Sponsored by:

PSE not working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:00 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by CLeagones
Can you explain how to actually do this ?? I can DM you on this if that helps.
To test actuator, you put something like this on there, it pulls vacuum and should open the actuator. I use it to test turbo wastegate actuators.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-12-2019, 04:43 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Heading to the dealer 7/25, got them to give me a loaner. Going to use wire the valves open tonight and take it for a rip.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:06 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Can I see the lines without pulling the bumper cover? The lines I can see under the car look good.

Ironically I had the bumper cover off yesterday to install BMC filters... but I don't think the exhaust was ever working correctly because I remember picking it up at dealer, pushing the button, and expecting a change in tone, and not hearing it, which made me assume it only changes at high rpm or something? But like I said, she still cracks and burbles like a **** in sport mode, so i assumed the exhaust must be working.
What you’re likely hearing is engine braking, which is a feature of Sport Mode.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:41 PM
thejazzman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My PSE is behaving exactly like yours. I just checked and when I press the Sport or PSE buttons, the valves don't open. If I manually push one open, I can hear a distinct difference. I'm anxious to find out if it is a COV issue and how to fix.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:45 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Update: Wired the valves the other direction, holding them what I thought was open, but was actually closed.

PSE (luckily) failed in the open position. That explains why the car sounds sounds so good all the time. Not in such a hurry to get the dealer now. This car is almost Camry quiet with the exhaust in normal mode. I immediately removed things holding them closed.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:46 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Maybe the car is stuck IN loud mode... You might end up getting a decrease in sound when you get it all working...
You were right.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 PM
thejazzman
Advanced

Just to be clear. You start your car and press the Sport button or the PSE button and the PSE valves don't move. They look like this?

and when you push either of these rods, the exhaust has a deeper tone? (That's what I hear from mine)

Then, as a test you wired the valves so that they were both in this position?

and the sound was quieter?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:39 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thejazzman
...and the sound was quieter?
Correct. Wired in the up position is closed. I had never heard my car in the closed/quiet position since the PSE never worked. Initially I assumed that the car was going to be louder wired up, but once I took it for a drive I was... disappointed.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:08 PM
thejazzman
Advanced

Correct. Wired in the up position is closed. I had never heard my car in the closed/quiet position since the PSE never worked. Initially I assumed that the car was going to be louder wired up, but once I took it for a drive I was... disappointed.
Thanks!

I think I understand why we were confused - and based on a few other threads here, we are not alone. I think when the car is off and cold, the PSE valves are open. When you start the car (cold), the valves stay open for a minute or two and then they automatically close. Thereafter, the Sport button or the PSE button will open/close them. The only thing that still confuses me is why when the valves are open and you push one (by hand) closed, the tone seems deeper and louder.

I'm satisfied that I don't have an issue, so I can focus on something else more important. Thanks, again!
Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

You were right.
Yeah. I had a feeling when you mentioned that you had the pops and gurgles happening. That means the flaps we're staying open.

Glad you're happy with it that way, although you should probably still get it looked at. The mechanicals are still, in fact, broken... I'd want my car car working as intended and would rather make a purposeful change to make the sound better. That being said, I understand where you're coming from!
Old 07-15-2019, 02:53 PM
CLeagones
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had a local German auto shop change out the faulty COV but my PSE valves still wont open. I currently have the exhaust vacuum lines blocked at the exhaust valves so their always open at the moment but I keep getting the usual "Cooling fault message See dealership".
I really hate going to a dealership as this is my DIY car and I'm sure it will expensive but I may have to because I do want it working correctly. I recently bought my 991.1C4S and installed a Soul exhaust (Love it) and noticed that they weren't opening and they probably never did.

Any suggestions on the next step I could look at prior to taking it to the "Stealership"?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:15 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There are 8 COV,s in the system, and I understand it could any one of them.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:26 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts

If you are getting the coolant fault (that one is monitored), it's likely a vacuum leak and if you have plugged the lines at the exhaust the leak is elsewhere, no easy diagnostics, will need to trace lines.

Originally Posted by CLeagones
I just had a local German auto shop change out the faulty COV but my PSE valves still wont open. I currently have the exhaust vacuum lines blocked at the exhaust valves so their always open at the moment but I keep getting the usual "Cooling fault message See dealership".
I really hate going to a dealership as this is my DIY car and I'm sure it will expensive but I may have to because I do want it working correctly. I recently bought my 991.1C4S and installed a Soul exhaust (Love it) and noticed that they weren't opening and they probably never did.

Any suggestions on the next step I could look at prior to taking it to the "Stealership"?
Old 08-22-2019, 04:26 AM
mrchua
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Adam, any update on your pse valves? Im following this thread because im experiencing the same problem even.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:35 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrchua
Hi Adam, any update on your pse valves? Im following this thread because im experiencing the same problem even.
Dropped it off at dealership this morning. They assume it's the COV. In the mean time I will be enjoying my 19' Panamera 4S loaner (like my 911 a lot more). I'll update when they fix it.

Quick Reply: PSE not working?