Sponsored by:

911; Manual vs. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 02:27 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
And they used to charge for the automatic transmission. Manuals were standard.
Still the case on the 911!
Old 07-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I have always been a fan of manuals. But... For the 991, the sound of the upshift and downshifts is intoxicating in the PDK. Plus, I DD mine in traffic so the PDK was a no brainer. It all comes down to intended use - if I were to have a weekend only car, it would be a GT3 touring with the manual. However, I use it daily and the PDK makes commutes easier and the sounds add a little flair to the monotonous drive.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:54 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My 991.1 cabrio was the first car I've ever purchased where I got an allocation and spec'ed it to my liking. I opted for the PDK. Never owned a car with a PDK or DCT in another brand, and thought... "it'll might be fun." The car was never going to be a daily driver.

5 years on and I rued that decision. Leaving me with a choice of whether to change cogs on my own or let the car do it for me, I just stuck with the latter for some reason. Occasionally, I'd put it on Sport+ and click away at the paddles but I wouldn't do it for long, and even then it would somehow just leave me unsatisfied.

So a few months back I decided to swap that car for something that had a manual. Wife nixed the idea of selling the cabrio… reason being that all my target purchases were 2 seat hardtops and I still have kids that fit in the back of a 911 and like to go on top down cruises. So I bought a GT3, kept the cabrio and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:17 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

i grew up driving a stick and have logged many many miles in one.

That being said, Dual clutch transmissions just arent your fathers automatics. there is reason super and hyper cars are "autos" and it aint 'cause their owners cant drive a stick.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

OK, here's my experience. Always drove manuals. Back to the early 80's when most cars were manuals anyway. So my 2012 991.1 cab was a manual. Loved it. My next car was a red 991.1 cab with the PDK. Loved the cab, and Guards Red, but ultimately didn't love the PDK. My last car was a coupe with a manual and although I LOVED having 3 pedals again, the coupe part bugged me too much. I have my ultimate favorite car now. 2018 Guards Red 991.2 cab with 3 pedals. HARD to find. Went way out of state for it but it was TOTALLY worth it. Very few cabs around with a stick. I've made many mods to my car to make it perfect and I think I'll keep it forever.

For me, this car should just be a 3 pedal car like they always were back in the old days. Maybe that dates me. I don't care. It's just so much more fun to drive, and really, isn't that the point of this car??

alec
Old 07-22-2019, 06:39 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 552 Posts

If this matters, the Manual 991's will probably hold their values higher, especially among the enthusiasts crowd and the fact that far fewer have been produced.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I think this is an easier question than we make it out to be:

- Are you using the car as a daily driver - PDK is the answer.

- Are you interested in max performance on the track - go with PDK. It's faster.

- Are you buying this as a fun car to optimize driver engagement - get the stick

I swore I was getting a manual, even though it's my daily. Once I test drove a PDK, I knew I was not going back (as long as I use it as a daily). the PDK is that good for daily driving. And yes, it's still a ton of fun to shift using the paddles.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:11 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...pdk-tech-dept/
https://blog.dupontregistry.com/vide...-transmission/

Some data here
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...ed-manual.html

my simple answer does my 991.1 live predominantly in the race track? No, my car is a Daily Driver. I love being engaged with the mechanics and feel of the car as I drive and go through the gears as I drive. I had a Panamera 4S with was PDK. No was not my liking what so ever. Every time I hopped on my wife's Cayman R which has 6spd manual, it made me sad. So when I had a chance to ditch the Panamera for a 991.1S 7speed manual that had all the options I wanted, it was a no brainer. I DON'T feel the need nor want of having to get a PDK because it was .4 or .6 of a SECOND faster in a shift. I live in the daily commute to work and back plus the enjoyable sprints during the weekend and mash through those gears myself.

If your car spends the majority of its time in the garage and sees time only in the track to stretch its legs and requires the need to cut time then I'm all for anyone getting the PDK. But it's not my cup of tea. Love the versions of the GT3RS or GT2RS.....great cars but if I had a chance to buy it would be an equally fun car like a GT3/Touring/ GTS that still allows me a manual to drive in the streets. If I'm needing to cut every second or 1/2 second, I might as well get a dedicated track car

I drive daily in the shytty traffic of SF BayArea and that won't deter me from enjoying my manual. But each to their own, Just enjoy your car to your heart's content, ya'll work hard to afford it, so enjoy it. Theirs's truly no one better than the other, more a personal choice that dictates what your intent for the vehicle.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
If this matters, the Manual 991's will probably hold their values higher, especially among the enthusiasts crowd and the fact that far fewer have been produced.
This brings up an interesting point that I’ve been pondering. Are we ever going to get to a point where there will be more manual cars available than people who know how to drive them. What happens to then?
Old 07-22-2019, 07:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

Like coupes vs convertibles...
Or NA vs turbo...
Or gas vs diesel/EV/etc...

Stick vs automatic? Used to be pretty easy in the Tiptronic era. Not as easy in the PDK era. Both are great. For me? If it's a street car and will spend most of its time on U.S. roads, stick every time it's available. Every time. If it will spend a lot of time on the track, autocross, or autobahn, I'd probably go PDK.

YMMV...which is why there's a choice. Thankfully, both choices are now excellent.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Drove manuals for 20 years and moved on.
As an owner of 2 steptronic, 1 DCT, and 1 PDK transmissions I can tell you that I drive them all almost exclusively in a manual mode but, from a user experience standpoint, I do NOT miss the absence, or need, to press a pedal in order to change a gear.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Drive them both and decide for yourself, and if you had searched this forum you will find everyone's opinion, except yours. But since you asked, anyone can put their right foot on the gas and go but you cannot say the same thing if a 3rd pedal is added.
And yet they still pay F1 drivers millions of dollars to do just that. Must be more to driving than just stomping on the gas, huh.

Some folks like to drive the transmission, while others like to drive the car.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:17 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
This brings up an interesting point that I’ve been pondering. Are we ever going to get to a point where there will be more manual cars available than people who know how to drive them. What happens to then?
Its funny to me that only in the US do people think it’s some kind of special skill to drive a manual...everywhere else in the world it’s just a normal thing even your grandma wouldn’t think twice about it!
The following users liked this post:
emix75 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Old 07-23-2019, 12:23 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default this

In lots of places in europe you have to pay double to get a rental car with an automatic.

Originally Posted by sr5959
Its funny to me that only in the US do people think it’s some kind of special skill to drive a manual...everywhere else in the world it’s just a normal thing even your grandma wouldn’t think twice about it!
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (07-23-2019)

Quick Reply: 911; Manual vs. Automatic