), worf928 (08-08-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
There are two springs located on the door pocket compartment that are accessible with the door panel removed. I would suggest you inspect the back side of the panel to confirm if the springs are dislodged, broken latch or worn.

Door Spring/s.

Excellent help offered here! That makes it very easy fit him to look into. Nice man!
Old 08-08-2019, 11:08 AM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

I agree! Nice job sidvicious! This forum is brilliant!
Old 08-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I should have known Sid could help, which he did for me yesterday in regards to the memory button surround piece. Here is a good video to help removing the door panel:
Old 08-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,190 Likes on 715 Posts

Sid is awesome. Seems to always find the answer!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Sid is awesome. Seems to always find the answer!

Thanks, I appreciate your support. Glad to help all!
Old 08-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 751 Posts

Nice helping hand Sid V. Really clear instructions.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Nice helping hand Sid V. Really clear instructions.

Thx Penn4S.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 PM
Zanotti
Racer

Received 336 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

Door Spring/s.

Did you put the "soundskin" on as aftermarket? Why - to reduce outside noise or to add to the audio inside?

Where else did you add it?

Last edited by Zanotti; 08-08-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Another question....
Old 08-09-2019, 02:25 AM
bartdecrem
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

guys this is super helpful! Gonna try to fix this with these tips! much thanks.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Love you guys

I used to be quite frequent with TRF (The Rolex Forum) but I am no longer interested in there anymore. 5 years ago, we used to talk about mechanical movements or horological history, nowadays only whiners and bitching about AD and prices and values and it got old and boring.
Rennlist over the years are totally opposite beside a few threads about market values and help first timer getting the right car, you guys are super helpful with little things like spring in the door panel. Love it.
The following 2 users liked this post by gotgolf52:
CPL55 (09-27-2020), maschinetheist (09-27-2020)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zanotti
Did you put the "soundskin" on as aftermarket? Why - to reduce outside noise or to add to the audio inside?

Where else did you add it?

I added the Soundskin only on the back side of the door paneling to improve the sound quality of the audio primarily. The Soundskin product I used is thinner and reduced weight specifically made for car door installation. Did it help? In my opinion it improved the sound coming from the door speakers and at the same time reduced the road noise.

Quick Reply: Door pocket in my 911 has gone 'limp'