Sponsored by:

Navigation update

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 03:02 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default nav

If your asking me if the I think the update is worth it , I don't know it's not working .
I talked to the service manager this morning and he is sending someone to pick up the car and drop off a loaner , while they figure out the problem.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:20 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My service advisor advised me not to do it. I did not take his advise and, though I had difficulties, it works. After all, who does not have difficulties with Porsche; particularly dealing with PCNA? However, when I was informed on this forum, that my dealer could not load the maps with my purchase, they contacted PCNA to get instructions and discovered they did not have the appropriate maps and all we had were the keys to access the maps if they were available. Now they tell me they notified each dealership of the procedure to secure up-to-date maps. Not true! I notified my dealership to get the correct maps and treat us appropriately. They could not figure out how to do it.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:55 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
My service advisor advised me not to do it. I did not take his advise and, though I had difficulties, it works. After all, who does not have difficulties with Porsche; particularly dealing with PCNA? However, when I was informed on this forum, that my dealer could not load the maps with my purchase, they contacted PCNA to get instructions and discovered they did not have the appropriate maps and all we had were the keys to access the maps if they were available. Now they tell me they notified each dealership of the procedure to secure up-to-date maps. Not true! I notified my dealership to get the correct maps and treat us appropriately. They could not figure out how to do it.
I've lived all over the US and in Stuttgart (three dealerships in Stuttgart alone) and all of the dealerships I've dealt with tended to need some help when it comes to these types of things. That's the value of this forum.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:06 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PacPaliPorsche
After all of that work (and reviewing the other thread etc) - did you feel the map update was worth it?
It helped in my local area. My nav used to send me the long way home adding 15 minutes compared to what Waze/Google maps. The new update doesn't do it anymore.

It's going to be very localized as to whether or not it is worth it and there really isn't a place that I know of to see the specific details.

But, based on the fact that you have a 911, are on Rennlist, and are asking about the map update, you are probably like many of us who will get it. If not, it will just bug you and you will always wonder if where the nav is taking you is accurate.

I like having in-car nav and not having to rely on a cellular signal. I don't get solid cell coverage where I live and in a lot of places I drive, so it's an easy decision for me.

Good luck

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 07-29-2019 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PacPaliPorsche (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 PM
PacPaliPorsche
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I would really use it more to prevent fussing with my phone while driving; and, to your well-said point, my six-figure-price car should have an accurate nav that works well lol!
The following users liked this post:
Pavegeno928 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 04:49 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PacPaliPorsche
Thanks! I would really use it more to prevent fussing with my phone while driving; and, to your well-said point, my six-figure-price car should have an accurate nav that works well lol!
I added the ONLINE SERVICES software upgrade as my 2014 911 didn't have this option. Made searching for places far easier as it allows you a choice of either searching the PCM database or a Google search via your cell phone. Adds online weather as well that you can access, however it does not show up on your map.

I'm also doing Sirius/XM weather and traffic. The traffic is decent if you are near an interstate or metro area. The weather is similar to online services weather and it does display rudimentary graphics on your map like the old TV news weather with sunshine, rain, and fog symbols. Does not give you a radar overlay which is what I'd really like to have. I just use my cell phone for that.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:54 PM
kiddoutlaw
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
You should be at 4.76 Software version and it looks like you still have the old maps. There was an error loading the maps and software version. They didn't do anything for you.

There is another thread on here whee we talk about this and exactly what DVDs they have to load for the two separate and distinct actions of updating software version of the PCM operating system and secondly, updating the maps to the new 2019 version. I'll dig it yup and post.
UnfortunatelyPCM3.1 with the 3.XX software cannot be updated to 4.XX. Older hardware.

Note: I have the same issue, though Tbounds if your dealer does something miraculous please let me know.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:58 PM
kiddoutlaw
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I added the ONLINE SERVICES software upgrade as my 2014 911 didn't have this option. Made searching for places far easier as it allows you a choice of either searching the PCM database or a Google search via your cell phone. Adds online weather as well that you can access, however it does not show up on your map.

I'm also doing Sirius/XM weather and traffic. The traffic is decent if you are near an interstate or metro area. The weather is similar to online services weather and it does display rudimentary graphics on your map like the old TV news weather with sunshine, rain, and fog symbols. Does not give you a radar overlay which is what I'd really like to have. I just use my cell phone for that.
Also those with 3.XX Software can't get the online services upgrade. Information courtesy of Suncoast, that was my other option..
Old 08-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Default Nav

Dealer says this is updated old roads still on current map

Old 08-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tbounds
Dealer says this is updated old roads still on current map

The error message is saying it is not loaded. It was attempted. I had the same message on mine, but they re-attempted the load and it works fine. See the post above about older software early in the 991 run might not be able to be updated. Need to have your dealer call the PCNA helpline and put in a ticket for help. You'll want your money back if they ordered something inappropriate for your car.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiddoutlaw
UnfortunatelyPCM3.1 with the 3.XX software cannot be updated to 4.XX. Older hardware.

Note: I have the same issue, though Tbounds if your dealer does something miraculous please let me know.
That sucks! They must have changed the software shortly after the 991s came out. I vaguely remember reading something about that.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Porsche sat nav is difficult to use at best and not intuitive. Same with the wife's 2019 MBZ, crap. If needed, google maps or Waze for me.
Just a waste of $$ for upgrade.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

I use my factory nav frequently. I find it to be easy to use, and it works well. I don’t like messing with my phone while I’m driving, and I usually put it in the glovebox.

Im planning to ask my dealer about the nav map update the next time I’m in for service.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:59 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

The Mercedes navigation is useless.

I find the Porsche navigation pretty easy to use, just hit the voice controll and say where you want to go. However, the route it picks is not as good as WAZE.

But I still use it if my phone is in my pocket and I am not using WAZE.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Default Nav

This is current pictures 1st 2 nd and 3rd pages of screen info
according to tech he said the pcm version does not update only the map software version and map data . I ask why a road of a major highway entrance and exit has not been updated . The road has been built for 4-5 years but still try’s and route me they old way thru town . He said just maybe maps were not complete from porsche

Quick Reply: Navigation update