Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE not working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:48 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 704 Posts

Got car back from dealer. They replaced the change over valve. Everything seemed to be working good.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 09-12-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:46 AM
mrchua
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Got car back from dealer. They replaced the change over valve. Everything seemed to be working good.
Thanks for the update.

Would you know how many COVs they replaced?
I ordered 2 COVs from suncoast just in case...
Old 09-13-2019, 07:44 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Like others, I've had lines pop off. Strange how Porsche uses clamps in some locations and not other... even when the hose to actuator has no barb to retain the hose :/

It has happened more than once and seems like once you remove and reinstall a line it is much more prone to coming off. I have some high end vacuum hose that I've used on other applications I may try; it's neat stuff that tends to tighten as you try to pull it off.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:50 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy

Hey Adam,
you said you wired the valves in the up position, but was actually quieter correct? Once they replaced the COV did the exhaust get louder? I installed the PSE exhaust, got the button and had it coded. the PSE light comes on, but the valves don't move. Even safety wired up (or down) the car doesn't make the burbles and crackles that I see on all the videos. It was a brand new center muffler from Porsche, and the dealer confirmed the vaccuum lines were ran correctly.

Has anyone else had this issue? It stinks to put all this money and work into it (ok, maybe a handful of hours) and it not sound as expected. I'm tempted to take it off and sell it and just go X pipe...though I really like the idea of having the button to turn on and off.

Any advise? I'm leaning towards replacing the COV but still doesn't explain why the muffler when the valves safety wired in the UP position is still pretty quiet with no burbles and cracks. Any thoughts anyone?
Old 02-24-2020, 10:29 AM
infinitest
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad you shared this experience. I noticed my exhaust button doesn't change the tone of the exhaust at idle in any of the driving modes (normal, sport, sport+). I also can't tell if it makes a difference throughout the rev range, so it seems I may have the same issue. Scheduled an appointment to take it in to the dealer to have them look at it.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:32 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Originally Posted by infinitest
Glad you shared this experience. I noticed my exhaust button doesn't change the tone of the exhaust at idle in any of the driving modes (normal, sport, sport+). I also can't tell if it makes a difference throughout the rev range, so it seems I may have the same issue. Scheduled an appointment to take it in to the dealer to have them look at it.
Keep us posted with what they say. I'm also curious if i'm just jaded because i've had louder cars before and the PSE just isn't that loud (even if it does change the tone of the exhaust).

PS ; can anyone confirm that when the PSE is ENABLED (loud mode) that the valves are UP or are the valves DOWN?
Old 02-24-2020, 11:37 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkfx
Hey Adam,
you said you wired the valves in the up position, but was actually quieter correct? Once they replaced the COV did the exhaust get louder? I installed the PSE exhaust, got the button and had it coded. the PSE light comes on, but the valves don't move. Even safety wired up (or down) the car doesn't make the burbles and crackles that I see on all the videos. It was a brand new center muffler from Porsche, and the dealer confirmed the vaccuum lines were ran correctly.

Has anyone else had this issue? It stinks to put all this money and work into it (ok, maybe a handful of hours) and it not sound as expected. I'm tempted to take it off and sell it and just go X pipe...though I really like the idea of having the button to turn on and off.

Any advise? I'm leaning towards replacing the COV but still doesn't explain why the muffler when the valves safety wired in the UP position is still pretty quiet with no burbles and cracks. Any thoughts anyone?
From my understanding if the COV fails, the exhaust will remain in the open "loud" state. That is how mine was.

Safety wired in the UP position should be quiet mode.

While I agree the PSE could be a little louder, and I ended up going aftermarket exhaust, it should be very obvious whether PSE is working or not. It goes from noticeable exhaust noise to Toyota Camry quiet.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:45 AM
dkfx
Advanced

From my understanding if the COV fails, the exhaust will remain in the open "loud" state. That is how mine was.

Safety wired in the UP position should be quiet mode.

While I agree the PSE could be a little louder, and I ended up going aftermarket exhaust, it should be very obvious whether PSE is working or not. It goes from noticeable exhaust noise to Toyota Camry quiet.
thanks man. I guess i'll take my safety wired valves off and try again... It just didn't seem to have the burbles and cracks and pops that I had seen in all the videos. I did see some people say that the fiberglass needed to be 'broken in' or something, where it would get louder as time went on. I had other people say it randomly got louder after driving it a few days, have you heard anything like that?

Which exhaust did you end up going with? I'm looking at just doing an X- pipe from sharkwerks or something if the PSE doesn't get louder.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:50 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkfx
thanks man. I guess i'll take my safety wired valves off and try again... It just didn't seem to have the burbles and cracks and pops that I had seen in all the videos. I did see some people say that the fiberglass needed to be 'broken in' or something, where it would get louder as time went on. I had other people say it randomly got louder after driving it a few days, have you heard anything like that?

Which exhaust did you end up going with? I'm looking at just doing an X- pipe from sharkwerks or something if the PSE doesn't get louder.
Exhaust should get a little louder as it breaks it. If you want to elicit the most sound from it, get it good and hot in sport mode. Let it rev down from high RPM a few times under load.

I was saving up for the Soul PP exhaust, but during process that came across a good deal on a used valved Cargraphic. I am happy with it. Whatever you do, make sure it has valves, because loud mode is... loud.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:38 PM
dkfx
Advanced

Exhaust should get a little louder as it breaks it. If you want to elicit the most sound from it, get it good and hot in sport mode. Let it rev down from high RPM a few times under load.

I was saving up for the Soul PP exhaust, but during process that came across a good deal on a used valved Cargraphic. I am happy with it. Whatever you do, make sure it has valves, because loud mode is... loud.
Thanks man!

I think i've seen too many videos on youtube where it instantly changes and pops and burbles while just sitting there revving. who knows...

edit for anyone else finding this thread in the future: replaced the COV as suspected failure point, everything works as it should now. about 90 mins to replace and put back together / put tools away / giggle while you press the button and rev it up a bunch

Last edited by dkfx; 02-26-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: PSE not working?