Sponsored by:

Xpel on headlights?

Old 07-14-2019, 12:51 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
In our experience, Suntek is the most user friendly and consistent installation. XPEL would be next, and 3M is to follow assuming you get material that isn’t defective. 3M adhesive has been unpredictable for us, especially 60” roll, and we no longer use the material
Thanks for chiming in Moe! Do you choose to apply the Suntek on the 911 headlights or are you comfortable using Xpel for the headlights? I’ve read thru past posts and seems like your shop covers the headlights almost all of the time. That’s good to know that it’s done regularly and not an issue.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

I say go for it. Either you get chips, which can't be corrected, or you get delamination of the UV coating, which you could just polish/wetsand off and then put new clear film on top of.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:42 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 695 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Thanks for chiming in Moe! Do you choose to apply the Suntek on the 911 headlights or are you comfortable using Xpel for the headlights? I’ve read thru past posts and seems like your shop covers the headlights almost all of the time. That’s good to know that it’s done regularly and not an issue.
i think I can count on one hand the headlights we HAVEN’T protected. And yes, we’re comfortable installing with both xpel and Suntek

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I say go for it. Either you get chips, which can't be corrected, or you get delamination of the UV coating, which you could just polish/wetsand off and then put new clear film on top of.
Very well said...you’ve been well-informed Sir
The following users liked this post:
Gary JR (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 01:45 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2 cents. I had Suntek applied to my headlights, 18 months later had the film replaced. The coating lifted small spot, on one of the lights during removal by a very skilled installer removing the film correctly, It can happen. The light was wet sanded, polished, and new film applied. Looks OEM, I can’t see a damn thing other than a crystal clear, pit free lens.

Last edited by titan7; 07-14-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:47 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 695 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
My 2 cents. I had Suntek applied to my headlights, 18 months later had the film replaced. The coating lifted small spot, on one of the lights during removal by a very skilled installer removing the film correctly, It can happen. The light was wet sanded, polished, and new film applied. Looks OEM, I can’t see a damn thing oter than a crystal clear, pit free lens.
Murphy’s Law titan7...of the thousands of 991 headlights I’ve done, go figure yours would be the first delam 😉

but the silver lining...if it passes your eyes, 99.999% of others wouldn’t even see...so I guess it’s a great example of when it actually does delam and it’s repaired properly

it was worth the effort though...your original install was our v.2 and new one is v.4...as we constantly improve our technique and installs, it was a great refresh as v.4 is near undetectable custom installation
The following users liked this post:
Gary JR (07-14-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xpel on headlights?