Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So this happened...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:41 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Or move to west TX where the speed limit is 85.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
The LEOs story makes no sense. All police departments have high speed pursuit protocols and I doubt if any of them involve no lights and sirens. Watch PD live sometime. When in a high speed pursuit and a citizen gets in their way, they usually go around or force them right with the lights and siren. If he was really in a felony chase, there is no way a speeding violation would take precedence. More than likely he was in a hurry to get somewhere and the car he was following was another undercover. I actually had that happen to me sometime back. Two cars (actually unmarked US govt) were booking through traffic and I stupidly decided to join them. They were going almost triple digits and when they saw me following, one dropped back and pulled me over. The guy was out of uniform but had a badge. He could not write a moving violation (probably because of jurisdiction regs and the fact he was not uniformed), told me to wait by the side of the road for a CHP. No CHP ever showed up so I left.

As others have recommended, I would get an attorney because if that 100 mph stands you will probably have insurance problems for the next few years. And count yourself lucky that you don't live in CA; that fine would be over a grand. We pay $500-600 just for a 10 mph over the limit ticket. With "drivers school" you can add $200-300 more.
The more I think about it the more it sounds like what you are suggesting. The Vehicle in front me looked almost exactly like the one behind me. Both same color SUVs. If he really was in "pursuit" like he claimed he would have flashed his lights on and off to get me out of the way and then went about his business.

I'm betting it was 2 cop cars speeding along and he got annoyed that I pulled in between. Since he wasn't actually doing anything work related othere than breaking the law he tailgated me hoping I would move over. I honestly believe if I hadn't have passed cop #1 and just moved over they would have went on without hassling me. Attorney has been retained. If for nothing other than the experience. I'm betting if he was speeding for no reason he won't show up for the court date.
The following 2 users liked this post by mwlmd:
MOWE (08-01-2019), sr5959 (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 11:23 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I hope your attorney makes a fool out of this cop. So many of them are entitled and spiteful. You got bullied.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 11:45 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Make sure you let us know the outcome!
Old 08-01-2019, 11:51 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fappds
The same thing happened to me a few years ago, I was in my scrubs going to the hospital in my x5 one late morning after rush hour, very similar situation, I entered the highway , was traveling in the right lane, looked in the rear view mirror saw no one but a green compact car way back in the left lane, there was a truck in front of me , so hit my blinkers and changed into left lane traveling the speed limit, several seconds later that green car was on my ***, there was no one in right lane at this point, i sped up to create some distance and this car was still on my me, so i sped up a little more, well at 80 this green car which was a unmarked police car started flashing, i pulled over right away, he immediately tried to justify why he was pulling me over, i said the same thing you did, how was I supposed to know you were a police car, and there was the right lane to go around me, I literally told him i felt he was messing with me and felt like i needed to outrun him , he was speechless, and just walked away from me looking pissed off. No ticket thank God, the whole thing was very bizarre to me.
Illegal to conduct a stop in an unmarked police car in California, not that a cop would likely care

Last edited by ajeffrey10; 08-02-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:09 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
The more I think about it the more it sounds like what you are suggesting. The Vehicle in front me looked almost exactly like the one behind me. Both same color SUVs. If he really was in "pursuit" like he claimed he would have flashed his lights on and off to get me out of the way and then went about his business.

I'm betting it was 2 cop cars speeding along and he got annoyed that I pulled in between. Since he wasn't actually doing anything work related othere than breaking the law he tailgated me hoping I would move over. I honestly believe if I hadn't have passed cop #1 and just moved over they would have went on without hassling me. Attorney has been retained. If for nothing other than the experience. I'm betting if he was speeding for no reason he won't show up for the court date.
Good luck. I hope you get the violation reduced. Unfortunately you got goaded into excessive speed but understandable.
In my neck of the woods, MA and NH, state troopers routinely travel at high speeds in the left lane without their lights on. Lots of black unmarked cars. On many occasions, I have seen them speed to a favorite hiding spot on the highway to set up a speed trap. Genuine law-abiding heroes these guys.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:33 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Get a lawyer if for nothing else to get the recorded speed reduced. No points is great but insurance companies love this type of situation to slap you upside the head. They know if you try to switch with a fresh fine like this it will be problematic.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:03 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

I am curious where in Portland you were driving? The roads here are so crappy It's pretty hard to find a place to drive the speed limit let alone 100 mph. Sounds like a frame to me. Sounds like he played you to see how fast you'd go.

