Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM
raaizin
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 63 Posts

I shipped my 911 in 2016 from las vegas to jersey shore for 2k with intercity. Also used them for an old corvette years ago great experience both times
The following users liked this post:
Intercity Lines (07-23-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

I have used uShip three times with great results. It's almost like reverse eBay for shipping, where shippers bid to move your item.

You can specify open or closed transport, and the pickup window and drop off window. Shippers then "bid" on your shipment. You can read all the reviews of each shipper. You can then watch as they bid against each other, but also pick anyone you like at anytime.

I had great results each time I have used them.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:34 PM
ahung
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Last summer I purchased my 911 from Champion Porsche in FL. They arranged the shipping from FL to CA and used a company called Top Line Service Auto Transport. It was a fully enclosed 2-level trailer. Price was approx. $1800 which was significantly less than the quotes I received from Plycar and Intercity. The car was delivered clean and in perfect condition. I was extremely nervous as it was my first time purchasing and shipping a car but I would not hesitate to use them again. Driver was very friendly and stated they deal with high-end/exotic cars regularly. I also noticed the 2 new Lambos that were going to be dropped off after my stop. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not my thread, but figured I would chime in with what I went with this week. Quotes from Texas to Va. enclosed trailer. I went with Nick @ Plycar due to the posts I found here saying great service.

Reliable - 2200
Highend Transport -1795
Nick@Plycar - 1500
Montway - 1400
Ship A Car - 1220
FutureCaymanGuy (01-20-2021)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Pwannabe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Shipped from Cary NC to Seattle WA. Some of the recommended companies above do not run that route. Dealer recommended to use Hanover Auto Transport who was a broker. Charged $2200 for a closed transport but it took 3 weeks. Not the best communication, would not use again.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:41 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwannabe
Shipped from Cary NC to Seattle WA. Some of the recommended companies above do not run that route. Dealer recommended to use Hanover Auto Transport who was a broker. Charged $2200 for a closed transport but it took 3 weeks. Not the best communication, would not use again.
Thanks for sharing and hopefully at the end of the day car is safe and sound. Good reference for those seeking good transport. I would not use a broker personally, and only deal direct with the company who would be shipping/trucking the car themselves but YMMV
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM
Pwannabe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Thanks for sharing and hopefully at the end of the day car is safe and sound. Good reference for those seeking good transport. I would not use a broker personally, and only deal direct with the company who would be shipping/trucking the car themselves but YMMV
Big lesson learned for me, but it was my first ever out-of-state purchase and also from a large Porsche dealership. My knowledgable friends all suggested going with my own transport company (e.g. Reliable, Intercity, etc) but the dealership insisted using their own guy due to coordination reasons. Unfortunately it was poorly managed and they didn't get the car picked up until 8-9 days after I signed all the paperwork, and then afterwards the dealership washed their hands of it and no one knew where the car was for another week (found out the transport company let the driver spend some vacation time w/ his family...). To make matters worse, the dealership had very little communication during this whole time, which I was surprised at for the amount of cash invested. I ended up submitting a complaint to PCNA and was not sure during those 3 weeks if I might actually ever get a car.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:28 AM
charliedrives
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big lesson learned for me, but it was my first ever out-of-state purchase and also from a large Porsche dealership. My knowledgable friends all suggested going with my own transport company (e.g. Reliable, Intercity, etc) but the dealership insisted using their own guy due to coordination reasons. Unfortunately it was poorly managed and they didn't get the car picked up until 8-9 days after I signed all the paperwork, and then afterwards the dealership washed their hands of it and no one knew where the car was for another week (found out the transport company let the driver spend some vacation time w/ his family...). To make matters worse, the dealership had very little communication during this whole time, which I was surprised at for the amount of cash invested. I ended up submitting a complaint to PCNA and was not sure during those 3 weeks if I might actually ever get a car.
That sounds like the worst possible experience you can have with shipping your nice new Porsche. I've been looking to ship a 991 from a private party. Good to know that I should just use a large reputable shipping company. Pay a couple hundred more but save a lot on head aches and heart break.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:25 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear. Did you get the car ok? Hopefully that's just a minor blip for an awesome ownership experience. Good lesson for those seeking transport as mentioned above

Weird that the dealer insisted on using their own guy, never had that experience before with shipping cars from a Porsche dealer. There was another story on here a year or two ago about a 997 RS 4.0 getting burned down during transport, the buyer had insisted on using a broker/off-name transport if I am not mistaken... buyer beware
Old 07-18-2019, 12:45 PM
tempexec
1st Gear

Default Great shipping experience

Just shipped my newly purchased 991.2 cab from Maryland to Massachusetts for $700 covered/enclosed. Great experience and took about 24 hours from time of pick up until car was in my driveway.
Shout out to Chris Kyle, Nationwide Transport 954-246-3732.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:51 PM
cayman_gts
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ thats not bad at all. distance tranvelled contributes to quotes
Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper
I have used uShip three times with great results. It's almost like reverse eBay for shipping, where shippers bid to move your item.

You can specify open or closed transport, and the pickup window and drop off window. Shippers then "bid" on your shipment. You can read all the reviews of each shipper. You can then watch as they bid against each other, but also pick anyone you like at anytime.

I had great results each time I have used them.
Those are the guys on that cable show "shipping wars"?

You might get someone who knows his stuff, but them again you could get a knucklehead. Based on what I have seen on the show, I'm not sure I want to risk damaging a 100K Porsche with any of these guys. It is the lowest bidder that gets the job, after all. They might just show up with a pair of skate boards and a chain...
Honda (01-20-2020)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Those are the guys on that cable show "shipping wars"?

You might get someone who knows his stuff, but them again you could get a knucklehead. Based on what I have seen on the show, I'm not sure I want to risk damaging a 100K Porsche with any of these guys. It is the lowest bidder that gets the job, after all. They might just show up with a pair of skate boards and a chain...
That is not how it works - I have used them when buying/selling motorcycles. The one that wants something moves decides who does it and it has nothing to do with the bid amount. Shippers have feedback ratings with comments just as on ebay and you know what they use to transport your ride.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:44 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used Horseless Carriage and was very pleased. Not cheap, but good,
991Targa4S (10-03-2021)
Old 01-16-2020, 08:37 AM
Muller21QQQ
2nd Gear

I don't use car shipping services (I'm moving my car by myself)

Quick Reply: Car Shipping