Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

It's black....that's what happened.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:08 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Take some more pics in direct sunlight and almost parallel to the car. Not so zoomed in unless you can get your camera to focus. The spiderweb swirls hurt my eyes.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:10 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Could it be dried polish/wax/soap?

Unless it is chips, one or washing, clay, polish, or bug and tar remover will take care of it.

The only way to keep a black car nice is to protect it AND never drive it.

I just waxed my jag meguirs black wax. Next time I will try the zymol black wax. I also need to do my truck. Unless you don’t care what it looks like, it is a full time job keeping up on a black vehicle.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Is the underside of the cover clean?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:25 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 552 Likes on 256 Posts

Your car is just going through puberty.. Get some Proactive and follow the directions.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Start Car Pro Iron X and then fo over with a claybar. Chemical guys has one and some lube that are cheap and use friendly. There are some higher end ones but this brand is very easy to use and learn on. This will remove contaminants.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...-carpro-iron-x
Old 07-24-2019, 12:58 PM
slythetove
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's time for you to either learn to detail a car or take it to a pro who knows how.

Here's the basic process:

Wash (by hand not some drive through)
Clay
Wash
(dry)
Polish (use an orbital buffer not a rotary if you are an amateur)
Apply sealant or wax of choice
Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by slythetove
It's time for you to either learn to detail a car or take it to a pro who knows how.

Here's the basic process:

Wash (by hand not some drive through)
Clay
Wash
(dry)
Polish (use an orbital buffer not a rotary if you are an amateur)
Apply sealant or wax of choice
^Exactly what he said.
There are a lot of vendors but here is a link to educate and explain ONE way of working this.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lou
So I have a 2016 Carrera 4 Black Edition. I bought it (following my lease) without PPF and after 3 years, I have more than my fair share of stone chips, but also deal with it by using Dr. Color Chip and regularly wash and wax. Last week, took the car to a hand car wash place, who I have used before, without any issues. Afterward I put the car in the garage and covered it. Today, when I went to get something out of the frunk, I felt the front bumper and it felt rough to the touch. I unfurl the cover a bit, and low and behold my entire hood and front fenders feel the same way. On close inspection there are tiny white specs, all over! This is apparently what's making the paint feel so rough...So I tried a little Griots quick detailer...nothing--I have no idea what this stuff is...anyone ever experience this before? Is this something that can be corrected easily, or am Iooking at a 3k paint correction bill?
What you are seeing is years of washing, drying, and taking a cover on and off. You've got relatively soft paint that is easily scratched, and no matter what you do, there is very little that is going to prevent light swirls from appearing.

If a hand wash or your use of a quick detailer isn't getting the white deposits off of the paint, then they probably have been there awhile.

You need to do 2 things (both of them, not just one):
  1. The car needs to be clayed to remove the overspray/sediment that has bonded on top of the surface of the paintwork
  2. The car needs to be polished in order to remove the light marring from the claying in step 1, as well as the swirls that are in the paintwork from the years of ownership
You cannot just clay the car alone, because this will create marring in the paintwork that will only add to the swirls you are seeing. You cannot just polish the paint, as this will not remove the bonded contaminants that are on top of the paint.

To best care for the car, go forward, be very specific in how you wash it and dry it; these actions are what caused the swirls in the first place. Additionally, avoid using a car cover, which acts as an abrasive to the paint over time.

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Paint is in terrible shape. I think they used harsh chemicals to wash and maybe tried "too hard" to scrub.
Harsh chemicals would cause a type of etching or staining, but they would not cause what the OP is seeing. Something has landed on the surface of the paint and bonded to it.
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 07-24-2019, 03:31 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Esoteric_Detail

Harsh chemicals would cause a type of etching or staining, but they would not cause what the OP is seeing. Something has landed on the surface of the paint and bonded to it.
It won't cause that but it could strip the wax/products off and cause the rough feeling as well as expose what may have been underwent the products with dyes or other additives that covered up the spots.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:33 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
The only way to keep a black car nice is to protect it AND never drive it.
I disagree. I had my PPF applied to my entire car and then topcoat it with hydrosilex and while it does get dirty, it always looks perfect after a quick wash. No swirls ever with the 100% coverage of the clearbra.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:36 PM
Big Lou
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Sounds like overspray. Need pics. Maybe too rough for clay.

Bingo! It is, indeed, overspray; have no idea where it came from, but I drove through an invisible paint cloud...My guess, in hindsight , is near my office building where they were painting a building last week. Paint correction appointment has been made...I guess it could’ve been worse!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I would find out who was painting and get them to pay for it. When I was working a paint crew on a nearby property got overspray on several cars parked along a fence where they were working and all of them were fixed by the painter's insurance company, with no hassles.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (08-21-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Waterloo
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I would find out who was painting and get them to pay for it. When I was working a paint crew on a nearby property got overspray on several cars parked along a fence where they were working and all of them were fixed by the painter's insurance company, with no hassles.
I agree. A few years ago we were painting our building and got over spray on a few of our employees cars. We paid to have them cleaned and polished. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply: WTF happened to my black paint??!!