Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot C-Tek and plug, and now no green light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:33 AM
ricm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hot C-Tek and plug, and now no green light?

For several years I've been using a C-Tek 3300 plugged into the center console outlet of my '13 991. The green light would appear and would stay green for several weeks. Lately, I noticed that the light stays orange without a green. The charger itself is extremely hot and the adapter is also hot. I have two 3300s and tried the other with a different plug adapter and the same thing happens. The same with the footwell outlet. I'm willing to do a direct battery hardwire but why would this start happening after so many years? Plus I never noticed that the charging unit or plug got so hot. I do get a green light when I start the car with the C-Tek plugged in so it seems that the electrical system is talking to the C-Tek. Perhaps a bad battery (it's the original from 2013), two bad C-Teks? Anyone? Thanks!
Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You are getting to that outter edge of battery life. +6 years is very good battery life on an OE Porsche product. Can you get the battery load tested someplace convenient?
Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I hard wired my C-tek. I don't trust those cigar lighters.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:32 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ricm
For several years I've been using a C-Tek 3300 plugged into the center console outlet of my '13 991. The green light would appear and would stay green for several weeks. Lately, I noticed that the light stays orange without a green. The charger itself is extremely hot and the adapter is also hot. I have two 3300s and tried the other with a different plug adapter and the same thing happens. The same with the footwell outlet. I'm willing to do a direct battery hardwire but why would this start happening after so many years? Plus I never noticed that the charging unit or plug got so hot. I do get a green light when I start the car with the C-Tek plugged in so it seems that the electrical system is talking to the C-Tek. Perhaps a bad battery (it's the original from 2013), two bad C-Teks? Anyone? Thanks!

As stated previously your battery is likely starting to fail. The 3300 is designed to start charging at a lower voltage and gradually ramp up the voltage and current. Your battery tender is getting hot because its trying to charge your battery at a higher current during the process. Most battery tenders are designed to ramp up at a maximum of 4.0 amp and gradually ramp down as the battery is charged (holding a charge). Your 12 VDC connectors and plug are also heating up because that is the weakest contact point in your charging system where the components experience the highest electrical resistance. Just a thought..... are you setting the charger in the [SNOWFLAKE MODE]? If no, select the snowflake mode on your battery tender when you replace your battery.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
As stated previously your battery is likely starting to fail. The 3300 is designed to start charging at a lower voltage and gradually ramp up the voltage and current. Your battery tender is getting hot because its trying to charge your battery at a higher current during the process. Most battery tenders are designed to ramp up at a maximum of 4.0 amp and gradually ramp down as the battery is charged (holding a charge). Your 12 VDC connectors and plug are also heating up because that is the weakest contact point in your charging system where the components experience the highest electrical resistance. Just a thought..... are you setting the charger in the [SNOWFLAKE MODE]? If no, select the snowflake mode on your battery tender when you replace your battery.
Only if you use an AGM battery.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
Only if you use an AGM battery.
Correct!
Old 07-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Definitely get a new battery. I just changed mine out after 6 years and my Ctek goes to green almost instantly now.

Quick Reply: Hot C-Tek and plug, and now no green light?