Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any concern with Sport Plus all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 01:22 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Any concern with Sport Plus all the time?

I find I like Sport Plus mode more than Sport, as it seems the most responsive and also doesn't have the exhaust pops and cracks in Sport mode that can be a bit too much for my taste. I've read that Sport Plus can get the turbos really hot with the anti-lag since it always gives them a little fuel. Is there any concern with using Sport Plus all the time? Ideally, I think a Sport mode without the exhaust pops would be best. I've tried Sport mode with PSE disabled but the exhaust doesn't sound as good. I have my individual mode set to PSE on and auto stop disabled - which sounds pretty good but isn't as responsive as Sport or Sport Plus. Thanks
Old 07-25-2019, 01:25 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

You might have too much fun, that's bout it.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:49 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

PDK or manual?

Manual no problem. PDK I wouldn't do it.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:21 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm in sport plus 99% of the time. The throttle response is much sharper and I find rev matching easier.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:59 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
PDK or manual?

Manual no problem. PDK I wouldn't do it.
Manual Carrera T. Why not in a PDK?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

In Sport Plus, the oil is always going to be cooler, so, the downsides (for some may be) are:

1) Lower MPGs. You don't achieve the highest MPGs until the oil is in the +215 range
2) Since your oil is always running cooler, you're never going to cook off water in your oil.

On my manual 991.1 the oil is always about 194-198 in Sport Plus and in the 228-232 range when everything is hot in normal mode.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:02 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Manual Carrera T. Why not in a PDK?
Because it will hold every gear until redline
Old 07-25-2019, 03:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I've read that Sport Plus can get the turbos really hot with the anti-lag since it always gives them a little fuel.
Your turbos don't run on fuel, they run on exhaust gases. FYI.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:08 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Why not in a PDK?
Sport+ will hold gears excessively high in regular driving and shifts will be harder, causing more wear on the PDK.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:11 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Whatever...you bought a porsche...drive the crap out of it in sport plus and love it
Old 07-25-2019, 03:15 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Your turbos don't run on fuel, they run on exhaust gases. FYI.
To expand on this a bit for the OP...

My limited understanding is the way Porsche reduces turbo lag is by leaving the throttle partially open but cutting off fuel delivery. The partially open throttle lets air pass through the engine, which keeps the turbos spooling higher so they require less time to get spooled up very high when called.

Basically, it's doing the opposite of what you (the OP) were expecting. It's removing fuel to keep the turbos spooled. Cool, right?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I did an experiment last week where I drove home from work in Sport+ mode (surface streets). PDK in auto. It was interesting and different than my old 991.1. My old car would definitely hold gears, with maybe the exception of 1st. My 991.2 seems different. In Sport+ it adjusts to how you are driving. In stop and go, it doesn’t hold to redline. If you’re on it, different story. Shifts weren’t quite as rude as my old car. Need to play with it more.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:31 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
To expand on this a bit for the OP...

My limited understanding is the way Porsche reduces turbo lag is by leaving the throttle partially open but cutting off fuel delivery. The partially open throttle lets air pass through the engine, which keeps the turbos spooling higher so they require less time to get spooled up very high when called.

Basically, it's doing the opposite of what you (the OP) were expecting. It's removing fuel to keep the turbos spooled. Cool, right?
Sorry, I shouldn't have said giving them fuel, rather providing exhaust gasses to keep them spinning. I see a continual 1 psi of boost in off and low throttle situations when in Sport Plus. I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that this was done via some post-ignition fuel injection magic to generate some exhaust gas volume and heat to keep the turbos spinning. I read somewhere on here that Sport Plus really heats up the turbos because of this. Sounds like it doesn't work this way though and there is no risk of harm with Sport Plus all the time.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Been running in Sport+ (car has the manual gearbox) a lot lately, and I notice that even anti-lag seems to be smart—keeping 1psi going when I am on it but letting the turbos go to zero psi/vacuum when I am not.

Have to say I like the car better in Sport/Sport+ but still wish the auto-blipper was its own setting. That said, if you're on it with your heel-toe, it too seems to let you do your thing. Of course, it's there when you get it slightly wrong or are that bit late...which makes me wonder if it's assisting even when you think you've got it.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:42 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Been running in Sport+ (car has the manual gearbox) a lot lately, and I notice that even anti-lag seems to be smart—keeping 1psi going when I am on it but letting the turbos go to zero psi/vacuum when I am not.

Have to say I like the car better in Sport/Sport+ but still wish the auto-blipper was its own setting. That said, if you're on it with your heel-toe, it too seems to let you do your thing. Of course, it's there when you get it slightly wrong or are that bit late...which makes me wonder if it's assisting even when you think you've got it.
I've noticed this too. I was concerned auto-blip might get in the way but actually found it to be unobtrusive. Heel and toe seems to override the auto-blip. I too would prefer an independent on/off toggle for rev match though. Seems crazy to me that they didn't implement it that way.

Quick Reply: Any concern with Sport Plus all the time?