Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   PSE not working? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1151912-pse-not-working.html)

AdamSanta85 07-12-2019 10:01 AM

PSE not working?

Got my CPO 991.1 C2S about a month ago. I noticed that when I pushed the PSE button (factory installed) I didn't hear a sound difference at idle. Same when I push Sport button (which enables PSE). However my exhaust pops and burbles really good on decel in sport mode so I just assumed the valves didn't open until WOT or something. However I was hanging with my buddy and his 997.2 GT3 with PSE, the second you hit the button, you hear a difference. Watched some 991.1 exhaust videos testing PSE and you immediately hear a difference. That got me thinking....

So I did some testing last night laying under car with helper in drivers seat.

1. Push PSE button inside, actuators don't move
2. Push sport button, actuators don't move
3. Using my hand to manually move the PSE actuators, big change in tone

Vacuum lines by the actuators to where they enter the body/bracket all look good. Car has full warranty so not to worried about this, but trips to the dealer are a hassle. Any other suggestions I could look at before bringing it in? My assumption is one of the change over valves is bad? No errors or dash or anything like that.

Part of me is excited, because I have yet to experience what PSE is on my car, since it never worked. Glass half full?

Al.Fresco 07-12-2019 10:05 AM

My money is on the COV.

JW911 07-12-2019 10:20 AM

Look for a vacuum line that may have fallen off. Mine came off and dealer fixed it and added a hose clamp to keep it in place.

AdamSanta85 07-12-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JW911 (Post 15968464)
Look for a vacuum line that may have fallen off. Mine came off and dealer fixed it and added a hose clamp to keep it in place.

Can I see the lines without pulling the bumper cover? The lines I can see under the car look good.

Ironically I had the bumper cover off yesterday to install BMC filters... but I don't think the exhaust was ever working correctly because I remember picking it up at dealer, pushing the button, and expecting a change in tone, and not hearing it, which made me assume it only changes at high rpm or something? But like I said, she still cracks and burbles like a MOFO in sport mode, so i assumed the exhaust must be working.

mgordon18 07-12-2019 10:37 AM

Maybe the car is stuck IN loud mode... You might end up getting a decrease in sound when you get it all working...

VII7 07-12-2019 10:38 AM

Likely the change over valve, there is a problem with water intrusion (because the connector is crappy), after several iterations of valves an additional length of wire has been added to the fix.

Porsche inexplicably does blind control for most of the items used with these COV so you won't get an error for most failures.

AdamSanta85 07-12-2019 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mgordon18 (Post 15968506)
Maybe the car is stuck IN loud mode... You might end up getting a decrease in sound when you get it all working...

I wish. When I manually push the actuators, it gets louder. I might use some wire to hold the actuators open when I get home tonight, and go for a cruise.

CLeagones 07-12-2019 11:22 AM

More then likely the COV. I just had mine changed out because it literally split almost in half (weird)....But with a brand new COV and harness put in, the PSE still doesn't work. All the lines are in place but the valves still wont open.. Any ideas to help me and others with this PSE issue.
991.1C4S

jkfuel 07-12-2019 11:25 AM

Vacuum line fell off when mine did the same.

VII7 07-12-2019 11:30 AM

Verify vacuum switching at line before actuators, if ok remove and test actuators.

AdamSanta85 07-12-2019 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jkfuel (Post 15968600)
Vacuum line fell off when mine did the same.

Where did it fall off? Can you get to the area without removing bumper?

CLeagones 07-12-2019 11:57 AM

They "usually" fall off the actual exhaust valves on the exhaust

AdamSanta85 07-12-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by VII7 (Post 15968608)
Verify vacuum switching at line before actuators, if ok remove and test actuators.

I've got a hand vacuum pump I can put on one of the actuators, but if it's an actuator, it's going to dealer for warranty repair anyway.

Looking for obvious things I could potentially fix and avoid the dealer.

CLeagones 07-12-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by VII7 (Post 15968608)

Can you explain how to actually do this ?? I can DM you on this if that helps.

AdamSanta85 07-12-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by CLeagones (Post 15968672)
They "usually" fall off the actual exhaust valves on the exhaust

Ah, yea mine are on the actuators, OEM lines with clamps and all.