I was pulled over in Washington a couple weeks ago for passing on the right in passing zone. All the cars in front of me stayed in the left lane when a passing lane opened up so I moved over to the right a took off. One of the cars turns out to be a cop. He pulled out and turned the lights on. He lectured me about passing on the right and ended saying "nice car" and let me go with a warning.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:10 AM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I am curious where in Portland you were driving? The roads here are so crappy It's pretty hard to find a place to drive the speed limit let alone 100 mph. Sounds like a frame to me. Sounds like he played you to see how fast you'd go.

I was pulled over in Washington a couple weeks ago for passing on the right in passing zone. All the cars in front of me stayed in the left lane when a passing lane opened up so I moved over to the right a took off. One of the cars turns out to be a cop. He pulled out and turned the lights on. He lectured me about passing on the right and ended saying "nice car" and let me go with a warning.
5 north between tualatin and lake oswego
Old 08-02-2019, 02:32 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Illegal to conduct a stop in an unmarked police car in California, not that a cop would likely care
The car can be "unmarked" (the CHP is using some of these now, not B&W, monochrome with some markings on the door) but the officer must be in uniform. An undercover plain clothes probably cannot write a citation but can serve as a witness against you if a uniform officer writes it up. Especially for triple digit (ie reckless driving) speeds.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:50 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Once in traffic school, I asked the instructor (who was retired CHP) if LEOs can break traffic laws in the course of normal (non -pursuit) business. He told me they do not have to obey any traffic laws, pursuit or not. But they cannot take any actions that would endanger the public safety. Seems to me what that officer was doing borders on that standard. Probably why he let you off with the ticket he gave you. But if you show up in court claiming the officer was also recklessly speeding, it does not help you because he is not on trail, you are. I doubt if the "he made me go 130 mph" excuse will convince any judge that you are any less guilty. So best bet is to have your attorney plea bargain the charge down to 10 mph over the limit in exchange for a guilty plea of exceeding the speed limit.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:04 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilovemaui

In CA (not sure about Washington), passing on the right is not illegal. If done while exceeding the speed limit, it is. But its an unspoken sin to deprive other motorists their place in line, no matter how slowly they are going. So some LEOs will pull you over just to neutralize any time gain you might have had by the passing maneuver in the first place. Oh, and in CA you never pass a CHP on the right even if he is holding up miles of traffic by cruising in the left lane. I have seen some try to creep by at 1 to 2 mph faster and bingo, as soon as they clear he pulls them over.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

What was the officer driving?

Golden rule in PA (probably applicable for all States)... Before speeding up check your mirrors for:

Explorers
Chargers
Taurus
Expeditions
Tahoes

It only takes a few seconds to scan, if the coast is clear smash that loud pedal until your heart gets enough.
The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 09:21 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

YES!!! The ****er he was pursuing got away. Keep in mind that a minivan doing 100mph is a huge red flag. Was probably stolen or full of meth or human traffiking victims. Good thing he pulled ME over. LOL. The ticket says 100 in a 55.
Get a lawyer. Stop commenting.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:07 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sorry you are in this predicament.

While the LEO's may not have been doing everything as we (or the procedures manual) would like, I think we owe it to ourselves to keep ourselves out of jeopardy.

Merging quickly to the left lane before getting the feel for traffic (as mentioned above) put you in jeopardy. 8 car lengths of space between two vehicles at 89 miles per hour is what they call bump-drafting in NASCAR. The police weren't using radar so your detector remained silent. Waze doesn't track moving police cars, so Waze would not have warned you. Patience and powers of observation would have saved you. Had you remained a safe distance behind the SUV in front of you and moved right at your earliest opportunity you would have minimized your jeopardy.

Applying 12 lbs of boost exaggerated the situation. Perhaps you were exhausted from a long day. I think we'd agree in hindsight that's not a good condition to be lighting the fuse on a Turbo S.

You're lucky it was an LEO and not some drug-enraged pistol happy lunatic you cut in front of... this could have ended much worse for the guy wearing scrubs driving the fancy car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911sccab:
subwoofer (08-02-2019), T3X4S (08-02-2019)

Quick Reply: So this happened...