Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So this happened...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 PM
exduluthian
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah, the need to "tell my side of the story." A cop's favorite ploy in all of the police procedurals on TV. I never practiced criminal law, except by accident, but I was in the courtroom one day when a taxi driver told "his side of the story" to the judge. The cop was wrong, he wasn't 15 over, he was "only 2 or three miles over the limit," and if he got a ticket he wouldn't be able to drive the cab and earn a living. (I don't remember if or what his priors were.) Long story short: admission of guilt, therefore guilty. You have two elements going for you: a likely pro-medical professional bias, and the tailgating cop. OTOH, you could have moved over, could have remained in the initial lane of travel, and have admitted to a speed that will lose you your license for a while in my home state. Pick and choose from the above advice, but the best pieces are to take this off-line and hire a lawyer who is local and good. As the top of my paper clip box says, "A good lawyer knows the law. A great lawyer knows the judge."
Old 08-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Get a lawyer, get it dropped down, especially with your clean driving record. They just want their money. Whether they get their money from a 100 in a 55 ticket or a bunch of random other tickets, they probably won't care.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I say pay it and move on. Sounds like you got pretty lucky.

I goy busted doing 109 in a 55. So. Many. Tickets.

I hired the local PD and he worked magic. Reckless down to careless. 109 down to 65. Threw out the rest.

4 points. Took the course (horrible 6-7 hours online) and now have 2 points.

I now watch me speed pretty carefully.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Doesn't sound like bad luck to me. Sounds like poor judgement.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gordon Shumway:
911sccab (08-02-2019), anythingbuttime (08-05-2019), rockrdude (08-02-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 07:13 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

if oregon has no point system, does insurance rates not go up from tickets/points? if there was no point system with insurance rates being raised, i would just drive how i wanted and wouldnt really care about getting tickets tbh.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:43 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeL31
if oregon has no point system, does insurance rates not go up from tickets/points? if there was no point system with insurance rates being raised, i would just drive how i wanted and wouldnt really care about getting tickets tbh.
No point system. However if you have 3 tickets in an 18month period your license is suspended.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Doesn't sound like bad luck to me. Sounds like poor judgement.
I agree that changing lanes in front of a speeding car is bad judgement. The fact that it was an unmarked police car is bad luck.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
So he pulled me over. I apologized. I Still had my scrubs and hospital ID on as I had literally just left the OR. Told him I was in a rush to get home and that he was travelling quite fast. He said he was in pursuit of the car in front of me I that I cut him off with no turn signal. I asked how I was supposed to know he was a LEO in pursuit with no lights etc on? That was the end of the conversation. I apologized and he said he would cut me a break. He said he was at 101mph and that when I rapidly pulled away he hit the lights. So end of story he cited me for speeding violation and fail to signal. Total fine $560. No court appearance needed. Just send payment and move on. First ticket I have had in 7 years. Oregon does not have a point system. I am thinking I just pay it and learn. My feeling is If I appear in court and the judge learns my actual speed was 130ish that might be a problem. Keep in mind it would be a guess since he was measuring my speed by pacing.
The LEOs story makes no sense. All police departments have high speed pursuit protocols and I doubt if any of them involve no lights and sirens. Watch PD live sometime. When in a high speed pursuit and a citizen gets in their way, they usually go around or force them right with the lights and siren. If he was really in a felony chase, there is no way a speeding violation would take precedence. More than likely he was in a hurry to get somewhere and the car he was following was another undercover. I actually had that happen to me sometime back. Two cars (actually unmarked US govt) were booking through traffic and I stupidly decided to join them. They were going almost triple digits and when they saw me following, one dropped back and pulled me over. The guy was out of uniform but had a badge. He could not write a moving violation (probably because of jurisdiction regs and the fact he was not uniformed), told me to wait by the side of the road for a CHP. No CHP ever showed up so I left.

As others have recommended, I would get an attorney because if that 100 mph stands you will probably have insurance problems for the next few years. And count yourself lucky that you don't live in CA; that fine would be over a grand. We pay $500-600 just for a 10 mph over the limit ticket. With "drivers school" you can add $200-300 more.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
I agree that changing lanes in front of a speeding car is bad judgement. The fact that it was an unmarked police car is bad luck.

OK, I'll give you that.

BTW, good luck escaping this with minimal consequences.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:17 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

If it does't impact insurance and points, I'd pay the fine and move on. Take it as a learning.

If it does impact your insurance, then I would fight it.

There is a scheduled court date on your ticket which is based on when the officer is available - that date is convenient for him, not you. First thing to do is call the clerk of the court and get it moved because you are on night shift, vacation or travel....blah blah blah. This will increase the chances that the revised court date is when the police officer is on vacation, off shift, doing something else or just inconvenient to him. If he doesn't show, you walk away with nothing except maybe a small court fee. If he does show up, the junior DA will sit down with you and offer you a compromise solution to avoid a trial and waste the judges time. Your case would be much more easy to defend since the officer did not clock you, he paced you. (Check out your ticket to see what method he used to validate your speed). Don't freak out about the words DA and Trial. It's routine and you have nothing to lose.

I've literally done this several times (although never traveling anywhere near that fast) and won. The last time, I had to take it to trial because the cop showed up (even after I moved the date) and I lost. Took it to appeals court (after I again moved that date several times). I saw the cop there again and knew I would lose so I made a plea deal with the DA and cut my points to 2. I was doing 81 in a 65. The funny thing was that I had my radar detector on and it was blaring like crazy but I couldn't hear it because I was jamming to Led Zepplin. LMAO.

It's interesting to see the court system work at a minimum. You get to hear everybody's sad story.

Here is a guide. There is a section on how to fight a ticket that was clocked by pacing.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter6-2.html
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Opt for Trail by Written Declaration if you have the option. Much more successful then rocking the Member/11-99 Foundation license plate frame. I'm on a moto, my mirrors are pointless to check my 6 and it's tough to do the speed limit. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2019, 09:09 PM
MOWE
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 08-01-2019, 09:12 PM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

what i dont understand is why do you speed away to "get away" from it instead of just moving over and let the guy pass? cops prey on people like this
The following 2 users liked this post by K C:
911sccab (08-02-2019), anythingbuttime (08-05-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Get a lawyer, preferably that is best buddies with the judge and/or DA.
Mine got my misdemeanor class B (6 month jail) down to petty speed and 2 month probation. No points. Expunged after the 60 days
Pay to play. Sad way to find out you're a grown up.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I would change lanes to the left too, if I had a Turbo with your mods lol. Pay it and move on. No points, no hassle. You’ll spend more time and money on a lawyer. Insurance gets a copy, you won’t see a difference in rates. Not with your good driving record.

Quick Reply: So this happened...